Shouldn't Bank Tellers Be Armed? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Shouldn't Bank Tellers Be Armed?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    At one point in my civilian career I carried a guard card. My employer wanted me to carry a firearm. I asked him if he would pay my life insurance premium. His answer was predictable. "No," he said. "No," I said. That was the end of that discussion.

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052

    Who knows for sure?

    As I was once a person working with money in a business. If I was ever being robbed, even IF the BG did not show a weapon, I would still not risk my life for $7.25 an hour. Id carry the load to the guy’s car before I resisted or told him I can't comply.
    I can't say for sure what I'd do but I didn't get a CCW to turn over my worldly goods or my self respect to a criminal.

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I can't say for sure what I'd do but I didn't get a CCW to turn over my worldly goods or my self respect to a criminal.
    I didn't have a CCW.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I tend to disagree. If a robber threatens life to get property I see no reason that he should not be shot. If he doesn't threaten life to get property, there is no reason to give him any property (or money). It is this, you can't shoot someone just because he is stealing your car or whatever attitude, that encourages robbery.

    Now given the majority of bank tellers I have run into, I would probably not want them to be armed.
    If I were a bank teller, I'd be armed in case someone attacked me. I don't care about the bank. It's not my money, and the $12/hr or whatever they pay isn't worth risking one's life over. If they want the money, they can have it all. If they point a gun at me, I'll shoot back.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Unfortunately the bank would tell you that you couldn't have a gun. Good reason to not work for a bank, I suppose.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    The system used in Europe would stop bank robberies. The door is a double door with a chamber in the middle. They are bullet-proof (plastic if I remember correctly). You have to be buzzed into the bank and buzzed out of the chamber between the doors to get out of the bank. The robbers go in, but they can't go out (until the cops arrive, of course).
    I've seen that kind of setup in some Los Angeles area banks. I don't know good or bad any stats on robberies there.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Unfortunately the bank would tell you that you couldn't have a gun. Good reason to not work for a bank, I suppose.
    Good reason to not ask them in the first place. Florida law doesn't make it easy for businesses to legally prohibit carry on their premises. It would probably annoy your bank employer and they might be able to find a reason to fire you, but it wouldn't be because of carrying.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I can't say for sure what I'd do but I didn't get a CCW to turn over my worldly goods or my self respect to a criminal.
    Ditto. It took me being robbed (before I became a gun owner) to realize that. I'll guarantee that it will never happen again.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

  10. #29
    There are 2 reasons bank tellers and guards aren't armed.

    1. The money is insured.
    2. The amount of money a criminal is likely to get away with is far less than the amount the bank would pay out in legal settlements should a bullet go where it's not supposed too.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    There are 2 reasons bank tellers and guards aren't armed.

    1. The money is insured.
    2. The amount of money a criminal is likely to get away with is far less than the amount the bank would pay out in legal settlements should a bullet go where it's not supposed too.
    I'm thinking that you mean that bank guards, and not armored car guards, aren't armed. I've never seen an armored car employee unarmed. I don't buy into your reasoning 100%. If all that is required for bank guards not to be armed is the fact that the money is insured, then why are armored car employees armed?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast