Armed at the Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armed at the Gun Shop

Armed at the Gun Shop

Could someone explain this to me:

There are about 6 gun shops in my area that I frequent (one more I could but the owners are a couple of putz' ). Each one of them has a LARGE sign at the front, even those with ranges, that you see before you enter, that say No Loaded Weapons Allowed On The Premises (or some very similar variant).

Now, gun shops should be a haven for second amendment rights. They should be a place where armed people are welcomed. If I have a CCP, or live in an open carry state, I would expect gun shop owners to support that right.

We have all heard, if just one law abiding citizen had been armed this disaster or that disaster could have been averted. It seems a bit, actually a lot, hypocritical.
    \

I totally agree. None of the ones I frequent have prohibited carry. There was one about an hour away I went to that had such a sign. I went back with my wife about a year later looking for something special. They had removed the sign. There is another one in that same area that says all loaded firearms must remain holstered. I don't have a problem with that.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

It sometimes boils down to insurance and district laws. I spoke to one owner that moved from the city limits into the county (originally because of lower rent) and the laws were a little more lenient. However he said his insurance requirements were no loaded weapons.

5. It is almost always a safety issue. There are a lot of people who are unaware of sight lines and the last thing an owner wants is an accidental shooting due to a loaded weapon being handled in his shop. Two of the large sporting goods stores here have the loaded gun must stay in the holster approach and the gun shops require the weapon to be unloaded.

The gun store from which I purchase most of my weapons briefly had one of those signs posted, but took it down not long after it was first posted. But, I agree with you; a no guns allowed sign in a gun store makes no sense to me.

There are some shop's in My area too, but now that You mention it, I don't remember seeing Any signs not allowing loaded (OR Similiar) weapons inside their store/s. I'll have to check on that and get back atcha! S&WM&P40, can You chime in on this; is it a NH thing OR do You have signs on your end of the state?
    Mudpuppy, WELCOME to the Forum......incase I didn't welcome You earlier.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Hey Sambo, good to see you again. bryarush welcome to the forums ( little late seeing as how this is your 7th post) but better late then never. I have about five around me i really have only been to like 3 of them as i like them better then the rest. At one of them closer to me ( about 15 mins) there is a sign on the door that reads ( cant remember it word for word) All guns must be unload or in a case/holster. Now what this sign is for and means is for guns you are bringing in to sell. I have talked with the owners before and they said as long as it's in a holster it's fine. All the other ones have no such sign one being a Class 3 dealer (or NFA dealer). I will call them all today in a few mins to check and post here. As this seems like a good topic to keep running. So we can post gun stores that you can carry your CC weapon loaded on it in the store. Just post the store name,state and any other information you want other people to know.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

I don't think they really care if you're carrying concealed. A lot of people visiting gun stores don't know much about guns and especially gun safety. Some of them are bringing their guns in to find a holster that fits or get an accessory for it or to get it worked on. A sign saying that guns should be unloaded makes a lot of sense from a safety standpoint. I'll bet if you ask any gun store owner, they'll say they don't mind if you are carrying concealed.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    I don't think they really care if you're carrying concealed. A lot of people visiting gun stores don't know much about guns and especially gun safety. Some of them are bringing their guns in to find a holster that fits or get an accessory for it or to get it worked on. A sign saying that guns should be unloaded makes a lot of sense from a safety standpoint. I'll bet if you ask any gun store owner, they'll say they don't mind if you are carrying concealed.
    You are correct on that. I've seen a few signs around here and they are for people bringing in firearms for trade or repair.

One question bryarush. Are the signs they have in the window a legal sign according to your state laws? The ones I've seen around here are not legal. If they are not then I'd carry and not worry about it.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

11. IDK if they meet the legal requirement, I'd have to check. Generally, I avoid places that prohibit CC whether or not their sign meets the requirement. I have asked a couple of them, and it was "policy" is the best answer I got. I'm only really close to one of these dealers and I ignore the sign and keep my pistol in my purse. Most often I'm there browsing for long periods with the boys, and I even let them keep my purse behind the counter so I don't have to lug it around.

I think its a bit absurd that they do it, regardless of specifically why. Partic if they are doing to discourage potentially careless individuals, as I'm not sure they should have a gun to begin with. Oi!
    \

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast