Numbers

Thread: Numbers

Numbers

Correlating Gun Control Laws Worldwide and Crime Discloses Surprises | Sapphire Sky

We already know this, of course, but it's nice to have some numbers handy to refer to. Haven't really seen it correlated like this before, at least not in as simple a manner.

Likely it's been around, but I hadn't seen it yet. Forgive me if I've duplicated.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Can't dispute stats, although they can be manipulated to the NTH degree. I think it was Robert Heinlein that stated “An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
    If you haven't read him and enjoy scifi please give him a try. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury were all think tank people/R&D for the DOD back in the fifties. Truly brilliant minds....(Sorry, not trying to highjack the thread)
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Can't dispute stats, although they can be manipulated to the NTH degree. I think it was Robert Heinlein that stated “An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
    If you haven't read him and enjoy scifi please give him a try. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury were all think tank people/R&D for the DOD back in the fifties. Truly brilliant minds....(Sorry, not trying to highjack the thread)
    Hijacking the thread with good authors is always acceptable! Been enjoying Kurt Vonnegut lately, myself.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Their writings is not necessarily just about the other Worlds and fictional settings. They write about social attitudes and tenets that will progress under what they believe is an ultimate end to independent thought. Ayn Rand says it's the best. Or worst, because a lot of her writings have become true.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

6. Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    Hijacking the thread with good authors is always acceptable! Been enjoying Kurt Vonnegut lately, myself.
    I agree completely, one should be well armed intellectually (by that I mean well read, not necessarily college degreed) as well as physically. That's why I really enjoy the quotes so many place at the end of their posts, always collecting new ammo.