30 ought 6 and 30 ought 8 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 ought 6 and 30 ought 8

Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoots Running View Post
    Good handloads using the right powders in the .308 with mid-range bullets )91(140-150gr) will outperform the '06 in velocity. They are not "slower."
    They are slower in most factory loads but I load mine to match -06 ballistics for my bolt gun.

I would not suggest putting little blue pills in a semiauto due to the fact that op rods(M1A) are expensive and roller locking bolts (HK91) may not contain the force
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

3. Just as an aside...

There really ain't no such critter as a ".30 ought 8." The designation ".30-'06" (often spoken as "thirty-ought-six") indicates the .30 caliber rifle cartridge adopted by the US in 1906, which was a modification of the cartridge originally designed for the Springfield '03 in 1903. Usually the ".30 ought 8" is called simply the "three-oh-eight," which designates the diameter of the bullet. Which happens to be the same as the .30-'06.

5. Hahaha. "when I was in the USAF". The only experience I had with the chair force in country was a brief stay at Balad on my way back to the states after I took a 7.62 in the leg. All they know about is 4 month deployments and swimming pools and fountains and lots of exaggerated stories. Go with the 308

I have a Korean conflict era M1 Garand in the original 30-06 caliber that is a blast to shoot. I do not want a Garand in 308 simply because it was not originally designed for that caliber. I would however like to have an M14 that was designed and originally produced in 308. I have hunted with both the 30-06 and 308 for many years and both are excellent calibers for hunting. They are both more than accurate enough and powerful enough for any game you can hunt in the lower 48 states.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Shoots Running View Post
    Just as an aside...

There really ain't no such critter as a ".30 ought 8." The designation ".30-'06" (often spoken as "thirty-ought-six") indicates the .30 caliber rifle cartridge adopted by the US in 1906, which was a modification of the cartridge originally designed for the Springfield '03 in 1903. Usually the ".30 ought 8" is called simply the "three-oh-eight," which designates the diameter of the bullet. Which happens to be the same as the .30-'06.
    Well, since you said something.... there really ain't no such critter as "thirty-ought-six" either.

Ought - Used to indicate duty or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions: "they ought to respect the law".

Aught - The digit 0; zero.

:-D
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Please don't take this a a flame, but it's .308, not .30-08. .30-06 means .30 cal, 1906 model. There was also a .30-03 which was the same basic case as .30-06 with a slightly longer neck and the 220 gr bullet used in the Krag, introduced in 1903.
    As far as "fun" - that's totally subjective. Do you plan on shooting a lot of car engines? More case capacity gives the .30-06 the ability to shoot heavier bullets at the same or slightly higher velocities.
    As far as accuracy - it would take a really good shot to notice any difference in the real world.
    Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat. There ARE things to be feared more than death. The fyrd is a Constitutional imperative.

I personally like the .308. The M1 grand had a few sniper models in WWII that was in the .308 caliber. Those who say it is weaker or slower then a 30-06 are lying. It shoots at just about the same to the point that you will not notice a difference. That being said for me I am far more accurate with the .308 then the .30-06 having shot both from M1s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12