.32 acp
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .32 acp

.32 acp

The more I shoot my Bersa Thunder .32 acp the more I like it. It is just a fun gun to shoot. While having more punch than a .22 it still has only a small amount of recoil. It is accurate and dependable. Every time I shoot it I wonder why .32 acp is not more popular than it is. Most people consider .32 as a pocket gun caliber. But I sometimes carry mine IWB and feel comfortable that it will do the job if needed. It was a very popular gun for people for years in Europe. People carried it as did police and Army personnel. I guess America just got carried away with the bigger caliber. Seems like .380 acp has taken the place of the .32.
    I also have a Bersa .380 and also like it very much, it gives you more punch than the .32 with not a whole lot more recoil. I enjoy shooting it, but the .32 is even more fun to shoot. How about all you people buying a .32 acp then maybe ammo will be as cheap as .22lr?

3. Might be fun with a vintage ppk but for light recoil fun .22 is more economical and probably just as useful for a small concealed weapon, I try to keep my calibers limited though for ease of ammo buying

I just bought a box of 50 .32's from Wal Mart today. I have to be careful to get the flat nose FMJ or the rounds will bind in the magazine of my Kel Tec P32. Although the round nose will work in my Nagant revolver with the .32 conversion cylinder installed.

The difference in felt recoil between the diminutive P32 and the full size Nagant is remarkable with the P32 becoming very uncomfortable after just a few magazines fired but the Nagant could be fired all day..... yet they are both firing .32 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekul34 View Post
    Might be fun with a vintage ppk but for light recoil fun .22 is more economical and probably just as useful for a small concealed weapon, I try to keep my calibers limited though for ease of ammo buying
    I tend to agree with this post. Using a .22 magnum I see no real advantage to the .32 acp. Some may say that because the .32 acp is a center fire it is more reliable than a rim fire cartridge however I have never had a .22 magnum fail to fire on the first strike. .22LR I get misfires all the time. IMHO, the .22 magnum is a respectable cartridge but for a mouse gun I would opt for the .380.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

The Kel Tec P-32 seems to be a very popular pocket gun. It is not a range gun because as someone here said, after a few mags it is no longer much fun to shoot. But that is fine for a pocket gun because you don't figure to shoot a lot of rounds if you need it. I would imagine small .380 pocket guns are much more uncomfortable to shoot than the P-32.

I have never fired a .22 mag, is there much difference in recoil from the .32?

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    It was a very popular gun for people for years in Europe. People carried it as did police and Army personnel.
    I would venture that more people have been killed by being shot in the back of the neck/head with the .32acp in the cellars of government buildings or while kneeling in front of mass graves, than have EVER been killed in acts of self-defense with it.

In Europe, the handgun was a status symbol for petty bureaucrats. The third deputy Gauleiter in Illesheim wanted a badge of authority... just not a HEAVY badge of authority.

Personally, I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .380, and then only in a pocket gun. Given that a 9x19mm or .40 S&W Walther PPS isn't much bigger than a Walther PPK/S, I can't see carrying even a .380 IWB or OWB.

My Keltec P32 is my pocket BUG. Never had a failure of any kind. Don't really notice any recoil.
    That being said, I prefer my primary 45ACP.
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." --John Dryden,
    British poet, critic and playwright

Could be for this reason:
    A good comparison would be the Speer Gold Dot in .32 caliber, produces 123 lbs of energy.

The Speer Gold Dot in 380 caliber, produces 196 lbs of energy.

The .380 round weighs in at 90 gr and the 32 round weighs in at 60.

Now looking at the KE equation which is 1/2*mass*speed squared we can look to see if the .32 stacks up to the .380. First the .380 is 1.5 times bigger in mass to the .32. However, the energy is 1.59 times more. Therefore, the extra energy must come from the .380 having greater speed. So, versus the .380, the .32 is smaller in diameter, smaller in mass, and slower, therefore has considerably less energy. Thus, the .380 wins on all accounts. This is why it is more popular. I think how much "fun" it is doesn't weigh in as heavily as these other factors.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

However, there is a video online showing a .32 FMJ ball ammo shot from 10 feet and going thru 4 layers of denim then penetrating 14 inches in ballistic gel. I think that shows it will do fine in self defense. Plus you can shoot 2 or 3 shots faster since it recoils less. I have a Bersa Thunder .380 and it is a great gun also. I am fine with either the .380 or .32 at my side. You should not underestimate the .32 acp.

I guarantee that if you decided to use the Buffalo Bore 71 gr +P ammo to get the effects you just described your .32 would not be a "fun" gun to shoot anymore at 220 ft lbs of energy compared to a hollow point round. If you speed up any round (see equation in my post) you increase the energy exponentially. They get the speed up by over pressurizing the round. Also, the added pressure will wreak havoc on your firearm over time.

Also, you're comparing apples to oranges. You compare a FMJ (known for penetration since it doesn't expand) with hollow point (not known for as much penetration since it does expand).

My bet if given those two choices of calibers only would be to get the .380 and go with a quality hollow point (an actual defensive round) like a Gold Speer Dot round.

You do what you want cluznar. You have a history of promoting rounds that are equal to or smaller than a .380 (using promoting the .32 since you own that) and posting often about your choice and then disagreeing with the data provided and opinions of others. You are fully aware that the majority of the firearm community disagrees with your assessments that anything smaller than a .380 is more than likely not a good choice for a defensive round but continue to stir the pot about it every couple of months or so. That's cool, it's your choice and all, but it's getting old.

The following are just a few posts started by you in the recent past concerning the .32.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gener...etta-pico.html
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gener...ol-choice.html
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/conce...eal-carry.html
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handg...-comeback.html
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast