Notifying police of CCW during traffic stop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Notifying police of CCW during traffic stop

Notifying police of CCW during traffic stop

I know this is a random thought but having a law requiring you tell a police officer if you are carrying during a traffic stop could potentially put you in harm's way. I understand the odds of something like this are great but suppose you are pulled over by a police imposter? It happens. Revealing your "element of surprise" could be used against you. Thoughts?

You are already in trouble anytime you interact with a cop.
    A man must do what he has to do, ain't none of us getting out of this alive....I have it from a reliable source....
    There can be no love without pain; to show you the value of love......

Quote Originally Posted by MyFred View Post
    You are already in trouble anytime you interact with a cop.
    But in my scenario he wasn't a cop.

If you have any doubts the person pulling you over is not a real cop, proceed to the nearest police station and then pull over. If he's legitimate, he'll hopefully understand. If he's not, then he'll probably tuck tail and run off.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

It all depends on the state laws, if he's for real. If you have any doubt, follow wolf_fire's suggestion.
    TANSTAAFL

7. Record your encounters. + 1 on the above.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    I know this is a random thought but having a law requiring you tell a police officer if you are carrying during a traffic stop could potentially put you in harm's way. I understand the odds of something like this are great but suppose you are pulled over by a police imposter? It happens. Revealing your "element of surprise" could be used against you. Thoughts?
    It most definitely puts the carrier in harm's way, whether or not it was a real cop or a cop imposter, by bringing firearms into a situation that doesn't need to be. As to the element of surprise, it's all ready against you, it's called being behind the curve.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    I know this is a random thought but having a law requiring you tell a police officer if you are carrying during a traffic stop could potentially put you in harm's way. Thoughts?
    If someone could post a logical explanation how the current "must notify" laws do ANYTHING to make ANYONE safer in reality, I would love to see it. The current "must notify" laws only place law abiding citizens in danger in many ways, even if the officer is real, and accomplishes nothing else. There is only one situation where I could see that a notification law could make someone safer.... if they passed a law that said that once you voluntarily (not required, but volunteered) provided the officer with a carry permit and informed them of a gun that it would then prohibit the officer from drawing their own firearm in response, handling your gun, frisking you, or searching your vehicle unless they were going to place you under custodial arrest and transport you to a place of secured detention. Such a law, I feel, would make it safer for Joe Citizen, even in the police impersonator scenario because if the person at your window responded in a way in violation of that type of law, you would know something was wrong and be justified in getting the heck out of there. But we know the government has no interest in protecting Joe Citizen. The government is only interested in protecting the government.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

10. Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    I know this is a random thought but having a law requiring you tell a police officer if you are carrying during a traffic stop could
    I actually just got done taking the new conceal carry course in IL and my instructor, who is a IL policeman and shooting instructor, made very clear to us that in IL we are not required to offer up any info about our conceal carry. Now if they ask, then we must tell them we are carrying, where it is on our person, and show them our CC license. But we only have do to as much as they ask. If they don't ask we are not obligated to tell. The law gives them no right to take our weapon, though he advised to do so and sue later, only to ask those questions.
    It really surprises me that IL is like this. I figured we would get arrested, beaten, questioned, ordered to surrender our possessions and be forced to give a 30 min exhortation on the love we have for the Fuhrer of IL.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Edaw View Post
    I actually just got done taking the new conceal carry course in IL and my instructor, who is a IL policeman and shooting instructor, made very clear to us that in IL we are not required to offer up any info about our conceal carry. Now if they ask, then we must tell them we are carrying, where it is on our person, and show them our CC license. But we only have do to as much as they ask. If they don't ask we are not obligated to tell. The law gives them no right to take our weapon, though he advised to do so and sue later, only to ask those questions.
    It really surprises me that IL is like this. I figured we would get arrested, beaten, questioned, ordered to surrender our possessions and be forced to give a 30 min exhortation on the love we have for the Fuhrer of IL.
    Read the laws for yourself. I can tell you first hand that most cops don't know jack about gun laws. I had a campus police officer pull me for speeding the other day and I produced my CWP since I was carrying and he tried to tell me that if I parked in campus with a gun in the car then I could be arrested when state law clearly states otherwise. Best to verify yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast