Reminder: Treat EVERY Gun Like it's Loaded
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reminder: Treat EVERY Gun Like it's Loaded

Reminder: Treat EVERY Gun Like it's Loaded

ksl.com - Teen dies in prop pistol accident

Teen dies in prop pistol accident
    November 15th, 2008 @ 11:59pm
    (KSL News) A teenager died after he was injured by a blank-firing prop pistol at a St. George high school preparing for a play.

Captain Bruce Graham of the St. George Police Department said in a news release that Desert Hills High School in Bloomington Hills was preparing for the play "Oklahoma!" and setting up all the required props. Around 6:20, a loud noise was heard in the sound booth area above the stage.

Police say a 17-year-old boy apparently was holding a blank-firing prop pistol when it discharged. Graham told the Deseret News that even though prop pistols don't fire a projectile, they still emit energy.

The teen was taken to Dixie Regional Medical Center. The Spectrum reports he died while medical personnel prepared to airlift him to another hospital.

Police continue to investigate the incident. The school canceled the showing of the play after the accident occurred.
    Two of my favorite things, theater and firearms. A tragic reminder that EVERY GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED.

That is very unfortunate. Yes treat every gun like it is loaded.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Very sad. I feel sorry for his family.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I'm wondering who left the gun where the kid could easily accessible, and if that person (or persons) will be facing negligence charges.

Blanks can kill. It's happened before. Actor Jon-Erik Hexum in Mexico put one to his head and pulled the trigger. That close the wad can penetrate without any problems. Plus the pressure has to go somewhere. RU|Actor killed filming movie supposedly with blank bullets
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Story update:

A 15-year-old St. George high school student is dead, killed by a gun used in a school musical. The gun was loaded with blanks, and was being used for sound effects.

Police say Tucker Thayer was setting up for the musical at Desert Hills High School when the gunshot rang out. He was found lying on the ground with severe head injuries.

Officers are still investigating how this happened. Thayer's parents didn't want to talk on camera, but they told us a real gun should not have been allowed in the school.

Thayer was part of the tech crew for the high school's production of "Oklahoma!" Friends say he was proud of his role.

"In fact, that's all he was talking about, that he was part of the production," Thayer's neighbor, Brett Jensen, said.

Thayer was by the stage Saturday night, preparing for the show. Police say other students nearby heard a loud bang, but no one saw what happened. Investigators say a gun, loaded with blanks, discharged.

"The gases, the pressure that it would build up, such a close proximity where the gun was pointed at the individual's head, caused the injury," explained St. George police Sgt. James Van Fleet.

Police say the school allowed the production crew to use the gun for sound effects during the musical. "It was determined that a responsible adult would be supervising the use of the weapon at all times," Van Fleet said.

Thayer's family says the teen knew a lot about guns. He was a certified range instructor for the Boy Scouts. But his parents don't think he knew the dangers of blanks.

"He had a heart of gold, and he would do anything for you; and if you asked him for help, he'd bend over backwards to get it done," Jensen said.

Police are investigating whether there was enough supervision.

Thayer's family says the teen knew a lot about guns. He was a certified range instructor for the Boy Scouts. But his parents don't think he knew the dangers of blanks.
    It's details like this that confuse people and provide more fuel for the antis.

A good rule of thumb is if anything even looks like or functions like a gun - Airsoft, a blue gun, a crossbow, a flare gun, or a civil war cannon - to treat it like it's a loaded pistol with one in the pipe. There's far too many news reports about negligent shootings to not treat gun-shaped objects with the utmost respect, and it's a good example for everyone else.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

My 4 year old isn't allowed to play with anything that resembles a gun. His "water guns" don't resemble firearms. He's got a banana, a boat, a camera and a rocket ship that "squirts" water. He's only 4 and knows that anything that "shoots" is "dangerous". He has a couple of very weak airsoft and suction cup dart guns. These guns are locked up in his own "gun safe" (Pelican case) and literally locked up (he has the key) when not in use.

It's very important to teach childern how to properly use firearms. One day his cousin left a realistic looking "toy" gun at our house. When he discovered the "gun", he immediately went looking for me and showed me where the "gun" was. (seems like the Eddie Eagle lessons worked). His aunty and uncle were shocked that he did exactly as he was supposed to. Once I rendered the toy gun "safe", he asked his cousin to put it away properly.

I wish more parents would take the time to teach their children how to handle firearms properly and with respect. I'm doing everything in my power to ensure that my son doesn't end up becoming a statistic. I hope his good habits rub off on his cousins.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Prayer out to the Families and Friends.

(All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

It is very important to teach children firearm safety at a young age.

I feel bad for this teenager, Prayers to him and his family.

On a side note,

I went to the range this weekend and was APAULD at this guy’s firearm safety. He was showing me his .22 caliber Ruger Mark II because I am interested in getting one. While he was showing me his firearm, the muzzle was pointed right at my gut. I asked the guy nicely to please point his muzzle downrange. His reply was "its unloaded I am out of ammo" my response was "I understand, however it doesn't matter, treat every firearm as if it were loaded". His face was priceless. I was shocked. Point being, firearm safety is a must.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast