convenient store?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: convenient store?

convenient store?

Me and my wife talked about this after reading in the news about a store being robbed in NH. I will ask it and then tell you what she said she would do. Please feel free to put in what you would do.

It's 9pm and you stop at a local convenient store for something (could be gas, smokes, beer, soda anything) you get out of the car and walk into the store. You are in there looking around for what you want the door opens and you hear GIVE ME ALL THE MONEY/GET YOUR HANDS UP. He/She wants all the money in the store you have your hands up as they told you. They turn and point the gun at you and the rest of the people in the store. You see They have that look in their eye and they turn back around. You are Legal to CC you have a feeling that something bad is going to go down. They have that crazy look in that look of being up for days and coming down off of a high, the look that says they will do whatever they need to do to get money for more They turn around again and point the gun at every one again. You can hear it in thier voice they are getting more worked up because it's taking so long to get the money. What would you do?
    My wife said as he was turning around again she would shoot them. I said i would do the same when it became clear that they are not just going to take the money/The first time they pointed the gun at me!!

She has now filled out the paper work for her CC permit......

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

No one better lay a hand on my Butterfinger!
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

LOL, Hey Sambo,

Great to have a follow NHer back.. Have not seen you around in a while.

I would have fired. Dropped him like a bad habit.

Your wife is smart to get that. I hope my girl will get hers one day
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

wolfhunter Guest
    One dead thief.

In Florida

776.031 Use of force in defense of others

A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

776.08 Forcible felony

"Forcible felony" means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

In a word - shoot at the first reasonable tactical opportunity.
    Orlando, FL

CRIMINAL CODE
    CHAPTER 627
    JUSTIFICATION
    Section 627:4

II. A person is justified in using deadly force upon another person when he reasonably believes that such other person:
    (a) Is about to use unlawful, deadly force against the actor or a third person;
    (b) Is likely to use any unlawful force against a person present while committing or attempting to commit a burglary;
    (c) Is committing or about to commit kidnapping or a forcible sex offense; or
    (d) Is likely to use any unlawful force in the commission of a felony against the actor within such actor's dwelling or its curtilage.
    III. A person is not justified in using deadly force on another to defend himself or a third person from deadly force by the other if he knows that he and the third person can, with complete safety:
    (a) Retreat from the encounter, except that he is not required to retreat if he is within his dwelling or its curtilage and was not the initial aggressor; or
    (b) Surrender property to a person asserting a claim of right thereto; or
    (c) Comply with a demand that he abstain from performing an act which he is not obliged to perform; nor is the use of deadly force justifiable when, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, the actor has provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter.
    (d) If he is a law enforcement officer or a private person assisting him at his direction and was acting pursuant to RSA 627:5, he need not retreat.

So what i get from this (b) Is likely to use any unlawful force against a person present while committing or attempting to commit a burglary; is if they are holding up the store and they hit the clerk you by law can shoot and kill them? Is that right or no?
    Last edited by S&WM&P40; 10-19-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GHF View Post
    776.031 Use of force in defense of others

A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

776.08 Forcible felony

"Forcible felony" means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

In a word - shoot at the first reasonable tactical opportunity.
    +1. Here in Florida we'd be more then justified to stop the threat on the clerk or myself. If the BG caught me off guard and has already pointing a gun at me I'd tried to divert his attention to something else (getting the money/clerk). Drawing on someone that's already draw down on you is a bad situation. Most likely, his attention will be on the clerk and getting the money. So Ideally I'd try to move to a position were I'd have the time to draw and get a well aim shot off.

This scenario came up in one of the classes I took. One of the students said they'd move to a good position, announce, and shoot if BG did not comply. The instructor asked why in the world would you draw his attention back to you. Announcing and waiting to comply is only going to get him to turn and possible get a shot off at you. The instructor said, if possible, move to a position for a clear shot and take a well aim shot. Stopping the threat.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

This came up in our class, too. If the bg pointed the gun at me/us/the patrons then turned backaround and pointed it at the clerk again, I would drop or try to find a position of cover where I could drop the bg with my best shot. I would not wait until the bg turned around and pointed their gun at me/us the second time.

Two questions:

If I shot the bg anywhere but in the front of his body would I be charged with something like unjustifiable homicide if the bg isn't directly facing me?

I realize that there is/would be a direct threat to the clerk or other patrons, and I'm not a LEO so I don't have to yell, "Freeze!" Or must I? I'd be inclined to say nothing and just drop the sucka!

see i was thinking the same thing. If you shoot someone in the back.I think up here in NH you have to tell them stop or something to that affect and then shot but i am not sure. I am just unsure about shooting someone in the back WOULD A DA/AD not eat that stuff all up and have you in jail before dinner?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast