Last primary producer of lead in US closing...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last primary producer of lead in US closing...

ezkl2230 Guest

Last primary producer of lead in US closing...

Because of increasingly tight EPA regulations, the last primary lead smelter in the US (which produces lead from natural ore rather than recycled batteries and other lead-containing sources), the Herculaneum, MO, facility is closing its doors in December. While there are still secondary producers of lead operating (lead recyclers), this means that primary sources of lead are all overseas now. In other words, look for prices on lead bullets to increase.

Last Primary Lead Smelter in U.S. to Close Due to EPA Regulations | Texas GOP Vote

I'm guessing lead smelting will move to Mexico, NAFTA will kick in, and it may actually become cheaper.. The end result will just be a loss of more American jobs thanks to big government.

This really is just another example of Obama's attempts at an end-run around the Constitution. If he can't outright ban firearms, he'll try to ban certain types. When that fails, he'll try to force background checks and oppressive restrictions. When that fails, he'll try other means, like overwhelming taxation, using Police and government to scare people with middle of the night raids on law abiding citizens, using the EPA to shut down lead smelting, and so on and so forth. He's already used the government to dry up ammunition supplies for civilians and even law enforcement at this point.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

We'll just increase the amount of lead imported from China in baby food and paint on toys. Seriously, recycling lead will speed up. Another concern is that most storage batteries use lead plate in their manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    We'll just increase the amount of lead imported from China in baby food and paint on toys. Seriously, recycling lead will speed up. Another concern is that most storage batteries use lead plate in their manufacture.
    yeah and nearly all batteries (lead-acid anyway) are imported from second and third world countries already, like China, India, and Pakistan.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

6. Just another "under the radar" attack on shooting. I realize that lead production can produce some serious environmental issues, BUT this comes at a very volatile point as far as how the lead is being used. Bullets and ammo are scarce and becoming more expensive daily and now a domestic lead producer is forced out of business by EPA(anti-gun government harassment) regulations. This smells rotten.

I'm going to throw a curve ball here. I have an interesting question. We are all aware of the DHS ordering 1.6 billion rounds. There have been many conspiracy theories on this and I would like to steer clear of them. But if the DHS knew that with the laws of the EPA that this lead ore company was going to shut its doors, could ordering that much ammo be a way to make sure that Federal agents have good reliable lead ammo for a long time rather than worrying about what type of ammo could be coming out on the market in case lead prices start to sky rocket?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Its actually cheaper and faster to produce lead from recycling than lead ore and there is plenty of supply. Domestic lead prices have plummeted lately because of the vast supply. There is no problem to be created here except for the terrible loss of those jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
    Its actually cheaper and faster to produce lead from recycling than lead ore and there is plenty of supply. Domestic lead prices have plummeted lately because of the vast supply. There is no problem to be created here except for the terrible loss of those jobs.
    I did not know that. Thanks for the info.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Just following up on this, yesterday I saw Sierra Bullets newsletter addressing this plant shutdown. They say it will not seriously affect production, because they use about 90% recycled lead now. I hope they know what they are talking about!

I'm not convinced it's going to adversely affect ammunition prices. This was not done in the darkness. Producers have known it was coming. If they haven't adjusted to it by now, maybe they shouldn't be in business.
    www.inshadowinlight.com
    I don't care as much about making you more "tactical" as I do about making you better able to be the one still standing after the fight is over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast