Firearm Purchases Are Stimulating The Economy - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firearm Purchases Are Stimulating The Economy

A review of a few quotes might be in order. There are of course many more.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams,

When firearms go, all goes - we need them every hour. -- George Washington.

Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed. -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. --- Thomas Jefferson in "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm . . . is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege. -- Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world, as well as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them. -- Thomas Paine, Writings of Thomas Paine at 56 (1894)

God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it. -- Daniel Webster, in a speech on 3 June, 1834

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. -- Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -- George Washington

without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms. -- Andrew Ford
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

3. Buy American. There are lots of great guns manufactured in the US. Guns are one of the few things that are actually still made in the US. Take a look at Ruger, Kahr, S&W, Springfield 1911, Mossberg.

Not only are we providing jobs to Americans, but if we don't buy American, soon guns (like most other things) will be Made in China and quality will be out the window.
    If you need a helping hand, look down your arm.--my Uncle Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 1911codger View Post
    Buy American. There are lots of great guns manufactured in the US. Guns are one of the few things that are actually still made in the US. Take a look at Ruger, Kahr, S&W, Springfield 1911, Mossberg.

Not only are we providing jobs to Americans, but if we don't buy American, soon guns (like most other things) will be Made in China and quality will be out the window.
    Nothing wrong with guns being made in China. Norinco makes and excellent AK-47 as well as 1911. As for Korea, Daewoo made one hell of a AR-15.

I won't buy a gun simply because it's made in the U.S. There are several determining factors when purchasing a firearm. I happen to like my Ruger hunting rifle, but don't like the Ruger pistols. I like my Mossberg shotgun, and will probably be picking up another in the next couple of months. I do have an issue with companies like "Colt" and "S&W" due to the "anti-citizen" deals they made with the feds.

I am looking into purchasing a "Hi-Point" in either 9mm or .40 s&w just for the sake of having a U.S. made firearm for under $200.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by 1911codger View Post
    Buy American. There are lots of great guns manufactured in the US. Guns are one of the few things that are actually still made in the US. Take a look at Ruger, Kahr, S&W, Springfield 1911, Mossberg.

The saying, "Buy American" means little. The US and the world have become an integrated economy and marketplace. The trying times on Wall Street bear that out when the reverberations are felt around the world. Too, many items are made elsewhere that we might normally associate with "being manufactured in America." My Chevy Silverado 1-ton Dually pickup truck was made in Canada. My Chevy LUV truck was manufactured in Japan and assembled here in the USA. Hondas and Toyotas are both manufactured here in the mainland. I'm supposing that it is the same thing with pistols or other firearms as it is with many electronics. Quality is often there where it once wasn't. Don't mistake where something is made with keeping the economy, here at home or even abroad, afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Nothing wrong with guns being made in China. Norinco makes and excellent AK-47 as well as 1911. As for Korea, Daewoo made one hell of a AR-15.

I won't buy a gun simply because it's made in the U.S. There are several determining factors when purchasing a firearm. I happen to like my Ruger hunting rifle, but don't like the Ruger pistols. I like my Mossberg shotgun, and will probably be picking up another in the next couple of months. I do have an issue with companies like "Colt" and "S&W" due to the "anti-citizen" deals they made with the feds.

I am looking into purchasing a "Hi-Point" in either 9mm or .40 s&w just for the sake of having a U.S. made firearm for under $200.

gf
    +1. My main carry gun is an HK. My other auto's are Walther, Sig and Glock. As far as revolvers all of them are Colt or Smith. My main concern when it comes to firearms is to get the very best I can. There are areas and things I might scrimp on. Firearms is not one of them.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

7. Firearm purchases

Great job of research, HK4U. I have done my part this month. First, I purchased a Springfield XD-45 to replace the old Firestar M-45 for which I can no longer buy parts or even get an owner's manual. Today, I began the process to purchase a Ruger 10-22 at Wal*Mart. Due to the number of people puchasing guns, the process for the background check is experiencing delays. Last time I purchased a gun, the whole procedure took about fifteen minutes and I walked out of the store with my gun. When I purchased my Springfield, the background check was delayed by 24 hours due to heavy traffic. They told me at W*M that it could take up to three days for the background check to come back. To the guy who was talking about American made guns and included the Springfield 1911, examine the seal of Springfield Armory closely. You will see the word 'Croatia' quite clearly. It is still a fantastic weapon and has a lifetime gurantee. Don't feel singled out if you go to buy a gun and it takes a day or two, the staff doing the background checks is swamped since Osama, oops, Obama was elected.

Don't Blame Me, I Voted McCain!
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

What I'm curious about is the percentage of these sales that are by first time buyers/owners. This interests me because, while every gun sale is a good thing, only sales to first time buyers/owners increases the number of gun owners in this country, and thus, increases our strength in numbers.

I know of at least a dozen first time gun buyers here in PRHI (former students). There will be at least a dozen more by next weekend.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I've done my part. I just ordered 4 AR lowers. But even better is I finally got two of my friends into guns again. One of them bought an AR and an HK USP last week along with a bunch of other stuff for about $3800. Then we went back a couple days later and he bought us 3 cases of .223 ammo, $1500. He's like Luke, what kind of hobby did you get me addicted to!

And I have to say, we went to Shoot Straight in Tampa yesterday to pick his guns up and shoot. We got there at 10:10AM and they open at 10AM. I had to park all the way in the back. I've never seen that store so busy. And I've been there about 4-5 times this past week and each time I see more and more firearms missing off the walls.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    The saying, "Buy American" means little. The US and the world have become an integrated economy and marketplace. The trying times on Wall Street bear that out when the reverberations are felt around the world. Too, many items are made elsewhere that we might normally associate with "being manufactured in America." My Chevy Silverado 1-ton Dually pickup truck was made in Canada. My Chevy LUV truck was manufactured in Japan and assembled here in the USA. Hondas and Toyotas are both manufactured here in the mainland. I'm supposing that it is the same thing with pistols or other firearms as it is with many electronics. Quality is often there where it once wasn't. Don't mistake where something is made with keeping the economy, here at home or even abroad, afloat.
    True. Just one example is Heckler & Koch with a factory in Georgia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast