Oregon Man Shot by Dog During Hunting Trip - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oregon Man Shot by Dog During Hunting Trip

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    Limpy is lucky; he could be dead like a lot of other careless people. Back when I was in high school, there was a guy in his mid-30s from Georgia who just started going to a martial arts school that I was a part of. Like 80% of everyone else, he was into hunting. One night at class, our instructor told us that he had had a (highly preventable, and extremely negligent) accident. As far as anyone could tell, he was climbing a tree stand and put his loaded shotgun, stock first - ie, muzzle pointed towards his face - onto the platform. Apparently he got it caught on something and it discharged. He was missing for several days until someone found him lying on the ground with his head blown off and the shotgun was still on the stand.

That's a prime candidate for a "Darwin Award".

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

gf
    Except that now he will never evolve. I know, I know, I'm deranged!

Most of the "Darwin Award" winners don't .

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

gf
    That's true for sure.

It's weird though...I had worked with this guy in situations that involved responsible control. He never seemed careless or kicked me in the head or anything. It was bizarre to hear someone who you thought had it together making such a terrible error. I wanted to ask him, "WTF were you thinking?" except he wasn't around to answer. Some people had suggested it might even have been suicide, except that it looked so much like an accident.

I guess that just goes to show, you never know who can be completely careless with a firearm. It's best to not just assume that people are knowledgeable, until they prove otherwise. I'm glad I never went shooting with him or Limpy.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    That's true for sure.

It's weird though...I had worked with this guy in situations that involved responsible control. He never seemed careless or kicked me in the head or anything. It was bizarre to hear someone who you thought had it together making such a terrible error. I wanted to ask him, "WTF were you thinking?" except he wasn't around to answer. Some people had suggested it might even have been suicide, except that it looked so much like an accident.

I guess that just goes to show, you never know who can be completely careless with a firearm. It's best to not just assume that people are knowledgeable, until they prove otherwise. I'm glad I never went shooting with him or Limpy.
    It's unfortunate, but I've investigated "hunting accidents" that have been staged to cover up a "suicide". Most life insurance policies don't pay out in the event of a "suicide", so what some crafty folks do is make it appear to be some sort of "hunting accident". This not only gives hunters a bad name, but also gives the "anti" folks more reasons to restrict firearms and hunting. If you haven't already figured it out, I'm an avid hunter and very "pro 2A". I especially dislike it when folks kill themselves, but dislike it even more if it's done at the expense of my fellow hunters and shooters. I've investigated 3 "hunting accidents" that were pretty much closed by LE, but re-opened after I provided them with additional evidence, and eventually changed to "suicide". It sucks that the family didn't get the insurance money, and I feel for them, but at the same time it would have sucked even more if the guy left this earth committing a fraudulent act.

Just talked to "Limpy" earlier today. I asked if he was going to apply to hunt deer on the island of Lana'i this coming season. He said that he really wants to, but cannot find anyone who will hunt with him. He asked if I would go with him. I've already decided not to go, so I guess he's out of luck, and the hunting area just got a little safer.

gf

I wish I could train my Yorkie,to shoot my guns,that way ,when I was not home,she could guard the house
    untill I got home. Boy,would the bad guys be surprised ,when being confronted with an armed dog.

See how accurate the news media is. A dog shoots someone. Yea right.

It was the fence that shot the hunter,when hunter,carelessly climbed over fence,to get to the other side.

Whats next,a unloaded gun,loads itself,and shoots owner,who is trying to clean gun.
    If only the news media told the truth about how guns save lives,and the positive side of gun ownership,
    then the only Fair,would not only be in Pamona.(You know,life is not fare,the only fair is in Pamona.)
    Last edited by spf159753; 11-28-2008 at 05:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12