Were Your Parents Gunowners? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Were Your Parents Gunowners?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,both parents owned a gun and shot a gun

17 22.67%
  • Yes,Dad owned and shot a gun

31 41.33%
  • Yes,Mom owned and shot a gun

0 0%
  • No,neither parent owned a gun

26 34.67%
  • Other,Orphan,Can't remember,etc.

1 1.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Were Your Parents Gunowners?

Both parents served in the Military as officers, both owned firearms, both enjoyed shooting recreationally.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Dad grew up hunting and shooting. After he came home from WWII, he didn't hunt anymore. But he still would take the .22 out, and I remember him shooting out the flame of a candle, just to impress us kids. His brothers would do the same thing. He'd get his friends to drag me along hunting, and I got one fine education in the woods with those fine people. The old man has been gone 35 years now, and he's still missed.

Mom may have had the first gun in her hands just last month. She bought guns for dad but never handled or shot them. Dad was trained by the Navy with a 1911 and a 1903A3. He had had guns when growing up. My grandmother used a shotgun. My grandfather on dad's side is a ?. Great grandfather and on back owned guns all the way back to the founding of this country. My grandfather on mom's side was in WW I. Her side of the family also had guns going back to the founding of the US. Relatives on both sides were terrorist to the British in the Revolutionary War. And fought the French in the French and Indian War before that.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

My Dad owned a shotgun, he was a hunter. But that's the only firearm he owned. I own a bunch of guns and he seemed confused as to why I would want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    There were no guns in our house when I was growing up, just a few corroded .22 short rounds in a dresser drawer.

My father had carried a sawed off shotgun around in his car at various southern TVA camps as protection against Klansmen. His mother had owned at first a Luger that one of her brothers brought back from WWI, then a Colt Detective Special.

My mother's always been a party line Democrat, infused with the party line. When the Democrats went anti-gun, she went all the way with them, so no guns in the house.

Ironically, I had no interest in guns until my mother pointed out one of the "U.N.C.L.E. Specials" from "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. My grandmother started buying me gun books and magazines shortly thereafter. I got my first copy of "Small Arms of the World" between 7th and 8th grades. I've owned guns since I was in college.

My mother suddenly developed an appreciation for handguns after a mugger smacked her upside the head. Too bad she lived in Chicago when it happened, and could neither own nor carry one...
    So finish the story. What about your mother? Is she still living? In Chicago? Did she learn to use a gun?
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

Howdy,

I'm a farm boy from rural Arkansas where I grew up hunting and shooting.

My Dad was on a Rifle and Pistol team while he was in the Navy during the '50s and my stepdad was a FFL holder and had a FFL reloader's license.

When I was 12yo my two brothers and I was shooting tin cans with a .22 rifle and our Mom came outside a said she wanted to shoot too. We laughed because we had never seen our Mom shoot a gun except for a shotgun one time. So we loaded the gun, a Remington Nylon 66 and our Mom hit a can with every shot. We were shocked! She looked at us and said "I grew up on a farm. I know how to shoot. I grew up hunting with my Dad." and turned around and went back in the house.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

In the 1950's I went shooting quite often with my father. Numerous weapons for sure! It is where I also learned to not hold a semi auto pistol to close to my face. My father was army and he had the real deal 1911 45 military issue. I was holding this thing in my pudgy little hands when I was drawing it closer to my eye so I could see the sights better. Good thing dad was watching and supervising lest I become very short sighted!

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

I'm a farm boy from rural Arkansas where I grew up hunting and shooting.

My Dad was on a Rifle and Pistol team while he was in the Navy during the '50s and my stepdad was a FFL holder and had a FFL reloader's license.

When I was 12yo my two brothers and I was shooting tin cans with a .22 rifle and our Mom came outside a said she wanted to shoot too. We laughed because we had never seen our Mom shoot a gun except for a shotgun one time. So we loaded the gun, a Remington Nylon 66 and our Mom hit a can with every shot. We were shocked! She looked at us and said "I grew up on a farm. I know how to shoot. I grew up hunting with my Dad." and turned around and went back in the house.

Paul
    Hell...I didn't even know there was such a thing s an FFL in the 50's

Quote Originally Posted by JimTh View Post
    Hell...I didn't even know there was such a thing s an FFL in the 50's
    1938 was when they came in but nothing like what we have today.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Nice to see so many of you have fond memories of your parents and a lot of it had to do with the shooting sports, hunting etc.
    My parents did not have guns. For what ever reason the subject never did come up. They did allow me to have a Daisey BB gun at an early age,
    maybe around 10. I could shoot in in our back yard and never had the desire to see what it would do to a neighbors window. I liked my butt at normal temps.
    They also got me a bow. I wonder how many of you had a green fiberglass bow, 25 lb. pull. Pretty sure that was more dangerous then a BB gun.
    Owning a gun just never entered my mind. Maybe because I grew up in NY suburbia. Even after I got married and still lived in the area I had good reason to acquire a gun it again never entered my mind. I guess subtle brainwashing.
    When I moved to where I live now I heard you could buy a gun and wear it openly without a permit. Thinking "Wow how about that".
    Still no desire for a gun. I always thought that if I wanted or needed one I would just go out and buy one.
    Then William Jefferson Clinton...... what??? If I wanted a gun I would have to wait three days and one of the new most popular guns might be "blacklisted". That convinced me to go out and get what they didn't want me to have. Up to this point the most powerful thing I shot was a friend of my Father's .22 pellet gun when I was 10. So I went and purchased a Glock 17. Thank you Billary.
    I shot it for about a month then put it under my wife's dresser.
    Fast forward to the Presidential Primaries and it looked like B Hussein might just take it all. I reached under the dresser and pulled out the brown paper bag, blew the dust off and opened the Glock case. From then on I realized how important the Second Amendment is and how we were losing out Liberties! From then on it was buy what they want to take away. So I bought one of those scary black guns! Don't remember what I bought next but I remember going to buy a safe. They were actually hard to come by. I knew that the two main things you put in safes were guns and gold. Something was up for sure. One guy at a gun store told me to make sure I bought a big enough safe. I laughed to myself thinking even though the safe I have in mind is one of the smaller ones he has no idea how many guns it holds. How big a safe do you need and how many guns.
    Well if any of you come across a great sale on a very good large safe let me know!
    Now the criteria for what I buy isn't just what "they" want to take away. Much more goes into the decision now.
    I have to thank BH O'Bama for making me much more aware. NRA Life Member, GOA life member. and SRO. Nothing like the credentials that so many of the members have here but I thought you might get a kick of my metamorphosis. BTW is was never anti-gun. Just ignorant.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast