Gun mom looks to sue sheriff - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gun mom looks to sue sheriff

I would! If I have the right to open carry in a place and I choose to then everyone can just get over it. If you don't exercise your right then you can loose it! If I hurt someones "feelings" because I have a firearm on my hip, so be it. The only way to override the anti-gun indoctrination is to prove them wrong, that law abiding citizens can carry safely everywhere.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by ecocks View Post
    And it will always draw attention until the right is exercised enough to be clearly understood by the citizenry.

There are towns and areas where open carry is common and easily accepted. How did it get that way?

Most of us here dream of living in 2A environments like Alaska and Vermont. Until people like this Sheriff and (apparently) others in the community understand that it is 1. legal and 2. safe, they are going to be skittish when someone like her shows up.

It would be interesting to get a half-dozen people with out-of-state, but still recognized, permits to open carry in the vicinity of the Sheriff and see what his reaction is to someone with a permit he cannot revoke.

If that is realized then it would be clear that his actions towards the woman were arbitrary. At least to me.

As for prudence, if a crazed gunman opens up on the soccer match and her gun is locked in her vehicle and inaccesible, how prudent does she seem to be then?

Should I prudently not wear my weapon when in the presence of my mother-in-law? Suppose while she is visiting Santa Claus comes to the door and opens fire? Have I been prudent in that case?

When flying through NY from one RTC state to another, should you prudently not bring your firearm? If the flight is delayed and you are arrested for violating NY law due to being forced to take possession of your baggage, how prudent were you?

Aside: Tatt - don't take this as an argument. It's a discussion of comments and questions.
    My answer to the prudence in the case of the soccer match and mother and law is to conceal. As for flying through NYC, I can't really say, although in that case, that's not really an issue that is carry-related.

All I'm saying is that certain social situations require prudence; I'm almost certain none of you would open carry to a job interview or on university property.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I would! If I have the right to open carry in a place and I choose to then everyone can just get over it. If you don't exercise your right then you can loose it! If I hurt someones "feelings" because I have a firearm on my hip, so be it. The only way to override the anti-gun indoctrination is to prove them wrong, that law abiding citizens can carry safely everywhere.
    My neighbors get "hurt feelings" all the time. What hurts more is when they call the police, they respond and check out my firearm and determine that I'm doing nothing illegal (holstered on your own property is perfectly legal). There have been couple of times where I provide the police with surveillance footage to prove that I wasn't "brandishing" and my firearm was holstered the entire time. It was especially nice when the officers noticed my neighbor's children committing illegal acts in the background and my surveillance video was used against them. If they would have simply kept to themselves and refrained from sticking their nose in my business, there wouldn't have been any problems.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Wish this was over beers or bottomless coffee at Denny's. (Mmmmmm, waffles.....sorry)

If it was a job interview at Blackwater or DynaCorp yes, I very well might decide to open carry if the law at the interview location allowed it. If your mother-in-law absolutely forbade you to have a gun on you in her presence (even in your own home) and you were discovered to be wearing one anyway, then I absolutely judge that as imprudent. Unless of course, you told her that you could care less what she wanted and she needed to understand that you were going to be carrying all the time anyway. Finally, if you can carry at both ends of a trip but are in danger of being arrested if your flight is delayed in NY (which has happened and is proceeding through the court system) then will you be "prudent" and leave it at home or will you take a gun anyway?

The point is that "prudent" is very difficult to determine. What is prudent for one person is not necessarily prudent for others.

She did not break the law, was apparently not being negligent and was exercising her rights. That is the point of her case.

Waffles.........
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Re: University Property

Only because it is illegal almost everywhere.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

The BIGGER ISSUE

What I really don't understand about this whole question is why so many of you who carry are against this immdediately.

It is really no different than those who, because they are scared of guns and their own insecurities, want to take them from us. Open carry, where legal, is well, LEGAL. If YOU don't want to, then don't. Just know that the Wal-Mart or Best Buy Manager who is screaming about, " A Man With a Gun!" when your jacket hikes up while picking up a box is NEVER going to understand the law unless it happens enough times that it becomes common knowledge that it is not illegal or a danger to him or his customers.
    Last edited by ecocks; 01-01-2009 at 01:23 PM.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Another way to put it is that I've never heard of a BG walking into an establishment with a holstered gun. Most times the handgun is tucked in a waistband or even in a pants/jacket pocket.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Again, even though it's her right to carry however she chooses, you guys should know that prudence should guide that decision every once in a while. How many of you would open carry at a place, where, although technically not illegal, you know would draw lots of unwanted attention to yourself? I wouldn't.
    Y'mean like open carry into a bank? Yikes! It might be well within our rights to do so but that is one place I'll not open carry for any reason. Neither would I yell, "Fire!" in a theater. I don't believe that this gal was doing anything close to that, but I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure.

That said, and the following experience is not quite the same situation, yet two years ago, when my first, late husband was hospitalized and when he was first hooked up to the automatic electric blood pressure monitor, and the nurse had walked behind the curtain and to the other patient in the room, I said something quite loudly and jokingly to the effect, "70 over 20!?" As soon as I heard her come-a-running I realized the error of my joking ways. I think that was NOT the prudent thing to do! Yes, sometimes the things that we do need to be balanced with prudence, moderation. Sometimes, but not always, must we take others into account.
    Last edited by gdcleanfun; 01-01-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Here in Texas the open carry may be voted on soon. I hope it passes however I will for the most part still carry concealed. For me, I like to draw as little attention as I can to myself for a number of reasons. As I have said before high on the list of reasons is the fact that if I am somewhere and an active shooter/shooters goes to work I would rather not be the first target. I feel the stealth mode is to my advantage.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Here in Texas the open carry may be voted on soon. I hope it passes however I will for the most part still carry concealed. For me, I like to draw as little attention as I can to myself for a number of reasons. As I have said before high on the list of reasons is the fact that if I am somewhere and an active shooter/shooters goes to work I would rather not be the first target. I feel the stealth mode is to my advantage.
    Can I just ask what you would think about the following scenario?

Picture standing in line at the bank along with 5-6 other customers, 2-3 tellers and a couple of customer service staff at desks in the lobby. Half of you with holstered sidearms. A guy comes in to scope the bank out before he and his buddy outside walk in to rob the place. Do you think he's going to rob THAT bank or head somewhere they won't have to deal with 6 armed customers THEN risk police?

Same situation but you and MAYBE 5 others are carrying concealed. Guy comes in, looks over the place and decides....what?

Ask yourself why so few gun stores have business time armed robberies versus banks or convenience stores?
    Last edited by ecocks; 01-01-2009 at 03:22 PM.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast