First time flying with gun -- am I doing it wrong? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First time flying with gun -- am I doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by agman View Post
    Elenor,

but OUTSIDE of your hard sided locked gun case. Southwest tapes it to the top of your case, United just sets it in your suitcase,
    you experience does not match mine. I never traveled with a gun on southwest or united but I have many times on american and once on delta and every time the airline personnel asked to see the unloaded weapon and had me place the card INSIDE the locked box containing the weapon.
    YMMV

3. Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you experience does not match mine. I never traveled with a gun on southwest or united but I have many times on american and once on delta and every time the airline personnel asked to see the unloaded weapon and had me place the card INSIDE the locked box containing the weapon.
    YMMV
    The problem with the declaration tag being inside the locked gun case is that if TSA wants to verify that it is a true and signed declaration tag they have to call you to open your locked pistol case. If it is outside the locked pistol case, inside the luggage they can inspect it without your presence. My luggage had the TSA notification of inspection in it when I arrived at my destination.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The problem with the declaration tag being inside the locked gun case is that if TSA wants to verify that it is a true and signed declaration tag they have to call you to open your locked pistol case. If it is outside the locked pistol case, inside the luggage they can inspect it without your presence. My luggage had the TSA notification of inspection in it when I arrived at my destination.
    like I said I've always been told to place the tag inside with the gun and I have never had to be called for any sort of extra inspection

5. Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    like I said I've always been told to place the tag inside with the gun and I have never had to be called for any sort of extra inspection
    What airline? I would like to contact them and find out their official policy. The way a TSA supervisor told it to me is, that it has to be on the outside of the gun case, so they can see it was declared. Otherwise, an XRay machine can't read paper (at least that is what he said). Makes sense to me. Outside of the gun case, inside the suitcase. I could see that being different with long guns, or a bigger case. I always travel with my handguns in a locked case inside of my suitcase.

FWIW

Peace

What airline? I would like to contact them and find out their official policy. The way a TSA supervisor told it to me is, that it has to be on the outside of the gun case, so they can see it was declared. Otherwise, an XRay machine can't read paper (at least that is what he said). Makes sense to me. Outside of the gun case, inside the suitcase. I could see that being different with long guns, or a bigger case. I always travel with my handguns in a locked case inside of my suitcase.

FWIW

Peace
    Two years ago Alaska and delta both had me put the tag inside the gun case. Starting about 9 months ago, they had me tape it to the outside of my gun case.

Unless elenor is going to pay for another gun case, her situation doesn't involve an internal gun case, but just a hard sided suitcase (basically a large gun case).

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

According to Kathy Jackson (Cornered Cat), if the airline wants you to put the tag inside the gun case, you can ask for a second one to place on top, just in case TSA wants to inspect it.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

What airline? I would like to contact them and find out their official policy.

Peace
    like I said in my post, both american and delta. I flew southwest once with the weapon but I don't recall what they did

Thanks agman!
    Elenor,
    I fly quite often with my firearm. I glanced through some of this thread, and saw you were getting some pretty interesting advice.
    Keep it simple. Put a good heavy duty padlock on your hard case, inside your regular suitcase. ... The declaration form MUST go INSIDE your suitcase, but OUTSIDE of your hard sided locked gun case.
    Yeah, but see? THAT is what I'm trying to find a way to avoid. I want to have the non-TSA lock on the outside of the actual suitcase (hard-sided, of course). Except... then it means the airline declaration has to go out on the outside of the actual suitcase, which is a flag for (whole bag) theft... but ... I was hoping for a way to keep the whole doggoned thing secure! I'll be carrying nearly $2k worth of 'gear' in that suitcase -- the gauges and devices my company makes; it's partly/mostly a sales trip to my biggest distributor.

I think I may have to go back to my first plan, which was to ship the gear down there by UPS... (Which I planned to do on my way home.. The sales call is followed by a drive down the Keys Hwy (in a rented convertible!!) and a couple days in a B&B in Key West... )

I added a nice bicycle lock through the handle of my case, then wrapped it around the inside "frame" of my suitcase. That effectively prevents any smash and grabs.
    I got my GunVault yesterday (thanks for the advice, folks!) -- and it came in a plastic clam-shell taped (badly) and, while the vault itself worked, the side 'rail' (that I suppose is supposed to prevent a screwdriver from getting inside?) was rusted AND not welded to the vault body! (!!!) Ordered it from Amazon -- so it went right straight back, and they're sending another...

I would also put a label on the outside of your gun case (not your suit case) with your phone number, and a statement asking them to call you if they have any issues.
    When I was flying out of Phoenix one time, they had my bag for 1.5 hours, before they called me to say they wanted to see inside my case. I had to deboard, and miss my flight, so they could look inside (but that is another story). They claimed that it took them that long to find my number...hogwash.
    Several folks have offered (and I will take!) advice to ask them, when the TSA are 'clearing' the gun, to also do their '"security" (we need a emoticon for disgusted!) search of the bag.

I don't even lock my suitcase. It looks just like everybody else's bag, and criminals know you usually lock what you don't want them to take. I also double check to make sure my gun case is still in my suit case when I take it off the carousal. That way you catch any problems before you leave.
    EEK! I usually lock (yes, TSA-enabled crap locks) AND those notebook-rings that are so hard to open (on every suitcase compartment!). Oddly, I don't think I've ever had them cut... but I fly only 1-2 times a year... I HATE HATE HATE the thought of people going through my stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Elenor View Post
    Thanks agman!
    Yeah, but see? THAT is what I'm trying to find a way to avoid. I want to have the non-TSA lock on the outside of the actual suitcase (hard-sided, of course).
    that will not be acceptable you need to visit the TSA site, read the rules and regs and then follow the rules and regs

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    that will not be acceptable you need to visit the TSA site, read the rules and regs and then follow the rules and regs
    Where in the tsa website does it say that is unacceptable?

What does someone do if they are traveling with rifles, and have a non tsa lock on their hard sided rifle case?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast