Bad idea - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by Shoots Running View Post
    Everyone should do what they are comfortable with and what their level of competence tells them they can do.

As a suggestion– maybe the item that should be under your pillow is a powerful light, like a Surefire or something similar in the 60-70 lumens range. The light is handy, will destroy an intruder's night vision, and will also give a fumble-fingers some light to see his gun so he doesn't shoot himself in the foot.

+1. I keep a Streamlight Strion handy.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I think it depends on how quickly you become "awake"..... as in mentally able to safely handle a firearm. I've been an EMT for many years, and I'm awake in a few seconds. I don't sleep motionless, so the 1911 is on the nightstand in condition 1.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    +1. I keep a Streamlight Strion handy.
    That's actually a pretty good idea. I already have the one that I carry at work (I am a security officer), so I'll try that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    My Glock 23 is holstered and "hot" on the bedside table. I have a group of friends that get together and we train in our homes using airsoft pistols.

We've had great results. No serious mishaps, so far only a broken lamp and cracked picture frame. Small price to pay for the quality training.

gf
    Care to explain further? This gave me a really funny mental picture of you and your buddies doing scheduled break ins at each others homes in the dead of night . . . to be real good training you'd probably have to actually be asleep to start with, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mom of 3 angels View Post
    Care to explain further? This gave me a really funny mental picture of you and your buddies doing scheduled break ins at each others homes in the dead of night . . . to be real good training you'd probably have to actually be asleep to start with, don't you think?
    That's why it's a good idea to have several levels of home defense other than a gun. A dog or an alarm are good to have.

Quote Originally Posted by mom of 3 angels View Post
    Most of us work wierd shifts being either "swing shift", "graveyard" or in some cases even "split shifts". What we'll do is meet up on a weekend that we all manage to have the day (or night) off. We get to the house, then secure ALL firearms that are capable of shooting live ammo. The person being trained has his/her airsoft pistol checked by the designated safety officer. The person training will then go to bed (in full safety gear), while the rest of us will suit up and kick back for a couple of hours. Once we're confident that the guy (or gal) training is asleep, we'll begin our exercise.

On a couple of times I've questioned if my buddies were actually asleep, but we work on the honor system. Keep in mind that if they "cheat" then the're only hurting themself as they'll never know how they would operate if the situation were "real".

I like the multiple attacker scenario (usually 3 or 4). Though it's highly unlikely, it's good practice should this type of attack ever occur. Our exercise allows for the detention of attackers if possible. This is good practice in the event that an actual attacker surrenders after seeing his friend(s) being shot.

All of us have some level of training in handcuffing and arrest tactics. It's a great way to get quality training while getting to know our tight group of friends.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Most of us work wierd shifts being either "swing shift", "graveyard" or in some cases even "split shifts". What we'll do is meet up on a weekend that we all manage to have the day (or night) off. We get to the house, then secure ALL firearms that are capable of shooting live ammo. The person being trained has his/her airsoft pistol checked by the designated safety officer. The person training will then go to bed (in full safety gear), while the rest of us will suit up and kick back for a couple of hours. Once we're confident that the guy (or gal) training is asleep, we'll begin our exercise.

On a couple of times I've questioned if my buddies were actually asleep, but we work on the honor system. Keep in mind that if they "cheat" then the're only hurting themself as they'll never know how they would operate if the situation were "real".

I like the multiple attacker scenario (usually 3 or 4). Though it's highly unlikely, it's good practice should this type of attack ever occur. Our exercise allows for the detention of attackers if possible. This is good practice in the event that an actual attacker surrenders after seeing his friend(s) being shot.

All of us have some level of training in handcuffing and arrest tactics. It's a great way to get quality training while getting to know our tight group of friends.

gf
    Man... I love this. I wish I had friends that would participate in this. That sounds like real fun too. I think thats an excelent training idea. You can never be over prepared in my eyes. Way to go!
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    Man... I love this. I wish I had friends that would participate in this. That sounds like real fun too. I think thats an excelent training idea. You can never be over prepared in my eyes. Way to go!
    It's great training. Just be sure to let your neighbors know what's going on if you have one of those "neighborhood watch" programs or a very "nosey" neighbor. On one occasion at a buddy's house, the neighbors heard the commotion various commands like "show me your hands, don't make me have to shoot", got scared and called the cops.

We had a good laugh later, but was kind of scary when a dozen cops showed up with guns drawn.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Arf!

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    That's why it's a good idea to have several levels of home defense other than a gun. A dog or an alarm are good to have.
    Finally a mention of our four legged alarm system. I have my gun close but where I will not grab it in my sleep, but will never get snuck up on due to my two minature schnauzers who will have me long awake before any BG gets near my bedroom. So, maybe the deal is, handgun, maybe a shotgun, a good flashlight and a "yappy dog alarm system."
    NRA Certified Instructor, Vietnam Veteran
    XD 9 MM, XD 40, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 5.25 Custom Canyon Creek 9 mm, XDM 9MM, XDM 40 Canyon Creek XDM Limited, CZ 75B, Ruger MIII, Buckmark, Beretta Neos, CX4 Storm

11. Easy problem -- get a big mouth dog that barks at everything-- it is like an early warning system..

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast