Need advice on CC for long road trip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on CC for long road trip

Need advice on CC for long road trip

Hello Everyone,

Brand new to the forum and figured I would ask the knowledgable regarding CC advice for an upcoming road trip.

This Christmas, we are planning to drive to Kansas from NC. We'll pass through VA, WV, KY, IN, IL, MO, and finally reach our destination in KS and out of all those states IL is the only state that doesn't honor NC's conceal carry permit. However, it seems that each state has different state laws regarding whether or not it is legal to have a concealed hangun in state parks, national forests, etc and I was wondering what would be the best way to carry during this road trip.

I was initially planning on concealed carry except while we drive through IL but now it may seem that may not be a good idea. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by jbyun View Post
    This Christmas, we are planning to drive to Kansas from NC. We'll pass through VA, WV, KY, IN, IL, MO, and finally reach our destination in KS and out of all those states IL is the only state that doesn't honor NC's conceal carry permit. However, it seems that each state has different state laws regarding whether or not it is legal to have a concealed hangun in state parks, national forests, etc and I was wondering what would be the best way to carry during this road trip.

I was initially planning on concealed carry except while we drive through IL but now it may seem that may not be a good idea. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
    When you can legally carry, do it. When you can't you secure it in your trunk in accordance to 18 USC 926A.

The firearm(s) are in your trunk (or as far away from the passenger compartment as possible if you're in an SUV, truck, van or crossover type vehicle. Unloaded, ammunition in a case separate from the firearms. There is some legal debate if a loaded magazine or clip constitutes a loaded firearm. In some States it does as a magazine is an a working part of a semi-auto pistol. A charged speedloader or speedstrip is not as those are not working parts of a revolver.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

4. Don't take chances. Get a copy of TRAVELER'S GUIDE TO THE GUNS LAWS OF THE FIFTY STATES. It is THE reference for this kind of question. Very reasonably priced, too.

You don't have to worry about Nat. Forrest, just Nat. Parks. State Parks you have to worry about State to State. You can go on each of the states forums here and check the laws also. I print them out and put them in a folder for my vehicle for quick reference. Highlighting pertinent info for each state helps also.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Thank you all for the helpful information. As anyone on a long trip knows, you want to minimize your time in the car by consolidating bathroom breaks, etc and trying to stop only when necessary. I may consider just putting my gun in the trunk so I don't have to pull over everytime we enter/leave a National Park, State Park, or States.

It just doesn't seem it's worth the trouble when we're driving most of the time. Perhaps if we stop at a sketchy gas station late at night, I may CC while we're filling up.

Which national parks/forests do you plan on passing through? I say that, with the exception of IL, if you're not passing through a prohibited area, then carry.

Carry when you legally can and when you're not, be aware that you're not. Nothing worse than reaching for something that's not there. Consider having a readily accessible common object nearby that *is* universally legal, like a box cutter or hammer. It's better than nothing and you can always make up an excuse for its presence.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    Carry when you legally can and when you're not, be aware that you're not. Nothing worse than reaching for something that's not there. Consider having a readily accessible common object nearby that *is* universally legal, like a box cutter or hammer. It's better than nothing and you can always make up an excuse for its presence.
    If you carry often, you're well aware when you're not carrying. I'm a bit on edge when I don't carry.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

10. Need advice

I would highly recommend J. Scott Kappas, Esq's book 'Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States.' I just purchased a copy of it at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Lacey, WA. for about $13.00. Each page is one state's gun laws, as they apply to someone travelling through with firearms. Excellent book, at a most reasonable price.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Upon further examination of the route I'm taking, it seems that I'll only be passing through the following:

1. Pilot Mountain State Park in NC (Can't carry in State Parks for NC)
    2. Hoosier National Forrest in IN (Can carry in IN - DNR)

So it seems I'll just have to put my gun in the trunk while I'm passing through Pilot Mountain State Park and Illinois. Boo for Illinois and their anti gun nazi politicians (nobama)

I'm still going to look into the Traverler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States. Thanks for the heads up wuzfuz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast