Can Carrying a Gun Lead to Recklessness? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Can Carrying a Gun Lead to Recklessness?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 5.80%
  • No

39 56.52%
  • Sometimes

24 34.78%
  • Undecided

2 2.90%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Can Carrying a Gun Lead to Recklessness?

I voted yes.
    The question was can it happen.
    Does it happen among CCW people? Extremely rare.
    Of course that is no surprise, either.
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

A am far less reckless than I was well before I started carrying many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    A am far less reckless than I was well before I started carrying many years ago.
    AKA getting old

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    36 posts by you so far compared to 3218 posts. A good number of your posts have been personally attacking and insulting. However, the vast majority of Blues's have been informative, enlightening, and thought provoking.

I'm not sure why you have conducted a poll and then decided to be a provocateur against those who tried to respond to it. I asked this once and you did not answer. Instead you decided to resort to name calling. It's odd at best and extremely childish at most. You mentioned to me earlier that I was a Fire Breather when I pointed out conducted by you that was ill-mannered and you stated that it wasn't directed toward me, so I should stand down. I probably will here shortly since you are proving yourself more and more to be a provocateur rather than one who actually wants to provide good spirited debate, provide good honest opinions, or provide good reference. This last post by you that I'm quoting is quite appalling. It is something akin to how a teenager acts when they want to start a fight with someone. No one wants to fight you. We would appreciate it if you were more civil.
    All right, Wolf Fire. A fine balanced commentary. Thank you. I will make an honest attempt to start over with a clean slate. First of all, thank you ,Johnny Dollar and GlassWolf for the backup posts. Secondly, a second apology to Blues Stringer, who I unfairly maligned, and also a mea culpa to Wolf Fire and Rhino, both of whom I satirized/insulted beyond decent bounds.

Thirdly,although I have only a few dozen posts at USA, there are 30,000 more out there since 2003 on a half dozen other gun forums. That includes starting more threads and running more (hopefully worthwhile) polls than anyone else on the "gun" internet, TMK. So, this is not my first Rodeo.

Lastly,Moderation does not exist here to keep intemperance within "civil" bounds. That is what destroyed Packing.Org,the original great gun forum in 2007. We don't want that to happen here.Self moderation becomes the key. I promise to keep myself within bounds from this point.

One last observation. If you read the OP in this thread, you will see that the wording of the headline is not mine, but of Ana Suarez, the Miami Herald reporter. Perhaps I should have clarified that more thoroughly at the beginning, and much grief would have been avoided.

But as Thomas Wolfe said in 1929 ,"We can't go home again".

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Blue View Post
    All right, Wolf Fire. A fine balanced commentary. Thank you. I will make an honest attempt to start over with a clean slate. First of all, thank you ,Johnny Dollar and GlassWolf for the backup posts. Secondly, a second apology to Blues Stringer, who I unfairly maligned, and also a mea culpa to Wolf Fire and Rhino, both of whom I satirized/insulted beyond decent bounds.

Thirdly,although I have only a few dozen posts at USA, there are 30,000 more out there since 2003 on a half dozen other gun forums. That includes starting more threads and running more (hopefully worthwhile) polls than anyone else on the "gun" internet, TMK. So, this is not my first Rodeo.

Lastly,Moderation does not exist here to keep intemperance within "civil" bounds. That is what destroyed Packing.Org,the original great gun forum in 2007. We don't want that to happen here.Self moderation becomes the key. I promise to keep myself within bounds from this point.

One last observation. If you read the OP in this thread, you will see that the wording of the headline is not mine, but of Ana Suarez, the Miami Herald reporter. Perhaps I should have clarified that more thoroughly at the beginning, and much grief would have been avoided.

But as Thomas Wolfe said in 1929 ,"We can't go home again".

Peace.
    Well said.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I think maybe we're not going anywhere productive here. Can we just call this whole thing a truce and move along? We've shared our views. I think the OP has what he came for.
    I will certainly second this
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Nothing in this thread has provided proof of anything to answer the OP's question. I offered an alternative view, but if you're in the mood to nitpick things apart, then nothing you offered so far has proven anything to the contrary, or really, anything at all either. As I stated earlier, I was offering one view of psychology that would affect the outcome of the question, although as I also noted, the question itself has some problems of it's own.
    As a poll, it's more a matter of opinion than proof. Proving something like that empirically would be nearly impossible anyway without psychological analysis of a great many people, which just isn't going to happen. And even if it did, there would probably be one heck of a lot of contentious debate on the validity of the analysis. Your use of the word "view" is totally appropriate, because answers here would be restricted to viewpoints, and wouldn't be provable, at least not scientifically. But polls aren't really designed to be scientific or empirical evidence anyway. They're more designed to gauge opinion, mood or widely held sentiment. This one could possibly be useful along those lines if the questions were corrected as has been mentioned. The basic premise of the question and what it is trying to gauge is there. I think we all see that. All it needs is some minor editing of the words to get it where it should be. We shouldn't overlook the fact that most of us probably understand what the OP was trying to ask, even though we may or may not have worded it the same way. I'll add my vote to those saying we can dispense with the debate over words and get back to discussing the premise we knew was there all along.
    It seems that almost everyone here disagrees with the premise that carrying a gun necessarily emboldens people to take or accept more risk, and thus make themselves more susceptible to being engaged in situations or scenarios where the use of that gun might become necessary. That sounds to me like what the Miami Herald reporter was trying to suggest, and this poll question was based on that suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    I voted yes.
    The question was can it happen.
    Does it happen among CCW people? Extremely rare.
    Of course that is no surprise, either.
    That's why I chose sometimes as my answer.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Coyote, drop the attitude, name calling and flaming. Go read the site rules again.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Coyote, drop the attitude, name calling and flaming. Go read the site rules again.
    You are really late to the party,Luke. I've already apologized twice on this one thread. Twice to Blues. Ask Wolf Fire if this is fact or fiction. And then read the whole thread.

Regards,
    CB

Talking back to the forum owner is a sure way to win some brownie points.
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast