Hospital Carry
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Hospital Carry

  1. Hospital Carry

    I have not been on the forum for a few days. as my Mom had surgery this week.

    I had to drive down to South Florida to visit. When I went with her on Wed. morning for pre-op I noticed the very clear signs on the hospital doors stating "No Firearms"

    As a proponent of concealed is concealed I proceeded in with her and had no problems. However, I decided to do some further research and came to find out that the hospitals use another Florida statute regarding mental health facilities to impose this ban. They state that since a portion of their every day business is mental health patients, that this statute applies to them.

    They are not listed as a restricted facility according to Florida 790, which governs CWL's, however there have been no test cases that received an appellate decision. The only case I know of is someone who was arrested in a hospital and the lawyer argued that according to Florida 394 his client was authorized by law as a result of his legally issued CWL. The State Attorney agreed and decided not to prosecute.

    394.458 Introduction or removal of certain articles unlawful; penalty.--

    (1)(a) Except as authorized by law or as specifically authorized by the person in charge of each hospital providing mental health services under this part, it is unlawful to introduce into or upon the grounds of such hospital, or to take or attempt to take or send therefrom, any of the following articles, which are hereby declared to be contraband for the purposes of this section:

    1. Any intoxicating beverage or beverage which causes or may cause an intoxicating effect;

    2. Any controlled substance as defined in chapter 893; or

    3. Any firearms or deadly weapon.

    Rather than cause trouble at the hospital and possibly be barred from seeing my Mom, I chose to disarm for the two days I was visiting her, but I was not happy about it.

    I wonder what others think and if you have any of your own experiences in this area?
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Inland Empire
    Posts
    394

    Exclamation Weapons in Hospitals food 4 thought.

    In general Palmach hospitals are no-carry zones from my experiences in or serving many all over various states. LEO's with pistols, Mace, tasers, etc., are a given, so is their hospital security, but few hospitals will notice or even bother about a weapon TOTALLY concealed from any sight, unless you pass thru a metal detector 'beep' GOTCHA!The problem is not getting a weapon into a hospital, it starts when U fear enough for your life, or the lives of others, that U pull, point and shoot a very dangerous person say charging at you with a scalpel in their hand. So you do drop the BG/patient. I would expect that you will still be charged for bringing a weapon into a medical treatment facility even if it helped stop a carnage. If it's a federal-run hospital you just lost out big time. You posted a good question I ask myself with every trip I make to the V.A., and I defer to going inside clean. In 20 years of being a medic I prolly spent 7 of them in fixed hospitals all E.R.'s so I don't have much ward/out-patient clinic experience, BUT I do have a lot of stories to tell about patients and visitors who brought weapons into them, none of them ended happily.
    Do as you see fit but if you need to use that weapon, oh well I hope it turns out better than jail 4 you, even if your actions saved others lives.
    Please post again without self-incriminating yourself about this subject if you feel like it, your answers will be read by our patrons & may answer their CCW/hospital concerns. One area of any hospital I know is no weapons period is their E.R.'s because they DO treat psychologically distressed patients daily and that alone makes for a gun-free, weapons free environment, health & safety laws per the state is the only way to dig deeper into the subject or a call to the hospital admin office in advance to check on their rules could cost save you a lot of grief.
    Thanks for posting.

    Canis-Lupus
    Last edited by Canis-Lupus; 09-26-2008 at 10:49 PM.

  4. #3
    Do not know about other states but in Texas the answer is kind of yes and no. Here it is one of the places that are off limits to CHL holders however the hospital has to post the "official state mandated " sign at all exits. Just putting up a sign they says no guns allowed does not cut it. I have seen hospitals that have the proper sign but I know of one that I have been in a number of times that has signs that simply say no weapons allowed in hospital. So when I have to go in there I have my hand gun on me but out of site and out of mind so to speak.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    This is an excellent reason for me to encourage my friends and family to stay healthy so none of us have to be anywhere near a hospital any more than necessary.


    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  6. #5
    In Utah, hospitals are not included in the prohibited areas for carry. We do have a chain of hospitals including our children's hospital that has notices on the doors that "you are entering a place of healing, no weapons allowed" or something to that effect. I have carried into these hospitals and even spent the night with my daughter once as the signs do not make it the law here. If someone found out I had my firearm with me, they could ask me to leave, but it would almost certainly have to be a pull, point, shoot situation for anyone to even know I was armed. Concealed is concealed.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Do not know about other states but in Texas the answer is kind of yes and no. Here it is one of the places that are off limits to CHL holders however the hospital has to post the "official state mandated " sign at all exits. Just putting up a sign they says no guns allowed does not cut it. I have seen hospitals that have the proper sign but I know of one that I have been in a number of times that has signs that simply say no weapons allowed in hospital. So when I have to go in there I have my hand gun on me but out of site and out of mind so to speak.
    Are you referring to the 30.06 sign, which says:



    "PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

    "CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.06 DEL CÔDIGO PENAL (TRASPASAR PORTANDO ARMAS DE FUEGO) PERSONAS CON LICENCIA BAJO DEL SUB-CAPITULO H, CAPITULO 411, CODIGO DE GOBIERNO (LEY DE PORTAR ARMAS), NO DEBEN ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD PORTANDO UN ARMA DE FUEGO."


    Here in Indiana, no such prohibition exists under the law, and here in Northwest Indiana, hospital security is unarmed. The entrances are posted, but I ignore them.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    The problem is not getting a weapon into a hospital, it starts when U fear enough for your life, or the lives of others, that U pull, point and shoot a very dangerous person say charging at you with a scalpel in their hand. So you do drop the BG/patient. I would expect that you will still be charged for bringing a weapon into a medical treatment facility even if it helped stop a carnage. If it's a federal-run hospital you just lost out big time.
    It's very unfortunate that saving the entire ER ward from a mass shooting could quite possibly result in oneself ending up in jail. One day, someone carrying in a GFZ is going to end a high-profile VTech or Columbine incident, and people will see just how stupid the whole thing is.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    220
    Canis Lupus...kudos for the excellent advice! It is very well thought out and explained.
    MOLON LABE

  10. #9
    The hospitals I've been to in Memphis have varying rules. The hospital where my doctor practices has HUGE signs out in the parking lot "PURSUANT TO TN CODE........", so I don't carry in there. I just love answering questions to nurses and the doctor as to why I have an empty holster.

    However, another hospital just has the Gunbuster sign. I ignore it.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Are you referring to the 30.06 sign, which says:



    "PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

    "CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.06 DEL CÔDIGO PENAL (TRASPASAR PORTANDO ARMAS DE FUEGO) PERSONAS CON LICENCIA BAJO DEL SUB-CAPITULO H, CAPITULO 411, CODIGO DE GOBIERNO (LEY DE PORTAR ARMAS), NO DEBEN ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD PORTANDO UN ARMA DE FUEGO."


    Here in Indiana, no such prohibition exists under the law, and here in Northwest Indiana, hospital security is unarmed. The entrances are posted, but I ignore them.
    Exactly. It has to be that sign both in English and Spanish, the proscribed size.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast