Behind every great gun is a great Trigger - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Behind every great gun is a great Trigger

I want to be like the NYC Police Officers who are mandated a 12 lb trigger on their firearms. I wish to be as inaccurate as them. I also wish that if I inadvertently hit innocent civilians because of this enormous trigger pull that I am forced to use, that I will not be disciplined in any way shape or form.

In other words, YES, a great trigger does make for a great gun.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I agree that the LC9 trigger is horrible. Even though the Galloway kit significantly improves it IMO, it is still not pleasant. However, if you want to feel an even worse trigger try firing the Walther PK380. If my girlfriend weren't so attached to it, I would have sold it the day I first fired it. With the exception of the trigger, I think the LC9 is a great little gun.
    I have an LC9 and although the trigger pull is loooong, I am getting better the more I practice with it; it is a good little gun though. But with that said, just yesterday I purchased a S&W M&P 40 Shield and the trigger seems it's going to be a delight! I have yet to shoot it but with the 1 dry fire I did.....I am looking forward to hitting the range with it!

Why don't gun makers make a rule amongst themselves that all handguns will have 8lb DA trigger pulls and 3.5 SA trigger pulls?
    Just think how much standardizing these trigger pulls would help shooters.

Many of the guns listed here I have never had the opportunity to fire.
    I wonder if there is one gun found for rent at most ranges that we could use as a bench mark?
    I Love my SR1911 trigger. If any one of these guns has a trigger that good it will seriously be on my gun Bucket List.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Unlike some of you, I prefer a 4.5# trigger on a carry weapon. Fine motor skills aren't present when the target shoots back. Accidental discharges into innocent bystanders is a problem. A clean breaking 4.5# pull is very controllable. I carry my 1911s for SD not gamesmanship. That changes the parameters considerably.
    In order to receive forgiveness, we must first forgive.

Murphy's Law is still in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    I have an LC9 and although the trigger pull is loooong, I am getting better the more I practice with it; it is a good little gun though. But with that said, just yesterday I purchased a S&W M&P 40 Shield and the trigger seems it's going to be a delight! I have yet to shoot it but with the 1 dry fire I did.....I am looking forward to hitting the range with it!
    The problems with the LC9 trigger are multiple, including the long pull, not breaking till you're at the frame (aaaaall the way back) the trigger creep/take up, the pull weight, etc. If the trigger broke at about 65% pull, with a weight of around 6-8lbs, and without any creep, it'd be a fine little gun.. oh, and without the mag disconnect, too.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Why don't gun makers make a rule amongst themselves that all handguns will have 8lb DA trigger pulls and 3.5 SA trigger pulls?
    Just think how much standardizing these trigger pulls would help shooters.
    Because different people would disagree as to what the standard trigger pull should be. If there were one perfect gun, or one perfect trigger, everyone would own it. Just with all product, competition benefits the consumers. We have many manufacturers with all types of firearms, with a wide variety of price points, with a wide variety of options, and yes, with a variety of trigger pulls. This benefits the consumer in that we can choose to base our decision on a myriad of criteria. We aren't forced into a "one-size fits all" design, you know, like Obamacare.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

But if trigger pull was standardized people could always get trigger kits to change them. Seriously, how many people "LIKE" a 12lb trigger pull?
    And I doubt if anyone wants less than a 3.5 trigger pull. Making all handguns 8lb DA pull and 3.5 SA pull would be much more popular. Then
    the gunmakers could offer trigger fixes if you want to change them. Think about it, how many of you would make an 8lb trigger heavier?
    Also how many would feel bad with a 3.5lb pull or maybe a 4lb pull?

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    But if trigger pull was standardized people could always get trigger kits to change them. Seriously, how many people "LIKE" a 12lb trigger pull?
    And I doubt if anyone wants less than a 3.5 trigger pull. Making all handguns 8lb DA pull and 3.5 SA pull would be much more popular. Then
    the gunmakers could offer trigger fixes if you want to change them. Think about it, how many of you would make an 8lb trigger heavier?
    Also how many would feel bad with a 3.5lb pull or maybe a 4lb pull?
    So your solution is that most people would then have to go out and get a trigger job after they spent some serious coin on a new firearm. Currently, there are many firearms in many different trigger pulls. Competition in the market place breeds choices. This is what we have now.

I have never been in favor of having third parties mandating how a company builds its product. If the company is good, they will listen to their customers, not some silly standardized mandate.

I'm for competition and choice in the market place. Don't make me have to get a trigger replaced when I buy a new firearm. All that will do is make me keep a box of triggers I don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12