Shouldn't Bank Tellers Be Armed?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shouldn't Bank Tellers Be Armed?

Shouldn't Bank Tellers Be Armed?

San Diego Bank Robbed Twice in Same Day by Two Different Bandits

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

'The Chatty Bandit,' believed responsible for nine bank holdups in Southern California.

A San Diego-area Wells Fargo bank was robbed twice on the same day by two different robbers, according to the FBI.

The thieves, nicknamed "The Hard Hat Bandit" and "The Chatty Bandit" by federal agents, held up the La Mesa, Calif., branch about three hours apart, said FBI spokeswoman April Langwell.

"The Chatty Bandit," wanted in at least nine bank robberies since March, strolled into the bank about 3 p.m. Monday, brandishing a handgun and demanding cash.

Three hours later, the Wells Fargo was hit again when "The Hard Hat Bandit" who has struck three times in the past week alone walked in with a note ordering employees to give him money.

Neither thief has been arrested.

"Chatty" is a black male between the ages of 20 and 30 who is 6 feet, 1 inch tall and weighs roughly 170 pounds, Langwell told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

"Hard Hat," who wore his characteristic construction head gear, is said to be a white male in his mid-20s who is about 6 feet, 2 inches tall and of thin, lanky build, the paper said.

Those with any information are asked to call the FBI in San Diego.

Click here for surveillance photos and more from the Union-Tribune.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Might be a good idea.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

The bank is in PRCA, so it's unlikely that they will allow the tellers to be armed. Bank tellers are working with money, which can be replaced, hence why they have insurance. If they are allowed to be armed, they should use the firearms only to protect life, not defend property.

In other states where CC is legal, I feel that citizens who have proper training should be able to CC on the job. Few exceptions would be if they work in areas that are "secure" or "sterile", and other citizens aren't able to carry (like the parts of airports and court houses). I do strongly feel that if ANYONE wants to carry, they should have proper training to safely handle the firearm, and so they will be aware of the law and when it's legal to use deadly force.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    The bank is in PRCA, so it's unlikely that they will allow the tellers to be armed. Bank tellers are working with money, which can be replaced, hence why they have insurance. If they are allowed to be armed, they should use the firearms only to protect life, not defend property.

In other states where CC is legal, I feel that citizens who have proper training should be able to CC on the job. Few exceptions would be if they work in areas that are "secure" or "sterile", and other citizens aren't able to carry (like the parts of airports and court houses). I do strongly feel that if ANYONE wants to carry, they should have proper training to safely handle the firearm, and so they will be aware of the law and when it's legal to use deadly force.

gf
    So true. That's the way I feel about my wallet, my watch, etc., they are only things and they can be replaced. but don't let anyone touch me or mine in or out of my house or vehicle or your or yours, etc. They WILL be sorry!

I'd be finding a new job
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

In addition to arming the tellers, more banks should do what the banks around here do, and that's install bulletproof glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I'd be finding a new job
    +1 to that! But being armed wouldn't hurt. I'm with you guys about not getting into a shootout over property but if the robbery went bad I'd like to be able to defend myself.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Unhappy

I'm really surprised that all banks don't have bullet-proof glass, floor-to-ceiling if need be. I guess that would make too much sense. Another thought, does that type of glass protect against only low-velocity bullets or also against high-powered rifles or other types of explosives? (Patricia Hearst and the SLA, as well as the North Hollywood shootout, come to mind.)

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I'm really surprised that all banks don't have bullet-proof glass, floor-to-ceiling if need be. I guess that would make too much sense. Another thought, does that type of glass protect against only low-velocity bullets or also against high-powered rifles or other types of explosives? (Patricia Hearst and the SLA, as well as the North Hollywood shootout, come to mind.)

I know the glass at the range I shot at is rated for everything up to and including 50 BMG. That stuff is about 2" thick. I doubt it would hold up to to many steel core rounds. I'm sure it comes in different ratings. I'm going to say the biggest reason the banks don't install it has to do with the price. The range officer mentioned one time just the small section between the shooting lanes cost 10 or 15 grand.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Here in PRHI several banks have video screens, where on teller can help 3 or 4 customers at a time. It's kind of wierd using the telephone (like the one they have in the movies for prison visitations), talkng ro a face on the television. Part of the reason behind the system was cost (only need to hire 1 teller instead of 3 or 4), and safety (hard to rob a televison). In any case, I'm sure it's a lot less expensive than ballistic glass.

gf
    Last edited by Glock Fan; 10-28-2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: fixed grammatical error
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast