Video/Audio recording - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video/Audio recording

Quote Originally Posted by paulooch1958 View Post
    There have been a lot of youtube videos showing encounters with police officers during traffic stops, etc. I think that this has been determined to be legal to do (even though it may bother the officer a bit). I have seen posts suggesting that a person involved in a self defense shooting try to record on video with his or her cellphone whatever evidence there may be at the scene (like shell casings, where the knife was tossed, etc).

This is fine, but there is only your word to go on in many cases as to what led up to the shooting. Time dilation, tunnel vision, and other factors lead to inaccurate memory of the incident. Of course you can't run around with a vid recorder running 24/7 so I was thinking about other ways to record, say the last few hours of audio on a continual basis.

I've found a device that does just that. It is a battery powered continuous loop pocket audio recorder. If an attack was to occur, it would be caught on the recording loop and then you could stop the recorder and the event could be captured for later review to (hopefully) help you defend yourself against a murder charge.

Does anyone know of the legality of this? If you can record video of an officer performing his duty, and if public places are by definition in the public domain, is there some problem of recording in this manner? You are not storing or archiving anything, except the last few minutes of a crisis situation.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul
    Can you give us more info on the device? It sounds like what I'm looking for.
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Got info about recording devices? Please DO NOT!!! share it on the open forum but please use the private message feature. No need to inform the anti gunners what "we the people" are (legally) using to defeat them.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Got info about recording devices? Please DO NOT!!! share it on the open forum but please use the private message feature. No need to inform the anti gunners what "we the people" are (legally) using to defeat them.
    I'm not sure how super-secret we need to keep the vendor information for an over the counter loop recorder, but since you asked with such emphasis, I won't post the item link here. This isn't rocket science and a quick Google search will find anything these days... but if anyone wants info on the specific item I was speaking of, send me a private message and I'll reply with the link.

Paul

@Bikenut FYI the anti's know about them already, so what difference does it make. We are monitored 24/7 by our elected servants. Suppression of information is impossiable.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I have to agree with the two previous posts, and would simply say in direct reply, without any 'tude or sarcasm or vitriol intended, that there is no need to hide from the anti-gunners what We, The People are legally doing on any subject.

It's as likely as not that if the NSA or related agencies had an interest in what is said here (and I have no doubt that they do), that they could just as easily get into the PM system as read the boards. They've already got access to our private email and cell phone accounts, how much more difficult could it conceivably be for them to get into PM systems on low-security web servers?

Besides all that, anyone who makes a purchase from, oh, say - some Amazonian kind of website using either a PayPal account or a credit card, the government knows about that too, or at least they have the technology in place to find out about it a big damned hurry if they manufactured a "need" to.

No disrespect intended to Bikenut at all, but I see this kind of issue very similar to how I see OC - I have no more reason to fear the government knowing of my legal activities than the government has valid and legal reasons to monitor them, or harass me over them, or abuse me over them etc. etc. As always, others' MMV.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

7. In Oklahoma the Oklahoma Highway Patrol do not have to release their dash cam videos to the public. The local city police have been forced to make their dash cam videos public. If there had been an inside video camera recording how Tulsa police officer Ms Kristy Maxwell Allen, treated me when she arrested me on July 16th 2010, and hauled me to jail in that dog cage in the back seat of her patrol car,my hands cuffed behind me tightly and the temp inside the patrol car where i was placed was around 115F. This while she played her RAP music and drove over 90 MPH to get rid of me so she could have the rest of the day off. If there had been a video of my treatment that day, i might have had a chance to prove how worthless this worthless Tulsa cop really was.

First off I didn't take anything that was said as being disrespectful or offensive or ... well... anything....

The reason I suggested not making every covert recording device out there known to those ...LE and anti gunner.... who peruse gun forums isn't because of what the big name government agencies may or may not know.... and they likely know what time I farted this morning plus what I ate to cause it... it is because small fry police depts. and individual officers also check out these forums... not to mention anti gunners do too. And it is not outside the realm of possibility for a recorder to be taken, the recordings deleted, and the recorder shut off. Or "accidentally" stepped on. I suspect an anti gunner might be aggressive enough to do something like that... and I suspect some LEO's might do that also. Or the recorder might be seized as "evidence" never to be seen again. So if they don't happen to know what a covert recorder looks like the odds are greater that the recording will survive to be of use in court.

That, my friends, is the concern behind my suggesting to not post what devices are available on/in the forum itself.

My concern may not be warranted.... Y'all decide for yourselves.

And I'm just too lazy today to go searching the 'net for incidents where the police did bad things to the recorders that folks had.... so my concern can be chalked up to just my personal opinion.

Edited to add:

Wait... I did a quick google search for "police seize cell phone" and got more than 5,000,000 results.... and everyone knows a cell phone is/could be/can be used as.......... a recorder.

9. I think recording laws, either in public or over the phone aren't necessarily to say that doing so is illegal. They simply determine whether that evidence is admissible in court or not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with recording phone calls without the other person's consent for your own personal use (I use to have a cell phone that would and wish I still did). You just can't always use that recording as evidence if the other person didn't consent.

10. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I think recording laws, either in public or over the phone aren't necessarily to say that doing so is illegal. They simply determine whether that evidence is admissible in court or not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with recording phone calls without the other person's consent for your own personal use (I use to have a cell phone that would and wish I still did). You just can't always use that recording as evidence if the other person didn't consent.
    I think you are correct the cop who transported this woman to the police station for an interview, who had her husband fall from a high rise apt building to his death. He had his cell phone or a recorder hidden, and recorded her talking with her grandmother about what happened. she had not been arrested so did not have her rights given to her. Also at the police station while in a room alone she talked again to her greanmother about what had happened in the Apt. leading up to her husband going through the window. And again she was being recorded, without knowing it. everything this woman said was used in her trial, and they got a conviction. So I say be warned keep your mouth shut and don't say anything without first contacting an Attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
    I think you are correct the cop who transported this woman to the police station for an interview, who had her husband fall from a high rise apt building to his death. He had his cell phone or a recorder hidden, and recorded her talking with her grandmother about what happened. she had not been arrested so did not have her rights given to her. Also at the police station while in a room alone she talked again to her greanmother about what had happened in the Apt. leading up to her husband going through the window. And again she was being recorded, without knowing it. everything this woman said was used in her trial, and they got a conviction. So I say be warned keep your mouth shut and don't say anything without first contacting an Attorney.
    And if they "the government" (and never forget that even local cops ARE "the government") can use recordings as evidence... why shouldn't we "the people" do the same? Think about that very carefully.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast