First time flying with gun -- am I doing it wrong? - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: First time flying with gun -- am I doing it wrong?

life is tough it's even tougher when you are stupid

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    What you do in some other state has zero relevance to this discussion of what the laws are in FLA.

the 2 of you just don't get it, the baggage area is in the building that houses the terminal. the law in FLA says no guns inside any part of a terminal building. you are free to come here to FLA and go to a baggage area of any airport here and then discreetly make the security people aware that you are carrying a firearm. let me know how it works out.
    Thankfully Navy knows how to show the proper description of the airport. I still do not see anywhere in the law say building.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

None of what I do is unconsicously done

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy
    next time it would be wiser to wait until you exit the actual structure to arm up.
    Yeah, considered that. However, in general (or such is my impression) rental car lots tend to be in ... less-than-lovely ... areas (never been to one in FLL). Leaving the airport with the gun still secured and unreachable would entail a bus ride ... somewhere ... into a relatively (or more likely: mostly) unsecured lot, entering an office area where my situation (older, well-dressed white woman with two rolling carry-ons and a large-ish shoulder bag -- i.e., burdened and without a free hand!) would be easily observable, followed by that woman heading out across a pretty empty lot filled with unlocked cars full of keys ... followed by having to secure all that luggage in a rental car, followed by having to drive away (still, in that completely unknown and less-than-lovely area) and finding a SAFE place to park in which to un-secure the luggage, remove the gun and rounds, load same, re-secure everything -- ALL while not knowing anything about my surroundings?!?!

The ladies in the airport it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Navy-guy
    Anybody still want to argue what the terminal is and is not?
    Uh folks? Can I just point out it does not matter what any state defines as sterile or terminal or anything else in this area of concern? If the police state wants to screw with you -- they will. If they want to 'get' you; they can. We have NO defense against them! Right? ("The courts" -- after huge cost, time, discomfort, and perhaps injury or death -- are NOT a defense against the police state... We're back to "clean-up.")

IF any airport in the U.S. has installed cameras in the ladies (and I expect that's coming ), then what I did would result -- no matter the state, no matter whether or not the legislature of that state has worded or defined anything -- I WOULD be in serious trouble.

I am pointing out that FOR ME (and I am not recommending this to others) -- my least-worst choice was to do as I did; legal or not! I do not EVER make careless or unconsidered choices about a firearm. Re-arming myself in the ladies was my least-bad choice -- not one I'd choose freely, not one I'd recommend to others -- it was a gamble with odds I was willing to take, as against the gamble of a unknown area in a possibly bad state and wandering around unarmed.

And the whole point of concealed carry? Is that I am not supposed to be recognizable as armed, right? Reloading in the ladies and going 'back' to being that older white woman with too-much luggage who might seem a target merely puts me back in my normal state (of appearance, not state like geography ). I choose that 'state' with awareness of the possibility of metal detectors, and illegal existence in a controlled zone. The one I can't out-fox, the other I can choose (ever so carefully) to [strikeout]ignore[/strikeout] violate.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Elenor View Post
    Uh folks? Can I just point out it does not matter what any state defines as sterile or terminal or anything else in this area of concern?
    People need to know what the facts and laws are so that they can make an informed decision to violate the law, rather than violate it through ignorance and end up in handcuffs which was not their intent.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy-boss
    so that they can make an informed decision to violate the law,
    Ah, very good point, thank you.

Im learning all kinds of new things here. I never imagined that owning a firearm would cause so much todo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using USA Carry mobile app

9. Quote Originally Posted by ronray267 View Post
    Im learning all kinds of new things here. I never imagined that owning a firearm would cause so much todo.
    It doesn't need to. Some gun owners make a lot more out of owning/transporting/carrying a firearm than is necessary, IMHO. On another forum I posted, "I guess I am just a rebel. I have no issues with openly carrying my PT-145 loaded with handloads and having a beer with dinner at Applebees with no self defense legal insurance - and if a cop should stop me for a burned out brake light on the way home, I have no problems keeping my mouth shut about my CPL and firearm." In normal life, my gun goes on my belt like my cell phone goes in my pocket and I go about my daily business. When flying with it, the unloaded gun goes in a locked pistol case with a box of ammo in the corner, I sign the tag at the baggage counter, about 10 minutes for TSA to scan my luggage and off I go....
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

FYI - Denver International Airport will allow a person who is legally authorized to CC to carry in the main terminal, but not in any sterile secure area. Carry on.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678