NFL Player With CWP Shoots Self in Leg - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL Player With CWP Shoots Self in Leg

Burress apparently started trying to unload the gun and bobbled it. An accidental shot went off and went through his leg.
    Bobbling? What's that? Rather than "bobble", the article should have said "pulled the trigger".
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    Bobbling? What's that? Rather than "bobble", the article should have said "pulled the trigger".
    I was just about to point that out. I'm wondering what kind of gun discharges just from "bobbling." Any word on what kind of pistol it was?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I was just about to point that out. I'm wondering what kind of gun discharges just from "bobbling." Any word on what kind of pistol it was?
    It was one of those new "bobble action" models. Leave it to the media to mess up reporting on a firearms incident.

All kidding aside, one of my friends thought he read somewhere that it was a "Keltec PF 9". Not sure where he got his info, or if it was confirmed.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

wolfhunter Guest
    The PF-9 is DAO. How does one bobble a double action trigger? Or did the slide slip and a slam fire result while he was "unloading"?

Bobble?

I thought I had read something on this earlier today...

From the New York Daily News:

Mayor Bloomberg fuming over Plaxico shooting: Throw the book at him
    BY FRANK LOMBARDI, ALISON GENDAR and JONATHAN LEMIRE
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Monday, December 1st 2008, 10:04 PM

Sack 'im!

An irate Mayor Bloomberg demanded Monday that prosecutors throw the book at Giants star Plaxico Burress for bringing a loaded handgun into a crowded midtown nightclub and accidentally shooting himself in the leg.

Bloomberg slammed New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell and the Giants for not immediately reporting the shooting to police - cops learned of it from TV - and said it would be an "outrage" if Burress got special treatment.

"It's pretty hard to argue the guy didn't have a gun and that it wasn't loaded," Bloomberg said, lashing out at the man who caught the winning touchdown in the 2008 Super Bowl.

"You've got bullet holes in and out to show that it was there."

Burress had a loaded Glock semiautomatic in his waistband at the Latin Quarter nightclub early Saturday, when it slipped down his pant leg and went off when he tried to grab it, police said.

New York law requires a minimum of 3-1/2 years in jail for a conviction of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, the charge Burress faces.

"I don't think that anybody should be exempt from that," Bloomberg said. "It would be an outrage if we don't prosecute to the fullest extent of the law."

Not prosecuting celebrities would make "a sham, a mockery of the law," the mayor asserted.

The mandatory sentencing would not necessarily apply if Burress is offered a plea bargain.

Defense lawyers said prosecutors are loath to cut a deal. "The DAs ... have been very hard-nosed on this," said veteran criminal defense lawyer Martin Geduldig. "They expect jail time."

Bloomberg also railed against the hospital for failing to immediately report Burress was brought in with a gunshot wound.

"It's a chargeable offense. The district attorney should certainly go after the management of this hospital," the mayor said.

Bleeding and afraid to contact the authorities after the 1:50 a.m. shooting, Burress was helped into teammate Antonio Pierce's black Escalade, police sources said. The group tried to find a hospital that would admit them without calling cops.

At 2:04 a.m., Burress arrived at New York-Presbyterian, checking in under an alias, sources said. Burress told doctors he was shot at an Applebee's.

He was released at 1 p.m. Although Burress spent nearly 11 hours at the hospital, Cornell officials never notified police, as required by law, sources said.

Detectives, who learned of the shooting from TV news, showed up at the hospital at 2:30 p.m. A supervisor refused to release any information because of patient privacy rules.

"That is a statute that does not trump the law on gunshot cases," Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said angrily. "There was a universe of silence after this shooting."

The NYPD is investigating whether hospital staffers should be charged for failing to report the gunshot wound.

A Cornell spokeswoman said the hospital will investigate.

"Not reporting a gunshot wound is a clear violation of our policies and procedures," she said. "Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken."

A state Health Department spokeswoman also said her agency would investigate.

Bloomberg also blasted the Giants for not contacting the NYPD about the shooting.

"The Giants should have picked up the phone right away as good corporate citizens," he said.

A Giants spokesman insisted the team notified NFL Security as soon as it learned of the shooting, and the league told police.

[email protected]

With Henrick Karoliszyn and Thomas Zambito

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    Burress had a loaded Glock semiautomatic in his waistband at the Latin Quarter nightclub early Saturday, when it slipped down his pant leg and went off when he tried to grab it, police said.
    That sounds far more realistic. Too bad he apparently grabbed it on the trigger, simultaneously deactivated the trigger safety, and...

Having the gun stuck in his waistband was just one of many things that he did that was not very smart.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Why in the world would he do that with a Glock (or any gun for that matter, but especially a Glock)?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

10. NFL Player

On tonight's TMZ (Monday) they revealed he tried to cover up the facts surrounding the shooting by saying he got shot at an Applebee's. Given all the facts, I'd say Burress is a few french fries short of a Happy Meal.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Why in the world would he do that with a Glock (or any gun for that matter, but especially a Glock)?
    I'd venture to guess his lack of a holster is because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing with a firearm. It sounds like he also may have been carrying it loaded with FMJs, since he was still able to walk afterwards.

If nothing else, this dipstick should get a felony charge on his record that prevents him from purchasing, owning or even handling firearms for the rest of his natural life. He's a menace to society.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast