You don't HAVE to shoot - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: You don't HAVE to shoot

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    It also helps if there is only one story......

    Now given, my point of view on this is probably a little different than most as I am an officer in a state correctional facility (max, med, and min security), and have a couple of years of LE experience from the street.

    (hoping that I don't sound too trigger happy or homicidal)

    Sounds like we've both had similar training. I was trained that the only time that I draw my firearm was when it needed to be discharged. Now if some guy swings on me, I take cover and draw my firearm and the guy surrenders in the process, then this is a very unique situation where I would have drawn my firearm and not discharged it.

    You're right about the "one story" situation. As I stated earlier, I would have probably handled the situation a little different.

    With that said, keep in mind that there are a lot of civilians who haven't had the kind of training that some of us have had. These folks should become very familiar with the laws of the various jurisdictions where they are planning on carrying their firearms. What's legal "back home" can land you in jail in a different city.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  2.   
  3. #12
    You make some very good points GLOCK FAN, you are allright.

    You really cannot go wrong with your advice on this matter.
    -Austin

  4. In one of Mass books he told of a man that drew his gun and the bad guys left. Only to call the police and tell them a man had a gun pointed at them.This brings up reporting the event. If you have to draw it may be good to report it.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    In one of Mass books he told of a man that drew his gun and the bad guys left. Only to call the police and tell them a man had a gun pointed at them.This brings up reporting the event. If you have to draw it may be good to report it.
    I agree. Also, those sickos most probably went to find some poor soul who wasn't armed and otherwise couldn't defend himself, so reporting creeps like theae to the police may prevent further crime.

    As for drawing down on someone, my weapon leaves its holster because I've made up my mind that my life is in immediate danger and the threat is real leaving me NO ALTERNATIVE but to fire to neutralize that threat. Drawing your weapon with the idea that just doing so will remove the threat may work in some situations, but I believe not firing while holding on to that hope can get you killed.

    A better solution, IMHO, would be to place your hand on your weapon, openly showing this to the threat. If he leaves, fine. But at this point, your mind should be in condition red and you should have already made up your mind to draw and shoot should the aggressor trip the "line in the sand" that you've mentally drawn, such as, "if he continues advancing, I will draw and shoot."
    Stay safe - DW
    NRA Endowment Member
    Retired Fed

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    60
    Massad Ayoob has had more training them all of us together. Not really but he knows how to handle a situation. If I had three guys approach me and all three were carrying potential weapons that were out of place for the situation my gun would not be at my side. It would be pointing at one of them.

    Odds are these guys have records and they were carrying weapons even though they might say they did not threaten you if they were still alive that is.

    Sorry, better safe then sorry.

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    That is where we differ.

    If I pull my weapon to defend my wife and I there will be shots fired. At that point diplomacy is dead and they are next.

    I am sure that I am going to take heat for that post, but that is my 2 cents worth.
    +1

    If I made the decision to draw, I have already made the decision to fire. All 3 would be dead.
    Springfield Loaded Custom Champion
    RIA 1911A1 Duo-Tone Tactical
    XD40 Sub-Compact
    Ruger 22/45
    Browning Baby 6.35mm
    Ruger K10/22
    Marlin 336w 30-30
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty & The Pursuit Of Those Against It

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by MP3Mogul View Post
    +1

    If I made the decision to draw, I have already made the decision to fire. All 3 would be dead.
    Not necessarily so for me. In deciding to draw you still must make a split-second decision on whether deadly force is warranted. You're saying that you can't possibly conceive of any scenario in which merely brandishing the weapon would stop the threat?

  9. #18
    Sometimes you don't even have to show your steel.

    Last time I had a run-in, a local idiot stood in front of me, telling me how he was gonna knock my head off. I had my hand on my pistol, in a pocket holster. I looked him in the eye and said, "Take your best shot." He looked at me, looked at where my hand was, and walked back to his car.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade797 View Post
    Sometimes you don't even have to show your steel.

    Last time I had a run-in, a local idiot stood in front of me, telling me how he was gonna knock my head off. I had my hand on my pistol, in a pocket holster. I looked him in the eye and said, "Take your best shot." He looked at me, looked at where my hand was, and walked back to his car.
    I rest my case. Not saying that I don't have the guts to shoot someone, but it is wise to to assess the situation to determine if deadly force is warranted. Most BGs, while stupid, aren't crazy. If they know someone has a gun (whether through it being brandished or someone putting their hand where their gun is) they won't mess with them because they don't want to get shot.
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 09-21-2008 at 06:37 PM.

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I rest my case. Not saying that I don't have the guts to shoot someone, but it is wise to to assess the situation to determine if deadly force is warranted. Most BGs, while stupid, aren't crazy. If they know someone has a gun (whether through it being brandished or someone putting their hand where their gun is) they won't mess with them because they don't want to get shot.

    To me this seems like proposing a quick-draw showdown.
    -Austin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast