Add this to my defense plans - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Add this to my defense plans

1. We had a large dobby really good dog. He would wait for our geese to fuss before barking.

I forget where I saw it since it has been a few years, but I read somewhere that when asked criminals said they were more afraid of small dogs because they were harder to get off of them.

When I owned my store, Caesar, a pit, was our guard dog... but only while we there.

My dad told me a story. When he was younger he opened a dog grooming business with some friends, and they got a dobberman as a guard dog. Well, they went in one day to find they'd been cleaned out and found a ransom note for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckLead View Post
    My dad told me a story. When he was younger he opened a dog grooming business with some friends, and they got a dobberman as a guard dog. Well, they went in one day to find they'd been cleaned out and found a ransom note for the dog.
    Great one! :D

One would assume they didn't bother to pay the ransom...
    Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.

-Mark Twain

He never told me. I figure he didn't. LOL!

In spite of their fearsome reputation, Dobies can be incredibly sweet. I found 2 of 'em running around loose many years ago when I returned home from work. I've never been afraid of dogs but I was worried that these two might be in jeopardy from the heavy traffic area, so I hunkered down and called to them. They came running over and got their lovin' until someone came for them...only to tell me they were the guard dogs for the gas station on the corner!
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

I had a neighbor who had one as a guard dog of his apartment building. It was a sweet dog, but got right down to business when it needed to. The bonus for this one, though, was that people didn't think it was a dobie. The owner left the ears and tail intact.

8. I raised 3 kids with my dob and he sleep at my wifes feet . I would have another if it was like him. Jack Russel for now,who thinks he is a rotwiler.

Our recent family addition

is a 3yr old female Dobie. Renamed her Schatzi...

We also have a just recently turned 10yr old Shepard... she came to us a 6mos of age, and had proven to be one of the best dogs ever. But she is getting up in years, in fact FL seems harder on dogs than other areas of the world..especially the larger breeds...In fact we have never had one get past age 9.

We decided that we would like to get a companion in the household for our Gretchen, and it has proven to be a real good move... Now Gretch has a buddy, and they are very loving and playful with one another. Gretch's appetite has increased, and she's a lot more active then she has been in a long time.

Schatzi recently had her first vet check, and seems in real good health... so it looks like she's going to be a keeper...

Before Gretch, we had a Ridgeback that we raised from 8 weeks...when she died at 9 years from cancer, I was more at a loss then I could believe... Then Gretch came along and filled that void... Now When Gretch has to leave us, at least we won't be at such a loss with Schatzi already here.

Dobies are wonderful dogs...also very intelligent, and easy to work with...quick to learn, and very loyal and protective. We got her as a rescue dog, and I'm so happy to have her.

I guess I should have posted this in the 'pets?' thread, but I don't really consider my dogs as 'pets', more like members of the family...

flc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12