30 ought 6 and 30 ought 8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 ought 6 and 30 ought 8

1. 30 ought 6 and 30 ought 8

whats the real diference between the two? i was looking into an m1 garand. and it comes in both calibers, also i wanna know what you guys think of that rifle.

Exclamation Go for the .308

Quote Originally Posted by Rht4162 View Post
    whats the real diference between the two? i was looking into an m1 garand. and it comes in both calibers, also i wanna know what you guys think of that rifle.
    .308 Winchester is dimensionally the same as 7.62 NATO. Both cartridges can be used in the same gun safely. It is still in use by most military's in the free world which means it is easy to get.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

4. so whats the diffrence between the two calibers? other than size.

Exclamation .308 vs 30-06

.308 is approx. 1/2 inch shorter than 30-06

it is about 100-200fps slower than 30-06

it is inherently more accurate than 30-06

it is much easier to find "surplus" ammo for than 30-06

it is cheaper than 30-06
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

6. ook thanks, very useful information, now the last and final question. which would be more fun? i mean yes the 8 might be more accurate but i heard a 6 could punch through a car with little trouble

Talking 7.62 Nato vs a truck

When I was in the USAF.....

we had an M-60 at every access point to our deployment bases in the middle east. It would take the engine block apart in a truck with the first three rounds or the rest of the belt was free.

Both have about the same kinetic energy so get the .308 and have a blast.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

8. ook thanks for the info, and thank you for your service

I have M1 Garands in 30-06 and I love them but I'm going to build one in 308. The reason is because 308 is just as good as the 30-06 but a lot cheaper. Less recoil and the accuracy is a little better. I agree about the M-60. Being a retired USAF Combat Arms Instructor I've fired more rounds out of the M-60 than the average Airman. It's a very devastating round and other than the weight of the M-60 it's one of my favorite weapons in the Air Force inventory.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

10. One more thing to add is that the M-1 Garrand was made in 30 - 06. I have a M-1 that I recieved as a gift it was made by Winchester in Jan of 1943 so if your goal is to buy a peice of history make sure you do the research.

I agree the 308 is a better round for all the reasons previously stated. However I would prefer a Garrand to be in 30.06 just to be true to history. My own preference.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

11. Good handloads using the right powders in the .308 with mid-range bullets (140-150gr) will outperform the '06 in velocity. They are not "slower."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast