I have my CCW, yet, I bought another pistol...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have my CCW, yet, I bought another pistol...

Question I have my CCW, yet, I bought another pistol...

Okay, so by now we all know that my instructor was not up to snuff. That said, and if I remember correctly, but what he taught us maybe incorrect, but, he told us that here in Nevada that we qualified with certain semi-automatic firearms and those are the firearms that are listed on our ccw's, so then what do I do now that I've bought other pistols and I want to include them on my ccw. What do I have to do to get them listed? Do I and my hubby have to take the class again? Do we have to apply again at the sheriff's office with the paperwork and the $$$? I hesitate to call our instructor, he'd probably steer us wrong, again. I'm hoping that someone here is a Nevada instructor. I think I recall that maybe GF is, maybe some others, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

If it was issued by the Sheriff's office then I'd think all you have to do is go there and have them add it to your permit. I'd call them and ask. It's very unlikely you would have to take another class.

EDIT: After reading on the Nevada forum it looks like you have to qualify with the new weapon then they will add it to your permit. Read this post http://www.usacarry.com/forums/nevad...html#post25524 it has some great info in it.
    Last edited by Red Hat; 11-19-2008 at 01:04 AM.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    If it was issued by the Sheriff's office then I'd think all you have to do is go there and have them add it to your permit. I'd call them and ask. It's very unlikely you would have to take another class.

EDIT: After reading on the Nevada forum it looks like you have to qualify with the new weapon then they will add it to your permit. Read this post http://www.usacarry.com/forums/nevad...html#post25524 it has some great info in it.
    I did read that one, thanks, Red Hat. But seeing as how my situation is just a little bit different I think it's a good idea you have that I call the sheriff's office. Thx!

Best would be to PM "Netentity" I believe he's a NV and UT Instructor. I took the NV class, and at the time that I took my class, you had to qualify with each firearm you wanted listed on your permit. As of January of this year, the law changed slightly to include "any revolver", but semi-auto pistols still need to be listed individually from what I understand.

I'm sure Netentity would be able to clear things up.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Yes, and thx GF, that's my understanding, but I'm wondering if I need to go thru the whole course again, which mean I'd have to pay the fee again, then pay the sheriff's office again. I guess that's what I need to check on.
    Last edited by gdcleanfun; 11-19-2008 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Yes,and thx GF, that's my understanding, but I'm wondering if I need to go thru the whole course again, which mean I'd have to pay the fee again, then pay the sheriff's office again. I guess that's what I need to check on.
    Check out the site: The Gun Store, Inc. and click on the "Concealed Firearm" link on the left side of their homepage. You'll have to pay $25 for the firearms certification. It looks like the only fee paid is to the instructor at the gun range. Once you get the qualifiacaton form, you will take it to the place where you got your CFP and they'll add it to your permit. They may charge you the "duplicate license fee" if you're not adding it at the time you renew your permit.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

If you have not found an answer to satisfy your question Lukem would know. He used to run the Nevadacarry site before he started usacarry.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Nope, not yet, and thx. I did look on the site that GF provided but my specific question is not answered there either.

I am going through this right now, as I have 4 new firearms to add. The instructor I had was very knowledgeable about the process. What you are doing is an add-on. In the presences of a licensed instructor, you need to qualify with your new firearm. I went on Saturday to do mine, shot my 30 rounds of ammo per firearm, and got my signed add-on document. On Friday, I will take it to the sheriff's department and they will add the new firearms while I wait. It costs $15 per change at the sheriff's office. Here is a reference to my instructor's website that explains the process. I will let you know how it goes and if there is anything that was left out.

Quote Originally Posted by mtndwell View Post
    I am going through this right now, as I have 4 new firearms to add. The instructor I had was very knowledgeable about the process. What you are doing is an add-on. In the presences of a licensed instructor, you need to qualify with your new firearm. I went on Saturday to do mine, shot my 30 rounds of ammo per firearm, and got my signed add-on document. On Friday, I will take it to the sheriff's department and they will add the new firearms while I wait. It costs $15 per change at the sheriff's office. Here is a reference to my instructor's website that explains the process. I will let you know how it goes and if there is anything that was left out.
    Great info, great web site reference, thanks. I hope it works the same in Nye county as it does in Washoe county. $15 is certainly affordable for a change on the cc card, especially if more than one firearm is added at the same time. Now I just have to find a different, local instructor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast