Back yard range creation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Back yard range creation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ohio / Kent
    Posts
    145

    Back yard range creation

    Looking into creating a range in my back yard. Are tires a good material for stopping rounds?
    God, Family, Country and Self

  2.   
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Products.US View Post
    Looking into creating a range in my back yard. Are tires a good material for stopping rounds?
    I would love to do this but its not possible for me. Please keep in mind that doing this you are opening yourself up to all sorts of litigation unless you're sitting on hundreds of acres. I bring to your attention a recent local story..

    Temple gun range opens four months after trial - Times-Georgian: Local News

    The range in question can be seen in this overhead shot.

    The red lines are the 3 backdrops for targets, they are large dirt mounds.

    The blue line is the pistol/rifle firing area.

    The orange is for skeet.

    The home mentioned is in the red box and right next to the #99.

    So if you do this please be careful, even if you dont mistakenly shoot the neighbors, all they have to prove is a reasonable doubt.

  4. Not enough info. What types of firearms are you planning to stop? I started with a double row of truck tires filled with sand. About 2 years later bullets were plowing through and sand was spilling from numerous blowouts. Now I use a triple stack of RR ties at 100 yards and replace them as needed. In the corner of my backyard is a simple "deflection plate" target butt. I use it mostly for 22 but it will handle 357 mag in moderation. It's a 3/8" steel plate set at a 45* angle. Bullets are deflected into the dirt near the back of the plate. Simple, effective, easily moved, and relatively inexpensive. Currently there's a small stack of wood at both ends to catch splatters but that's not totally required. Lead and copper plated 22lr, 38Sp, 40 S&W, and 9mm bullets cause no problems.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rahlquist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Products.US View Post
    Looking into creating a range in my back yard. Are tires a good material for stopping rounds?
    I would love to do this but its not possible for me. Please keep in mind that doing this you are opening yourself up to all sorts of litigation unless you're sitting on hundreds of acres. I bring to your attention a recent local story..

    Temple gun range opens four months after trial - Times-Georgian: Local News

    The range in question can be seen in this overhead shot.

    The red lines are the 3 backdrops for targets, they are large dirt mounds.

    The blue line is the pistol/rifle firing area.

    The orange is for skeet.

    The home mentioned is in the red box and right next to the #99.

    So if you do this please be careful, even if you dont mistakenly shoot the neighbors, all they have to prove is a reasonable doubt.
    If I understood the OP correctly, I don't believe he has any intentions of opening up a commercial range. The rules for operating a commercial range are not nearly the same as just setting up a safe place to shoot in your back yard. My in-laws have 7 acres just outside city limits. We shoot handguns on the property all the time and have never had any problems.

  6. #5
    It was just a thought I was passing on. All it takes is one neighbor who dislikes either you or firearms to raise a stink that why my post stated to be careful.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ohio / Kent
    Posts
    145
    I should have given more information. I'm sitting on 6 acres of land and the nearest home is quite a distance away. Behind my property is an Army corps of engineers national forest. I was not The tires are earth movers tires in stack of 3.
    God, Family, Country and Self

  8. #7

    Back yard range creation

    Quote Originally Posted by rahlquist View Post
    It was just a thought I was passing on. All it takes is one neighbor who dislikes either you or firearms to raise a stink that why my post stated to be careful.
    This is true, but as long as you are following the laws those annoying neighbors don't have much recourse. Like you said, be careful and make sure you aren't endangering anybody else's life or property and there's not much they can do. I've read many stories of whiny neighbors calling the sheriffs over the shooting and the sheriff telling them to go pound sand. Unless they're breaking the law, there's nothing they can do.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe Area, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,487
    What does local codes say about used tires, excavating and discharge of fire arms. If it's not on the books I'd say go for it IF and only IF you're assured the round will be stopped on your property (at all times). As for the tires as a back drop, can't really answer that one I'm not a engineer. Can't ever remember an outdoor range I've been to that use anything other then earthen mounds.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Shooting Range Services|Shooting Range Services

    This is a company I looked into doing business with several years ago. They are very professional and were extremely helpful to me-

    Action Target *- The Global Leader in Shooting Range Development ? Equipment ? Services?


    -
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Crook County, Illinois
    Posts
    330
    I have a small shooting range on my property. I have 8 acres that was split off of a large farm years ago. It is only good for handguns right now, but allows me all the practice I want. I have no close neighbors and shoot down into a swale. My back stops are several large stumps. Next year I may expand it ,making it deeper and may need to look into some sort of larger backstop. I'll follow this thread and see what is recommended. The farmer next to me has a set of long distance targets set up. There is also a quarry about a 1/2mile away that sounds like a battle field at times. So the gun shots don't alarm anyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast