I am I mentally prepared to defend myself - Page 4

View Poll Results: Are you mentally prepared to shoot in self defense

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kill them all and let God sort them out

10 7.63%
  • Trained and ready no regrets

32 24.43%
  • I am ready and trained but do not relish the thought nor do I look forward to it

87 66.41%
  • Have not really thought it through but I am armed for protection

2 1.53%
  • I can't take the life of another

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I am I mentally prepared to defend myself

1. Financial cost!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. SIG View Post
    Oh yes, I'm mentally prepared... but financially?
    I remember attending a street survival training were the aftermath of any shooting were discussed and one of the points they made is no matter how justified the shooting you can expect it to cost at least $10,000 in attorney fees, probably more with inflation.

gpbarth Guest
    Contrary to the beliefs of some, I did not get a carry permit so I could walk the streets looking for bad guys to terminate. And I am sure that if it came down to a shoot-out, although I would regret killing someone, it's me or him, and hopefully it ain't gonna be me. You have to do what is necessary, and I will defend to the death myself, my wife and family, and my home.

4. I have not and don't feel that I would actively seek someone out to take their life... with that in mind if it is choice between their funeral or mine, I will do everything in my power to make it sure it is theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky Girl View Post
    I was thinking a bit about Good Samaritan Laws as I was writing my earlier post. In Washington (to my understanding) the GSL doesn't compel anyone to act - even if it's your family member - but it can protect someone from liability if they choose to act, as long as they act with good intenttion AND stay within the realm of their training. For instance, under the GSL, I would be protected from liability if I accidentally broke someone's rib while perfomring CPR because I'm trained to perform CPR. If I tried to perform a tracheotomy on someone, I would be way outside my realm of training and could absolutely be sued.

Now that you've brought up GSL, I wonder how a person's firearms training would factor into a situation like a mall shooting. If you have never had any formal firearms training, could you be held civilly liable for attempting to shoot a bad guy because you are outside of your realm of training? For that matter, what is considered "training?" If you grew up shooting but have never taken a class, are you "trained'?
    GSLs apply to medical personnel or a civilian rendering basic first aid. In the civilian case once CPR is started, they are obligated to continue until relieved or the subject is pronounced deceased. In quite a few States, certified or licensed medical personnel are required by the State certifying or licensing them to intervene in their certified or licensed capacity as a condition of maintaining their certification or license. In other cases it's a matter of employer policy if they are employed in a public safety capacity. I don't know of any case where they apply to a civilian who has a CCW being required to intervene. However you may be criminally liable under codes, laws or statutes which may fall under "depraved indifference to human life" if you fail to intervene by at least summoning assistance. You could be held criminally liable if you don't. It's not likely, but I could see an aspiring DA or assistant DA using a tragedy as leverage to get re-elected or to get catapulted to a higher office.

We live in a litigation makes right society. Unless the incident occurs in a jurisdiction with a strong castle doctrine or stand your ground law (i.e. FL, MO or TX), expect to be sued by the subject you shot or their estate for personal injury or wrongful death even if it was a clean defensive shooting. Also keep in mind that you may not know the players of a 3rd party incident so you're often better off not intervening or using a tactic I have mentioned before in other threads and during my classes to further assess who the players are.

In all defensive shootings where the subject you shot has expired you are the subject of a homicide investigation.

In all cases, you are liable for every round that comes out of your firearm. If it does not hit or goes through the intended target you are liable for any and all damage, death or injury caused by that round.

Also keep in mind that you're in WA state where no training is required to be issued a CPL. WA puts a higher weight on the mental health and criminal background of the CPL holder than their training and skills.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

I have not had any formal training other than the class for basic gun safety required to get a CCW in my state. I have owned guns most of my life and know how to use them. I try to avoid trouble when I can but if there is no other way then I will deal with it with what ever it take. Since I decided to carry a gun, I have tried to learn every thing I can about the law and how to defend myself and my family. I have given this a lot of thought and I will do what has to be done.

Are we ready for self defense?

Isn't there another option? i.e. some mental prep, carrying daily, we THINK we are ready to do the deed should it be necessary (but who knows until it's time?)...

UPANCHOR

"IN GOD WE TRUST", but it still makes sense to be in Condition Yellow...

In an ideal world, I would not be carrying a gun. However, since the world in which I live is not an ideal place, I'm going to do whatever I can to maximize my chances of survival in it.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Question Decision

I really was wanting to choose trained and ready, just because for the past 5 years I've trained my soldiers and myself for worst situations. But i guess if it was to happen in america it might be different for me not sure really.

Quote Originally Posted by StrykerPete321 View Post
    I really was wanting to choose trained and ready, just because for the past 5 years I've trained my soldiers and myself for worst situations. But i guess if it was to happen in america it might be different for me not sure really.
    Welcome to USA Carry, StrykerPete321. Thank you for your service to this country.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234