How to get rid of Ammo - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of Ammo

1. old ammo

good suggestions offered, and this may not be the best, but it works.Put all the ammo in a tub of water and let it soak for a month....and then wrap it in a moist towel, tie it tight and bury it..2 to 21/2 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
    good suggestions offered, and this may not be the best, but it works.Put all the ammo in a tub of water and let it soak for a month....and then wrap it in a moist towel, tie it tight and bury it..2 to 21/2 feet.
    Are you serious???? Though the ammo may be rendered "safe", simply burying ammo may cause a lot of problems down the line.

I STRONGLY advise against simply burying any ammo.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Find someone that reloads and give the ammo to them. They can pull the bullets and reuse them. Also the brass can be reused. If the ammo isn't too degraded some may be still serviceable. I just pulled several hundred bullets from some old WWI 30-06 rounds. The brass was so bad that I could split the neck of the brass by pushing the bullet to the side with my thumb. I'm going to use the bullets to reload some of my 06 brass. I know someone would be happy to get your ammo.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Is it illegal to mail ammo?
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    Is it illegal to mail ammo?
    Yes, it is illegal to ship ammo via the USPS. The post office here in PRHI routinely x-rays the outgoing parcels. I'm sure that they do the same in other parts of the country. From what I undersand, it's a Federal Offense. Ammo can be shipped via commercial carrier (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.) The ammo needs to be properly packaged and declared to the shipper.

gf
    Last edited by Glock Fan; 11-26-2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: added information for clarity
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Back in my EOD days, we burned it. I wouldn't recommend this in your case though.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBlues View Post
    Back in my EOD days, we burned it. I wouldn't recommend this in your case though.
    They just burned some ammo in an episode of "Mythbusters". They found that the projectile wasn't as dangerous as fragments of the case when the cartridges exploded.

gf

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    They just burned some ammo in an episode of "Mythbusters". They found that the projectile wasn't as dangerous as fragments of the case when the cartridges exploded.

gf
    That's why we kept a safe distance away while the Jiffy Pop action was going on.

You do realize that with the new environmental law's anything you bury can come back to bite you should you move....
    Like I said before some old ammo has collector value, get a table or take it to someone that sells old ammo at the next gun show.

Take it to a range. Put a sign on it "Free Ammo" it will go away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast