Army giving up stopping power for 'green' bullets? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Army giving up stopping power for 'green' bullets?

Off-subject reference: Air Marshalls, IIRC, once used Glaser Safety Slugs, but it was not because of worries about crashing the plane. Pistol rounds, even that penetrate, won't do that. They currently use a normal HP--I want to say Gold Dot, but I may be wrong on that.

On-subject--I'll wait and see. The idea that they won't be "substantially more deadly", whatever that means (How can you kill somebody deader than dead?) doesn't mean that they won't be just as lethal as the round they're replacing. Until we ditch the Geneva Convention protocols (Have we even signed the thing yet? Last I remember, we had not.) and go with HPs all around, I'm not holding my breath on enhanced lethality. Problem I have with the new rounds is they're more expensive.

And is it really going to matter if we're the only ones on a battlefield using unleaded ammunition?

Sorry...I occasionally expect the government to make some sense. I'll have to sign up for another round of therapy. I'll be better soon.
    www.inshadowinlight.com
    I don't care as much about making you more "tactical" as I do about making you better able to be the one still standing after the fight is over.

3. god i hope O-BOMB-A doesn't read this ! ! ! ! ! what about using PAPER BULLETS cheaper environmental friendly and it easy to make any color ! ! ! !
    WELL WHAT DO YOU THINK ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

One thing I believe everyone here is forgeting or missing, is the fact the our gooberment (EPA), just recently shut down the last remaining lead smelter in the United States. We have plenty of lead ore, but no more processing! That means that at some point in the future, the US will run out of lead. Lead will only be available from…

…wait for it…

FOREIGN COUNTRIES! Most notably, CHINA!

We will NEED to have a cheap alternative for lead, for the manufacture lead-acid batteries, wheel weights, BB's, and yes, bullets. My guess is that they know they'll never get our guns, so make ammunition impossible for the masses to buy or make.

Quote Originally Posted by UATKP View Post
    DHS is the whitehouse dumbass's private army. He doesn't want the real army as powerful as his own. His own army will not turn on him. The real army might. He is a fool that is no fool. Think about it.
    Yeah, it is something to think about, interesting point.

Army giving up stopping power for 'green' bullets?

I'm not sure what this article is referring too. All the bullets I've seen since being in looked like regular bullets to me. The 5.56 green tips have a steel core penetrator and if you cut them open, they actually have very little lead in them. Maybe that's what this is referring too? In the same way steel shot is more environmentally friendly than lead shot?

I'm all for being environmentally responsible and sustainable when possible but a war zone doesn't exactly qualify. Give our guys every advantage possible. However, just from personal experience, I doubt the validity of this article.

7. Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Amen View Post
    the US will run out of EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING will only be available from…

…wait for it…

The US Government is regulating the US economy out of business across the board. I give this country maybe 50 years before the Federal government collapses the same way the USSR did.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Navy, I give it 3 years at the most... :(
    Stop, Drop, and Roll won't work in Hell.
    The truth about the former Republic of the United States of America:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Ioz...ayer_embedded#

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The US Government is regulating the US economy out of business across the board. I give this country maybe 50 years before the Federal government collapses the same way the USSR did.
    The optimism is high in this one... Meh, maybe you're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Gotta love that name... "Department of Homeland Security" It has such a familiar and comforting ring to it. You know, in Fascist sort of way.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Amen View Post
    One thing I believe everyone here is forgeting or missing, is the fact the our gooberment (EPA), just recently shut down the last remaining lead smelter in the United States. We have plenty of lead ore, but no more processing! That means that at some point in the future, the US will run out of lead. Lead will only be available from…

…wait for it…

We will NEED to have a cheap alternative for lead, for the manufacture lead-acid batteries, wheel weights, BB's, and yes, bullets. My guess is that they know they'll never get our guns, so make ammunition impossible for the masses to buy or make.

you may want to get to re-reading about that plant. it's a primary smelter where no ammo comes from. ammo lead is recycled material. that process isnt done at primary facilities. the same company running Doe Run also runs a secondary smelter that IS staying up along w/ all the others. keeping this BS tinfoil hat mess up is going to push another ammo price run up!

not to mention that the EPA was dealing w/ this plant all the way back in 2003 about upgrading and they chose not to in order to save money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast