Bad idea - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I disagree. I don't keep on in the chamber on my 12 gauge pump shotgun that I keep under the bed because the deterrent effect of a round being chambered will be enough to stop most BGs in their tracks.
    I agree! Nothing is more noticable than a pump action being chambered. This will stop almost any BG in there track. Maybe not all, but most will think things over. +1 Tatted!
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

3. Keeping a loaded firearm under one's head while sleeping shows a serious lack of judgment. My weapon is kept on my nitestand hot & ready, though I pray to never have to use it.
    Stay safe - DW
    NRA Endowment Member
    Retired Fed

For those of you who keep a weapon on the nightstand and keep a round chambered, don't you worry about touching the trigger while fumbling around in the dark for your weapon? This concern about touching the trigger is exactly why I don't keep a round chambered in my Glock. Furthermore, I'm doubly disadvantaged due to the fact that I would have to put my glasses on in addition to reaching for my gun in the event of a home invasion. I guess my question is, how is fumbling around for a hot gun on the nightstand in the dark any less dangerous than keeping a loaded gun underneath one's pillow?
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 10-07-2008 at 09:21 AM.

5. No fumbling here. I've got tritiums on mine and they make it easy to find the gun in total darkness. As for the trigger, no problem. Even if I hit the trigger, which I won't, it's a 1911. If you can't safely handle your weapon in the dark you shouldn't be reaching for it in the first place. Just my two-cents.

6. PS... Keeping a loaded DA revolver under your pillow may be uncomfortable, but it's nowhere near the Major No-no some folks apparently think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoots Running View Post
    No fumbling here. I've got tritiums on mine and they make it easy to find the gun in total darkness. As for the trigger, no problem. Even if I hit the trigger, which I won't, it's a 1911. If you can't safely handle your weapon in the dark you shouldn't be reaching for it in the first place. Just my two-cents.

I agree. My hk has night sites. No mistake and no fumbling when I reach for it.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Ok, however I'm willing to wager that most people don't have night sights on their weapons. What about them? As for being the comment about being able safely handle their weapons in the dark, I agree, but only if you're carrying it. Let's face it, if you're in a deep sleep and get awakened by a the sound of someone breaking in, can you confidently say that you'll be able to reach for your weapon just as well as you'd be able to during the daytime? This is something I've actually practiced, and after 100 reps (on an unloaded weapon, of course), I touched the trigger 63 times. I'll just continue to stick with doing it the way I do it now, with no round in the chamber.

My Glock 23 is holstered and "hot" on the bedside table. I have a group of friends that get together and we train in our homes using airsoft pistols.

We've had great results. No serious mishaps, so far only a broken lamp and cracked picture frame. Small price to pay for the quality training.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Ok, however I'm willing to wager that most people don't have night sights on their weapons. What about them? As for being the comment about being able safely handle their weapons in the dark, I agree, but only if you're carrying it. Let's face it, if you're in a deep sleep and get awakened by a the sound of someone breaking in, can you confidently say that you'll be able to reach for your weapon just as well as you'd be able to during the daytime? This is something I've actually practiced, and after 100 reps (on an unloaded weapon, of course), I touched the trigger 63 times. I'll just continue to stick with doing it the way I do it now, with no round in the chamber.
    For me if I thought I could not get to my gun with out getting my finger on the trigger and shooting myself or someone I did not intend to shoot then I doubt that I would be able to rack the slide before I got shot either. If someone is not comfortable with one in the pipe then they should not have one in the pipe. For me it is not and issue.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

11. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with and what their level of competence tells them they can do.

As a suggestion– maybe the item that should be under your pillow is a powerful light, like a Surefire or something similar in the 60-70 lumens range. The light is handy, will destroy an intruder's night vision, and will also give a fumble-fingers some light to see his gun so he doesn't shoot himself in the foot.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast