Need advice on CC for long road trip - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on CC for long road trip

1. Quote Originally Posted by jbyun View Post
    I'm still going to look into the Traverler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States. Thanks for the heads up wuzfuz.
    Well, I guess that cinches it: I am chopped liver.

Books

The issue with getting any book is that laws change frequently. I would consult handgunlaw.us prior to going on your trip and not invest in a book as it may be obsolete by the time you actually consult it. For something as volatile as firearm laws, I wouldn't waste my money on any printed book because of this obsolence factor.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

4. And how do you go about vouching for the timeliness and accuracy of handgunlaw? At least TRAVELERS has a track record and is written by an attorrney (big deal, huh?). I always take anything I read on the 'net with a grain of salt. It's a great resource but it's also an endless supply of false information. To make the best use of the 'net you have to know something about the subject in the first place.

The book is an excellent reference guide, though you should do some checking before traveling. All 50 states have a website where contact information is available for agencies responsible for enforcing firearms laws. You can contact the agency directly by phone, however I strongly recommend contacting them by email if possible. This way you'll receive a written response and the name of a contact person should the information provided be inaccurate. I heard a rumor that as of January of this year the State of Nevada was recognizing CC permits from other states. After checking with the authorities in NV, I was educated to the fact that the rumors were true.

If anyone needs contact info for the individual states, Luke and crew have done an excellent job of putting that info in the "resources" section. If you need further info, PM me and I'll send you what I've got.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Shoots Running View Post
    Well, I guess that cinches it: I am chopped liver.
    Totally my bad Shoots. Thank you ALSO for the heads up

As for the concerns of outdated material, I bought the 2008 version, which apparently contains 32 changes or something like that so I should be good to go.

I guess after this year, the book will be my baseline and whenever I travel I can search online to see if there are any changes since the book was published. However, when you're researching online, the data is all over the place and this one consolidates all the information into one book so it's easier to pick and choose the state that you're interested in as you travel.

It's always good to have something in writing that shows that you made an effort to check out the laws BEFORE you started your travels. In many cases, as long as you're not blatantly violating the law, you may get a pass based on your "due diligence". It wouldn't hurt to check with the local authorities. Many states have laws that go into effect on some pretty weird dates.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Shoots Running View Post
    And how do you go about vouching for the timeliness and accuracy of handgunlaw? At least TRAVELERS has a track record and is written by an attorrney (big deal, huh?). I always take anything I read on the 'net with a grain of salt. It's a great resource but it's also an endless supply of false information. To make the best use of the 'net you have to know something about the subject in the first place.
    It's much easier to update an electronic medium than it is to update printed medium. Regardless of the track record it isn't going to do you much good if a set of laws have changed since the printing or revision you have. It's a given that you are going to see out of date information after a legislative session is over. Handgunlaw.us also has the block of codes, laws or statutes relevant to carrying so you can verify it yourself on the respective State legislature website or an equivalent law archive such as lexisnexis. It provides an excellent starting point for verifying the current laws in effect.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Our own Resources section is also a valuable resource for road travel. Check it out. Third item on top menu bar.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!
    EDC Primary: M&P45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Insight XTI Procyon light in SmartCarry holster
    >>> http://MP-Pistol.com/
    EDC BUF: LCP, Crimson Trace LaserGuard in DeSantis Super Fly holster
    >>> http://LCPforum.com/

Are you getting off of the interstate in those locations?

Just thought that I would let you know that if an interstate passes through a national (old law) or state park that the area of the interstate, including the rest areas, are not considered part of the park in regards to lawful permit holders. As long as you are not entering the park proper, lawful carry is permitted. Have fun on your trip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12