Advances in 9mm??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advances in 9mm??

1. Advances in 9mm??

Recently I've been reading that because of recent advancements in ammunition technology, the 9mm round has become much better and is comparable to .40 and .45. Did other rounds get completely neglected and not advance with the times? I'm not sure if these are just 9mm fanboys saying this or whether it's actually true. If it's as powerful as these other rounds, wouldn't it also increase recoil? I'm always interested in learning more about ammo and guns, so any insight would be appreciated.

Not necessarily. The ammunition has improved at transferring it's entire energy into the target (ie, body, due to expansion on impact) versus the old ball ammo that used to be carried in 9mm handguns. There's more than one way (adding a bigger charge behind the round) to improve the terminal ballistics of a bullet. The article to which you refer is comparing the 9mm and .40 S&W in regards to government and LE use. This opens an entire can of worms regarding why the FBI went to the .40 in the first place after the Miami shooting, trying to save face because they already passed on the .45ACP and other already available rounds, thus requiring a new round be created after blaming the lack of power of the 9mm for the killing of multiple FBI agents by one man who'd already suffered terminal gunshot wounds, transecting both of his lungs, and his aorta.

Leaving that be for now, the .40 round is only marginally heavier than the 9mm, and muzzle energy is marginally higher as well, but in regards to terminal ballistics, the differences are narly non-existent. Penetration and blossoming width both average and peak are nearly identical between two rounds of the same make in both calibers, such as HST or Speer Gold Dot.
    In part, this is because the 9mm can be offered in +P and +P+ whereas the .40 is an over-pressure round by default, which is why there's no regulated and set standard for +P .40 caliber ammo, and why if you do see +P .40 (ie, buffalo bore) it's just a marketing gimmick.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I find it hard to believe that all these advancements in bullet technology bypassed all the others and landed on the 9mm. Maybe it's just another scheme to get all the PD's to sell their .40's and buy back the high capacity mags.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    I find it hard to believe that all these advancements in bullet technology bypassed all the others and landed on the 9mm. Maybe it's just another scheme to get all the PD's to sell their .40's and buy back the high capacity mags.
    You think magazine capacity is a big factor to the PD's?
    Glock 17 (9mm) - 17 rd mag
    Glock 22 (.40) - 15 rd mag

*shrugs* I'm not sure 2 rounds makes a reason to get a new caliber firearm.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

6. Personally, I would prefer a good 9mm HP over a larger caliber round nosed FMJ. Due to physical problems, I carry a 9mm and feel confident it will do what I need done.

JHP over FMJ in most cases but FMJ is still needed in cases where you need to penetrate something hard. As for improvements in 9mm vs .40S&W, about the only thing that doesn't crossover is the increase in power. Bullet tech affects all sizes but the .40S&W round was already pushing the pressure limits when it came out. The rest of the sizes are playing catch up with the +P and +P+ ratings. Taking a 9mm to a +P+ power brings you inline with the .40S&W. With some of the same problems. And in many cases, more wear and tear than on the larger caliber guns.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

8. in this old guys opinion carry as much gun as you can handle [weight and recoil] . as far as 9mm being as good as 45cal WHICH LEAVES A BIGGER HOLE ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    The comparison was specific in regards to 9mm vs .40 S&W for law enforcement and government agencies. When you get the same terminal ballistics results from both guns, why not use the one with less recoil and more capacity per magazine? Also, 9mm parabellum is a globally standard round, while .40 isn't. If you haven't read the article, this is it:
    Why Many Agencies are Switching to the 9mm - USA Carry

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    JHP over FMJ in most cases but FMJ is still needed in cases where you need to penetrate something hard. As for improvements in 9mm vs .40S&W, about the only thing that doesn't crossover is the increase in power. Bullet tech affects all sizes but the .40S&W round was already pushing the pressure limits when it came out. The rest of the sizes are playing catch up with the +P and +P+ ratings. Taking a 9mm to a +P+ power brings you inline with the .40S&W. With some of the same problems. And in many cases, more wear and tear than on the larger caliber guns.
    If barrier penetration is my goal, I won't be using a handgun. I'll be using an SBR or Carbine with a breaching muzzle break and AP rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by barrygray0 View Post
    in this old guys opinion carry as much gun as you can handle [weight and recoil] . as far as 9mm being as good as 45cal WHICH LEAVES A BIGGER HOLE ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    If you refer to the article linked above, no mention was made of the .45ACP. This was really a 9 vs 40 thing for a specific purpose. That said, a .45 may expand slightly more than a .40 or 9mm, but it's also a much slower round, and that leads to the whole mass x velocity thing. Anyway, pretty much any handgun in the 9mm to .45ACP range is fairly similar in terminal ballistics, so carry whatever you're comfortable with.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    You think magazine capacity is a big factor to the PD's?
    Glock 17 (9mm) - 17 rd mag
    Glock 22 (.40) - 15 rd mag

*shrugs* I'm not sure 2 rounds makes a reason to get a new caliber firearm.
    I owned the Glock 22. I added a +2 floor plate and "voila!"...
    18 rounds initial expenditure!

I don't worry too much over two rounds or so... I just carry more mags!

Sent from behind enemy lines.

.40/9mm Try to buy either in our area.......19.95 price each on only TWO boxes in stock! Getting the price all the way up to .40.

Have a hard time spending that much on basically (only marginal) the same round.......Love my Glock 19 and 17 rds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast