Maximum Caliber in an indoor range
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum Caliber in an indoor range

Maximum Caliber in an indoor range

Hey guys,

I am going to be going to a indoor range Monday night. My gun is a .45 acp. Is this alright for an indoor range? Only curious.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Call ahead my friend, I would think that since the .45 is one of the most popular caliber weapons sold/owned because it stops BG's with minimal discharges, it may be fine, but no fancy armor-piecing rounds that exceeds the stopping barrier absorption rating they have in-place behind the shooting lanes. "Shoots through entire city blocks" mini-SABOT rounds prolly not a good call!

Canis-Lupus

Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    Call ahead my friend, I would think that since the .45 is one of the most popular caliber weapons sold/owned because it stops BG's with minimal discharges, it may be fine, but no fancy armor-piecing rounds that exceeds the stopping barrier absorption rating they have in-place behind the shooting lanes. "Shoots through entire city blocks" mini-SABOT rounds prolly not a good call!

Canis-Lupus
    Definitely call ahead. Some ranges want lead-only projectiles, others want only jacketed ammo, some will allow heavy duty loads and others won't, and one range I belong to only allows .22lr in the indoor range. Pretty much anything goes as far as outdoor range ammo.

I agree.. Call ahead. In general if they do not allow .45 I am not sure I would even want to shoot there. My indoor range will not allow anything hotter then a .223 on the indoor range.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will defiantly be calling Monday morning to find out. I have target ammo for it now. .45acp 230 grain bullets now. I am hoping that it will be fine. I will let you guys know!
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Wear plugs and ear phones

Twenty five odd years ago I was shooting in an indoor range when a fellow a few lanes down shot a .50 caliber pistol or some such thing. Even with ear plugs and ear muffs I thought someone had shot off a cannon. May I suggest that you don't shoot anything that large? My ears are still ringing.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Twenty five odd years ago I was shooting in an indoor range when a fellow a few lanes down shot a .50 caliber pistol or some such thing. Even with ear plugs and ear muffs I thought someone had shot off a cannon. May I suggest that you don't shoot anything that large? My ears are still ringing.
    that reminds me when I first shot my new .50 desert eagle at an indoor range. after the first shot everyone in their put down their guns and came over to see what the heck I was shooting. some even paid me for ammo just to shoot it.

and it really depends on the range. at this indoor range I used to go to in utah they allowed almost anything as long as you didn't have armor piercing rounds. they even rented out full auto weapons like M16, MP5 AK-47... man I miss that range!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post

You may want to check to see that your muffs and ear plugs are fitted properly. I'm around folks firing anything ranging from .22 all the way up to .500 s&w and even the M1-A SOCOM (.308). All I use is a pair of Peltor Tacticial Pro-6 ear muffs. No problems with ringing ears. Others on the range use the same ear muffs along with disposeable foam ear plugs. No problems with them either. I've known some co-workers using only disposeable 21db ear plugs. No problems. I'm guessin that there may have been a problem with the fit of your ear muffs, ear plugs or both.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

It will depend on the range. Most I've been to allow up to .45 but there are a very few .22 only ranges. As others have said, call and ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast