Pistol Grip 12 ga Shotgun - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Grip 12 ga Shotgun

I would suggest the ATI collapsible stock, Ive had mine on there almost a year, no issues with it, easy to instal, many other accessories you can add to it, and works great. Reduces the recoil on the shoulder. Pistol Grip 12 ga Shotgun-mail.google.com.jpg
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Consider a 20 gu. Much easier to handle and still plenty lethal. Another advantage is you have less worry about over penetration.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    Consider a 20 gu. Much easier to handle and still plenty lethal. Another advantage is you have less worry about over penetration.
    I am a 36year veteran of law enforcement service and have served as a le firearms instructor for almost 25 years. I have also taught civilian home defense since 1979. If you want a home defense shotgun, you cannot go wrong with a pistol grip, fixed stock 20 ga pump shotgun. It has less recoil than the 12 ga., but more than sufficient power to stop a determined attacker. The pistol grip fixed stock is far superior over the pistol-grip-only stock... If I lived in an apartment with neighbors on either side, I would stoke it with #6 birdshot. If not, I would use buckshot. If I lived in the country away from other houses, I might be tempted to use rifled slugs. And, if I had a choice, I would choose ghost ring sights, although a bead sight would be adequate....

5. Thanks for all the responses
    The reason I ask about the shotgun is , I am a retired NYPD Sergeant who has seen several shooting. The thing that always concerned me about handguns is how perps aren't stopped right away. For home protection I wanted something with more punch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As with any firearm, it takes practice. I have one of those Mossberg 500 pistol grip 18 1/2 inch barrel 12 gauge and I like it. Sort and maneuverable in confined space. Yes, it takes practice to get used to it and firing from the hip, but it can be done. One warning, do not fire 3" magnums with it. Your wrist will not like that.

Quote Originally Posted by joenap101 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses
    The reason I ask about the shotgun is , I am a retired NYPD Sergeant who has seen several shooting. The thing that always concerned me about handguns is how perps aren't stopped right away. For home protection I wanted something with more punch
    your experiences are what a good many of the mall ninjas don't get, a shot from a handgun regardless of caliber is not going to hit the bad guy's stop button every time. in fact it is more than likely that if you do manage to hit an adversary with your shot that he will either be foolish enough to keep coming at you or wise enough to make a speedy retreat.
    fwiw: my anecdotal story is of a friend who was also NYPD who back in the day put 6 .38's into a BG who despite being hit with 6 rounds still kept on coming at him.
    the moral to the story is that the real world isn't the movies and there is rarely a one shot stop, be prepared to keep firing until the threat is neutralized

8. I was at a homicide scene where a man was shot 13 times (as per medical examiner) . Shots include back, chest, stomach and testicles. He still walked 100 yards until he fell. The shells found were .380.

9. I agree with Mitche. Although you can never go wrong if you can rent a shotgun at a range and test your options out that way. Hope that helps.

Blog Entries

No Magic

Quote Originally Posted by joenap101 View Post
    I was at a homicide scene where a man was shot 13 times (as per medical examiner) . Shots include back, chest, stomach and testicles. He still walked 100 yards until he fell. The shells found were .380.

There is also a case of a man shot 5 times in the chest and torso with 12 ga. rifled slugs who walked to and got into the ambulance without assistance.... A .380 through the heart, spine or brain is preferable to a .308 through the hand... Of course, a .308 ear-to-ear through the brain is pretty definitive...
    Last edited by Pitt County Pride; 11-22-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Mistakes

I have a pistol grip shotgun. It does have a bit more muzzle flip than a traditional stock, but I found that it was easier to carry hunting and much quicker to get the bead on the target. I don't see how muzzle flip would affect negatively because a slug (for my purpose) from a 12 ga will put down my target.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast