AR Help for the Uninformed - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Help for the Uninformed

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    DANG, what about caliber?????

Since there seems to be fuss about .223 shortages, is there a better caliber to consider? .308 is WAY overkill for my desires. I don't want anything exotic, either.......something I can buy at Wal Mart if need be.
    I've heard people saying that also but there are plenty of sites that have .223 in stock and anytime I'm in Walmart they have a few boxes.

I've seen AR's in about any caliber you can think of. .223, .308, 7.62x39, 6.5 grendel, 6.8, ect. I think it'd be nice to have one in 7.62 and my build one at some point but my next one will be a 20" or 24" heavy barrel 6.5 grendel.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

3. Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    Caliber question:

What's the difference between .223 Remington & 5.56x45mm???
    My understanding is that the main difference between the two is that the 5.56 has a greater gas pressure. I believe you can shoot .223 in a gun chambered for 5.56, but not vice-versa (though I'm not positive, look it up for yourself if you plan on trying that). Here is an article on the 5.56 round.

5.56x45mm NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm really leaning towards DPMS if I go the AR route.....

I'm just wondering if this is an expenditure I really need right now. Would you get a new AR, plus all the ammo to go with it, or just beef up your ammo collection as it pertains to what you already have?
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

I'm really leaning towards DPMS if I go the AR route.....

I'm just wondering if this is an expenditure I really need right now. Would you get a new AR, plus all the ammo to go with it, or just beef up your ammo collection as it pertains to what you already have?
    Well, it depends on what you currently have. In my case I already have a nice lightweight carbine in a rifle caliber so I'd lean more toward more ammo, mags, or a nice 12 gauge (since I do not have one). If you do not have a rifle in your collection yet I'd buy the AR and ammo.

Also the 5.56 is a higher pressure round then the .223. Most barrels come chambered for 5.56 but you'll want to check the barrel stamping before you buy it.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

My "arsenal" is as follows:

12 gauge Remington 870 (bird hunting only, so far)
    Beretta CX4 .40S&W carbine
    Beretta 9000s .40S&W pistol
    Marlin .30-30 (at the gunsmith, but will be retrieved before Nov. 4)

So I'm a little weak in the rifle department. I've looked at spending $250 (that I do have) or so on a bunch of .40 Gold Dots or close to $1000 (that I really don't have) for a new rifle and plenty of ammo. Plus, I'd have to really have a crash course with the AR since it's a totally new beast to me. I've only shot & broke down an M-16 once, and that was 9 years ago. Suffice to say that I'm a little new at the whole black rifle thing.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

My "arsenal" is as follows:

12 gauge Remington 870 (bird hunting only, so far)
    Beretta CX4 .40S&W carbine
    Beretta 9000s .40S&W pistol
    Marlin .30-30 (at the gunsmith, but will be retrieved before Nov. 4)

So I'm a little weak in the rifle department. I've looked at spending $250 (that I do have) or so on a bunch of .40 Gold Dots or close to $1000 (that I really don't have) for a new rifle and plenty of ammo. Plus, I'd have to really have a crash course with the AR since it's a totally new beast to me. I've only shot & broke down an M-16 once, and that was 9 years ago. Suffice to say that I'm a little new at the whole black rifle thing.

Ya with us not knowing how this next election is going to turn out I'd buy up an AK or an AR while you can. It'll be a nice addition to your arsenal. I don't think it'll take you long to feel comfortable with it and they are very configurable to your taste.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    Ya with us not knowing how this next election is going to turn out I'd buy up an AK or an AR while you can. It'll be a nice addition to your arsenal. I don't think it'll take you long to feel comfortable with it and they are very configurable to your taste.
    +1. If you can get a good battle rifle and then start stocking up on the ammo like there is no tomorrow. When it comes to firearms and ammo there may not be.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I've decided to forgo the AR for the time being & just buy up a bunch of ammo and a few extra mags. I can save the money between now and 1/20/09 for the AR I want & can afford. If McCain wins, I won't have to worry about it, and I'll be able to use that saved money towards a new vehicle or vacation.

Thanks to everyone for your input

Not to drag this thread on, but, any suggestions on a used AR? As I said earlier, I got $ ready but noticing also that there are used ones out there at Gun stores. I do not want to go through gun site auctions etc.. I play guitar so I know what to look for if I'm buying new or used. An AR, I don't. There are 3 dealers in my area, two of which also sell used while the other sells new. That's where I'm looking at a new one. Are gun owners just upgrading their weapons; trading them in; in many cases meaning there is nothing wrong with the used weapon?? Dealers must go through them before they sell, right?
    Thnx.!
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast