How much ammo should we keep on hand - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much ammo should we keep on hand

1. Quote Originally Posted by Stan45 View Post
    You are going to barter.sell ammo that might be used against you?
    Lol, I thought I should been more descriptive. I have a lot of neighbors I'm friends with who are gun owners but haven't given any thought about prepping. I would supply them with what they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Amsden View Post
    Always an interesting question and I like to see the responses...I believe in at the very least 1000 rounds per weapon. But that's just me. I know of a friend of a friend that purchased 100K rounds of .556 a month or so ago. I can't do that. I also know of people that think anything more than a couple of boxes of bullets you are border line crazy. I purchase what I can afford and store safely and only a few know just how much. I have bought more than most possibly but I HAVE never sold anything I have purchased. I am not a hoarder or profiteer. I'm just not going to run out. I saw it in 2007/2008 when Bummer was running for office, ammo was scarce and again in 2012/2013 with Sandy hook. Yeh, we have ammo now but prices really aren't the best. Just remember....2016 will be here before you know it. No telling what is going to happen if the ugly ***** runs. Just be prepared fella's is all I can say.
    If she runs, we know what she'll try to do. 0bama would look like Hildabeast Lite.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by NewlyEnthused View Post
    Got a dumb question. Are we talking defensive ammo or practice ammo. I have about 1000 rnds of range ammo, but only about 50 (I need to get more) of defensive ammo.
    Me personally, I don't store "defensive" ammo. I buy mostly military surplus, in calibers it's available. The rest is "range" ammo, mostly FMJs. Most of my training rounds are reloaded and of the cast-lead type. In the sort of SHTF-world we're all perhaps imagining, FMJs will work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    I have started to see some renewed interest in this topic. Since the price is about as low as it is likely to go, how much should we stock up?

Some thoughts are:
    1. How much to make it through the next shortage?
    2. How much, and of what kind, to make it through a firefight? firefights?
    3. How much, just because the price is good and it's a good investment.
    Well, for #1 I think you should just think about how much you shoot up and go for storing that amount for a few years. #2 is really the unanswerable question, there's no way to know how much ammo you're going to need for a gunfight. Usually, you're going to want all you can get. Obviously, you're going to want to do your best to avoid gunfights being as they're bad for your health. However, what sort of enemy are you expecting? The random visitor looking for trouble, a platoon-sized gang packing heat or fighting a guerrilla war? How long do you expect to be in such circumstances? Weeks, months or years? For #3, I'd say every bit you can safely afford. Ammo is always a good investment, it has a shelf-life of many decades and can always be used to punch holes in paper or ring steel if you never find yourself on that two-way range.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    That sounds reasonable and thoughtful though I would change the order. Number 3, firearms and ammo goes to the front. Like the 2a it protects the others.
    As far as ammo.... If I owned any guns I would think minimum would be 3,000 rounds for each caliber especially in a SHTF scenario. You can replace box by box what you shoot at the range.
    For everyday self defense carry ammo, that depends how much you practice with it. Remember in a SHTF situation range ammo is self defense ammo and less costly considering the thousands you want on hand.
    Whatever the individual feels most comfortable with, CapGun. I usually tell people to start with food, water, medical & hygiene because I know how often those things are neglected in preps in favor of more weapons and ammo. It's a tough habit to break, buying more and more guns while thinking it's "prepping". Odds are, people will find themselves using much more food, water, medical & hygiene items than weapons and will probably have regretted not storing more of the former. I'm not saying that storing firearms and ammo isn't important, it's just something that doesn't have to be told to people while the other, less glorious preps, usually get forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Amsden View Post
    Always an interesting question and I like to see the responses...I believe in at the very least 1000 rounds per weapon. But that's just me. I know of a friend of a friend that purchased 100K rounds of .556 a month or so ago. I can't do that. I also know of people that think anything more than a couple of boxes of bullets you are border line crazy. I purchase what I can afford and store safely and only a few know just how much. I have bought more than most possibly but I HAVE never sold anything I have purchased. I am not a hoarder or profiteer. I'm just not going to run out. I saw it in 2007/2008 when Bummer was running for office, ammo was scarce and again in 2012/2013 with Sandy hook. Yeh, we have ammo now but prices really aren't the best. Just remember....2016 will be here before you know it. No telling what is going to happen if the ugly ***** runs. Just be prepared fella's is all I can say.
    I envision that regardless of who runs in 2016, the fear of any Leftist-type becoming POTUS will cause another run on ammo like we saw in '12. Buy what you can, while you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
    Lol, I thought I should been more descriptive. I have a lot of neighbors I'm friends with who are gun owners but haven't given any thought about prepping. I would supply them with what they need.
    STILL not a good idea....... what happens when all they have is ammo and guns, and you have FOOD and other preps in addition to ammo and guns? Think some of them might not use that ammo on you when they are starving just because you sold it to them?.... NEVER BARTER ANYTHING THAT CAN COME BACK AT YOU FROM A DISTANCE...... because it just might.....

IM guessing the question posed has to do with one of two things... either the shortage of ammo, or some sort of inevitable Armageddon.. I belong to a gun club, a sportsman club, not a tactical, or defensive club.. been a member for 40 years. clud offers pistol , small bore, big bore, black powder, table traps, sheet, trap, 5 stand, air rifle, archery, archery field course, air gun field course. I shoot 50 round a week of my personal defense weapon and carry load, just to keep my edge.. I also do a lot of Bench gun shooting.. I buy by the brick or the case. At my range I shoot with people of similar shooting preferences so at all times we will buy in cases, and save on the deal... we have a bulletin board that changes weekly with good deals on specific ammo. The club also offers great deals on ammo ( for the day )
    The answer for Armageddon would be as much as you could afford... as far as the shortage goes, you can benchmark many ammo suppliers and check weekly as they all get lots of specific ammo in ,, and it doesn't stay in stock for long... many places only offer a limited order quantity...thing are getting better... slow but sure.. most ammo manufacturers are going 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by ET View Post
    IM guessing the question posed has to do with one of two things... either the shortage of ammo, or some sort of inevitable Armageddon..
    Yes, a little of both, although I wouldn't call a breakdown in civil society "Amageddon." More along the lines of what Venezuala is going through right now.

I shoot 50 round a week of my personal defense weapon and carry load, just to keep my edge..
    You shoot 50 a week of your defense load, not an equivalent practice load?
    While that is commendable, it does seem a little on the pricy side. Do you buy that locally, or order it from a supplier?

as far as the shortage goes, you can benchmark many ammo suppliers and check weekly as they all get lots of specific ammo in ,, and it doesn't stay in stock for long... many places only offer a limited order quantity...thing are getting better... slow but sure.. most ammo manufacturers are going 24/7
    Are you saying you are still experiencing supply problems where you are?
    I am not seeing much supply problem, although the prices are higher than they were a few years ago.
    Of course, everything is higher than a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    I wouldn't call a breakdown in civil society "Armageddon."
    Exactly. Not everything bad that happens with people, their governments, or the economy equates to a 7 mile wide Asteroid hitting Times Square.

I feel pretty comfortable with 500 rounds of each caliber I have. Some I have more than that. If I had to bug out, I would probably barter some of my ammo, because reality is, I would not be able to carry all of it. If I stay IN, I would not barter ammo for anything.
    I have enough supplies that are essential to last a good while. If truly an Armageddon type event, then all is fair.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !!!

57 AND COUNTING

Short answer: As much as you can reasonably afford. Shoot one buy two.

Armageddon (in the non Biblical sense) is far less likely than another long term ammo panic so prepare for that
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast