How often do you clean your gun ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you clean your gun ?

How often do you clean your gun ?

If you go to the range and shoot 50 rounds through your gun once a week, do you clean it every week? I know many of you probably shoot more rounds but the cost of ammo gets a bit prohibitive. Please specify whether revolver , semi auto or both.

Also, do you clean a new gun before you shoot it for the first time? I hear you should but have seen quite a few youtube vid's where the reviewer shoots it right out of the box.

Thanks!

I clean my carry guns (revolvers and semi autos) on a regular basis in addition to after firing them.

The other guns I clean after firing them.

Doesn't matter if I fired a couple of hundred rounds or I fired only one... the guns mentioned above get cleaned after they have been fired.

I do have a .22 bolt action rifle, a break open 12ga shotgun, and a 9mm High Point pistol, that are for range use only and I don't bother to clean them at all. I consider them to be my "beater" guns. Oddly enough they still work every time even though they are dirty as can be.

And I don't clean a new gun before firing it... I figure it should work perfect right out of the box and I want to see if it will work perfectly right out of the box. If it doesn't then I bought a bad gun.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others.

Quote Originally Posted by indyyy View Post
    If you go to the range and shoot 50 rounds through your gun once a week, do you clean it every week? I know many of you probably shoot more rounds but the cost of ammo gets a bit prohibitive. Please specify whether revolver , semi auto or both.

Also, do you clean a new gun before you shoot it for the first time? I hear you should but have seen quite a few youtube vid's where the reviewer shoots it right out of the box.

Thanks!
    I clean my firearms weekly, but I also make holsters and get kydex shavings in my firearms more than normal. If I don't make holsters, I clean them after range sessions (200-500 rounds) or once a couple months if not able to make it to the range.

I do clean new guns, probably don't need to, but I don't like getting excess oil on me firing a brand new gun.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I Clean right after a range day and a light cleaning right before. By light cleaning I mean I take the weapon down, wipe it down with a microfiber cloth and re-oil everything.
    Following this process I feel I have prevented my weapons from acting up at the range. I have seen a few weapons act up when normally they function fine.
    Mine are Semi Auto with only one revolver.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Blog Entries
    I always clean my pistols after a range visit. I try to take down/inspect/ lube everything every couple of months. My EDC will get lubed and wiped down every week. When I by a new semi auto pistol I always will take it down and inspect it and lube it before it goes to the range.

I clean my pistols after I fire them. I wipe down and lube my carry pistol once a week fired or not.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

This question has been answered in part before: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handg...-schedule.html and http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handg...ur-weapon.html. It is not only how often, but also how do you clean your gun. I do a quick cleaning after a range trip (of those guns that I actually shot) and a more deep cleaning about every 6-12 months (again only of those guns that I actually shot).

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I am using:
    • M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner for cleaning
    • Breakfree CLP for cleaning & rust protection
    • HOPPE's #9 Lubricating Oil for lubrication
    • Tetra Gun Grease for lubrication

For a quick cleaning after a range trip, I am field stripping the gun and cleaning it with Breakfree CLP. Then I apply a small amount of HOPPE's #9 Lubricating Oil at specific points using a Q-tip.

For a more deep cleaning (every 6-12 months), I am detail stripping the gun (including magazines) and clean all parts with M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner. Then I apply Breakfree CLP to those parts. I apply a small amount of Tetra Gun Grease to specific internal points using a Q-tip. Then I apply a small amount of HOPPE's #9 Lubricating Oil at the same specific points as in the quick cleaning process using a Q-tip.

Here are a number of tips:
    • Detail stripping your gun too often can wear out pins. Don't detail strip your gun after every range trip. However, detail stripping also helps to identify wear and tear, which is important for parts replacement.
    • Don't "clean" your gun with lubricating oil. Lubricating oil is not a solvent. It also can cause malfunctions if applied to the wrong places. Never put lubricating oil in the barrel or the firing pin channel.
    • Gun grease vs. gun oil: There is lot's of information on the internet about that. I am using grease on the parts that I won't clean and oil regularly, but need lubrication (the extractor spring/channel for example).
    • How much oil and which parts to oil: RTFM. Also, to quote James Yeager, people tend to overlube their handguns and underlube their rifles.
    • If you carry IWB without a barrier between the metal parts of your gun and your body, wipe down the outside of your gun with Breakfree CLP regularly (daily or weekly) to remove sweat deposits.
    • ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED WHEN CLEANING, even when just wiping down the outside of your gun with Breakfree CLP.

9. my new colt pt22 says in manual 'clean after about 500 rounds.' got about 300 thru it so far via short 3x/wk shooting 3-5 mags each. working fine.

glock 21, 30s, after 4-5 sets of 3 mag sessions. working fine after a few tho rounds. ditto bodygaurd 380 pistol.

cleaning when not shot seems like a waste of cleaning product and time. cleaning after each 50 round session proved to not be required to me. only edc gets cleaned before next carry.

Howdy,

Most people either over clean or under clean their guns.

My ex-BIL would completely disassemble his handgun after every time he shot it 20 rounds or more.

He bought a Norinco 1911A1 and after firing 50 rounds he would completely disassemble it including removing the firing pin, extractor, etc. he did this every time.

I bought it from him in 1993 and 15,000 rounds later it hasn't need taken apart any farther than a simple field stripping.

I use Gun Scrubber ( Synthetic for plastic guns ) to clean 'em and either RemOil or, here lately, Royal Purple gun oil to oil 'em.

Rimfire is dirty so you need to clean more often. Back in the early 90's I was given about 10lbs of Green Dot that was made mid 80's and it was very, very dirty, almost pyrodex dirty, and after 100 rounds my gun was fouled up. Finally, after 20 years I have shot it all up.

Nowadays I use Clays Universal which is much, much cleaner.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

11. After every range session, nothing in between, even for my edc.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast