My Smith & Wesson customer service experience
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Smith & Wesson customer service experience

1. My Smith & Wesson customer service experience

I bought a Bodyguard 380 over a month ago for a backup gun. The next day I noticed that you couldn't insert a magazine without pushing the mag release button in. So since I couldn't get it working, I sent it back through the dealer I bought it from. Over a month later, I call S&W to see what the deal is. They tell me it hit their shipping department to be shipped back the day before. Cool deal. But then she said the notes on it said no repair was made as nothing was seen to be repaired. I got a little pissed with her at that point, so she told me that sometimes if it's a very minor repair that is what they will put. Yeah...so I'm skeptical that it even got fixed. Here it is 2 weeks since that conversation and I call back today and it's still sitting in their shipping department with a note saying "they needed my dealers FFL information". So I asked the customer service agent what I needed to do to get it taken care of and he said nothing, their people would be taking care of it. So I called my dealer to see if they knew anything about it and he said that he has never ever heard of that and that they have never had to give their FFL information to S&W for a repair because they're an authorized dealer and their stuff is already on file. So the S&W customer service guy couldn't give me any advice on how to know if and when it ever ships out. I feel like I'm getting hoo-dooed.

I can't speak to their shipping issues, but my BG also needs to have the mag release depressed to load. Why did you call this a defect?

4. Thats unusual to have to push the mag release to insert a mag

I was less then impressed by them myself. I bought an M&P 9MM early in 2013. It has a 17 round magazine. For the next 7 months there were no magazines to be found other then scalpers, which I would not pay. So I send an email to S&W and ask whats up. It seems like they did not support their customers after the sale. I told him that I had no trouble buying for my Sig, Ruger and Springfield's. But for the last 7 months they had nothing in stock, nor did anyone else. The rep told me that they did not make their own magazines. He also said that S&W is selling firearms as fast as they can make them and that the other brands I mentioned, wished they had S&W problems. So I got the impression that my business was not that important. So for right now I will support the other brands.

I agree, but I can't immediately call it a defect. I've only put 50 rounds through mine and can't speak to whether this is simply a breakin issue or not.

I was actually hoping the OP had information to educate me on this specific firearm. I do know that this issue WAS a breakin issue with my Kel Tec.

7. Welcome to the club!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a whole website about incompetent service & defects on the bodyguard and S&W. their lying about shipping is documented as SOP for them - I know first hand - they lied to me each time too - took calls to supervisors and supervisor's supervisors to get mine back in only 4-5 weeks each time it was supposedly in the shipping dept.......

My bodyguard had too small an ID barrel - took 4 - count it - 4! trips back to them before they finally fixed it! called me an idiot along the way! 6 months back and forth. Last trip they broke the sites and I refused to return it just fixed them myself. Idiots and total incompetent service folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will stick with Glocks thank you very much.

PS; yes, if you research this common problem with them you will find it IS a defect. IIRC the fix is some fillng of rough edges on top of magazine

8. Quote Originally Posted by akmark View Post
    I agree, but I can't immediately call it a defect. I've only put 50 rounds through mine and can't speak to whether this is simply a breakin issue or not.

I was actually hoping the OP had information to educate me on this specific firearm. I do know that this issue WAS a breakin issue with my Kel Tec.
    Yeah I thought maybe it was supposed to be like that but I did some research online and also tried out 3 different ones in the store and found out it's not supposed to be like that. I bought mine for a backup duty gun so I want it working flawlessly.

Mine was a simple in/out of mags a few times (like with most firearms I own I go though some slow to fast drills on getting mags in/out/etc) IE getting used to it.

Once the mag is in - and you shoot.. does it go bang? o.O
    if its a BUG - are you gonna carry extra mags for it? or use the 6+1 as last resort? if your only gonna have the single mag for it - why would putting it in cause an issue? does it go in with a bit more shove? jw.. I know when I first got my Bodyguard - the mag release spring was rather stiff for mag release (not nearly as stiff as XDm though) but eh - after a few mag drop tests (mag in, then mag drop / repeat a few times)

Cause all guns are different - not like same line different - but like my 92FS doesn't have same set up as my XDm kinda different.
    other then that idk - Ive not had any issues with firearms recently - though I did have an issue with a Kel-tec Sub 9 back in the day... but I no longer have that. It was not a major issue - but the butt piece would come off completely because the "glue" that glued the plastic to the metal failed.. but only when the retaining pin was removed - otherwise it was fine.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dunewolf View Post
    Mine was a simple in/out of mags a few times (like with most firearms I own I go though some slow to fast drills on getting mags in/out/etc) IE getting used to it.

Once the mag is in - and you shoot.. does it go bang? o.O
    if its a BUG - are you gonna carry extra mags for it? or use the 6+1 as last resort? if your only gonna have the single mag for it - why would putting it in cause an issue? does it go in with a bit more shove? jw.. I know when I first got my Bodyguard - the mag release spring was rather stiff for mag release (not nearly as stiff as XDm though) but eh - after a few mag drop tests (mag in, then mag drop / repeat a few times)

Cause all guns are different - not like same line different - but like my 92FS doesn't have same set up as my XDm kinda different.
    other then that idk - Ive not had any issues with firearms recently - though I did have an issue with a Kel-tec Sub 9 back in the day... but I no longer have that. It was not a major issue - but the butt piece would come off completely because the "glue" that glued the plastic to the metal failed.. but only when the retaining pin was removed - otherwise it was fine.
    I tried getting use to it and just couldn't. But honestly, when you pay for something like that, you shouldn't have to get used to something that isn't functioning properly. Yes, even though it's a BUG, it came with 2 mags so I'm carrying the extra. I'm the type person that, if it could help save my life, it ain't gonna just sit on the dresser at the house. And we just got new exterior tactical vests with all the pockets so storage isn't an issue. But I tried everything I could short of drop kicking this thing and the mag still wouldn't go in. I whacked the butt of the gun on the table a few hard time and it still wouldn't go. If it comes back and hasn't been fixed, I'm probably gonna blow up on somebody on the phone. Especially reading all this about how they're notorious for doing that sort of thing.

Doh I hate to hear this about S&W I have been thinking about the new BG for a back up but I have just started looking in to them. The mustang poly is looking better and better
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast