You don't HAVE to shoot
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You don't HAVE to shoot

1. You don't HAVE to shoot

I read part of an article by Massad Ayoob where he stated that most situations involving firearms are resolved with never a shot being fired. Once, in Casa Grande, AZ, my wife and I went to the movies one night. As we were going to our car, three figures came out of the night (poor lighting) and requested money. One was carrying a golf club, I believe it was a driver, one had a bicycle chain, and the other had a broken or sawed off pool cue. I eased my compact .45 out and held it down alongside my leg. I knew they could see it from the change in their expressions. I calmly said, "We aren't going to hurt one another now, are we?" I quess it was the calm, calculated way I said it that convinced them to remember a previous appointment they just thought up. Seeing I was dedicated to protecting myself and my wife, they decided it wasnlt worth the risk.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

response

As you see every night on the Discovery Channel, the lion only goes after the wounded member of the herd. BG's are no different - it all comes down to posture and attitude. 90% of the time you won't have to shoot.
    NRA Certified Instructor, Vietnam Veteran
    XD 9 MM, XD 40, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 5.25 Custom Canyon Creek 9 mm, XDM 9MM, XDM 40 Canyon Creek XDM Limited, CZ 75B, Ruger MIII, Buckmark, Beretta Neos, CX4 Storm

You are right. Sometimes just the presence of the firearm can make the BG change his mind. Most criminals are cowards by nature. Just make sure that you are prepared to shoot if you have to just in case the next ones are not so easily persuaded. Anyway glad everything came out o.k.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    I read part of an article by Massad Ayoob where he stated that most situations involving firearms are resolved with never a shot being fired. Once, in Casa Grande, AZ, my wife and I went to the movies one night. As we were going to our car, three figures came out of the night (poor lighting) and requested money. One was carrying a golf club, I believe it was a driver, one had a bicycle chain, and the other had a broken or sawed off pool cue. I eased my compact .45 out and held it down alongside my leg. I knew they could see it from the change in their expressions. I calmly said, "We aren't going to hurt one another now, are we?" I quess it was the calm, calculated way I said it that convinced them to remember a previous appointment they just thought up. Seeing I was dedicated to protecting myself and my wife, they decided it wasnlt worth the risk.
    Glad the situation ended without shots being fired. Hope you made a call to 911 to cover your "6". We don't want the three of them making the first call and giving LE a different story.

Great job. Glad to see that armed citizens are able to protect themselves.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Most common street thugs are cowards by nature, which is why they're too pathetic to get a job and instead prey on people who actually try to do something in life.

Quote Originally Posted by speak2u View Post
    As you see every night on the Discovery Channel, the lion only goes after the wounded member of the herd. BG's are no different - it all comes down to posture and attitude. 90% of the time you won't have to shoot.
    That's what the Bradys don't seem to understand. Their statistics on defensive firearm uses only include those in which the bad guy is killed, which is usually fewer than 300 per year. They apparently don't understand that law abiding citizens use them first for the deterrent effect, and secondly, for shooting.

which is why carrying concealed can be a really good thing.. if a bad guy knows that some one is armed.. they will move to some one else who they know is not. keep them guessing. glad it turned out the way it did.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

That is where we differ.

If I pull my weapon to defend my wife and I there will be shots fired. At that point diplomacy is dead and they are next.

I am sure that I am going to take heat for that post, but that is my 2 cents worth.
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    That is where we differ.

If I pull my weapon to defend my wife and I there will be shots fired. At that point diplomacy is dead and they are next.

I am sure that I am going to take heat for that post, but that is my 2 cents worth.

From what I've read, it looks like the situation was a few seconds away from "shots fired". I'm glad that the OP didn't have to fire any shots. I wasn't there , but had I been I'm sure I would have handled things a little differently.

I do STRONGLY recommend that anytime you draw your firearm in self-defense, that YOU are the first one to call 911 and let the police know. This way when 3 thugs end up at the local PD saying that "a many pulled a gun on us in a parking lot" the police would have already heard your side of the story.

If I this were to have happened here in PRHI and I was on my own property with my firearms, the thugs could claim that I "brandished" a firearm. The law states that I can use my firearm to STOP an attack, not PREVENT one.

Remember IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), don't play one on television. This isn't "legal advice". Consult a competent attorney for any "legal advice".

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

It also helps if there is only one story......

Now given, my point of view on this is probably a little different than most as I am an officer in a state correctional facility (max, med, and min security), and have a couple of years of LE experience from the street.

(hoping that I don't sound too trigger happy or homicidal)
    -Austin

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast