Called 911, but no one came in time
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Called 911, but no one came in time

Called 911, but no one came in time

Wow! So not only did someone not get there for 48 mins but they still have not been able to catch the scum bag that did this. What a shame a young life was taken for what appears to be no reason. She was 21 and could have legally owned a gun. To bad she didn't. Stay safe out there guys and practice, practice, practice!!!

Slain student called 911, but no one came in time - CNN.com

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Brittany Zimmerman, a 21-year-old college student who wanted to be a doctor, called 911 as she was being attacked by a stranger, police say.

But the police did not come for 48 minutes. By that time, Zimmerman was dead. Her fiance found her body.

Although the dispatcher claimed later to have heard nothing, the 911 tape captured screams, gasps and what sounds like a struggle, according to the court documents.

Spring was in the air when college student Zimmerman returned April 2 from classes at the University of Wisconsin to the off-campus apartment she shared with her fiance, Jordan Gonnering.

He was out when she arrived home. He discovered her body when he returned.

Zimmerman had been stabbed multiple times in her chest, near her heart. She'd also been beaten and strangled, according to warrants released recently. Watch an update on the case

Zimmerman managed to call 911 at 12:20 p.m. The call was taken by the Dane County 911 center and an internal investigation revealed the dispatcher did not hear any sounds that would signal an emergency.

Because of that, police were not sent to the apartment until 48 minutes after Zimmerman made the call. Her fiance was already there.

Dane County has taken some harsh criticism from the public regarding the delay, and tough questions have been raised about whether a prompt response might have saved Zimmerman's life.

Police are still looking for her killer.

"We are working diligently on this case, have generated significant leads, and are making progress," said Joel De Spain of the Madison Police Department.

The police said they believe Zimmerman was attacked by a stranger. Her apartment door showed signs of forced entry.

After interviews with Zimmerman's family, friends and acquaintances, investigators determined there was no personal motive for the attack.

"In fact, we have not been able to determine any motive yet in this case," De Spain said. He emphasized that police have no reason to believe Zimmerman was the victim of a serial killer.

During the investigation, police have tracked leads pointing to vagrants in Zimmerman's off-campus neighborhood. The vagrants often would knock on doors and beg for money.

"We are still investigating this avenue, but at this time we have not been able to develop any specific suspects," De Spain said.

Zimmerman's family and friends describe her as a loving, warm young woman, who had much to look forward to. She was engaged to the love of her life and had dreams of earning a medical degree, they said. She was idealistic, and her goal was to help people, not to earn a large salary, they said.

Other details in the released warrants reveal that Zimmerman was murdered in her bedroom, that her cell phone was found in "parts," and that her bloody slippers and bloody computer paper were recovered.

The murder weapon is described as a knife, two to five inches long. Police are not saying whether they have recovered it.

DNA was collected from Zimmerman's body, as well as hair, blood samples, footprints and fingerprints. So far, no match has been made to a suspect.

Zimmerman's family is offering a $14,000 reward, and Crime Stoppers is offering $1,000 for tips leading to the arrest and/or conviction of anyone responsible for Zimmerman's death. Please call the tip line at 608-266-6014.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

boyzoi Guest

Unhappy

This is so tragic........such a waste.
    I hit a pre-set for 911 on my phone once and realized in a split second what I had done and hung up.
    I mean in about 3 seconds the phone rang and it was the 911 operator wanting to know if I was ok and what had happened. I explained and she said please be more careful. I cant imagine a reason for the police not arriving for 48 minutes.

Tragic. Very tragic. As I have said before a similar incident happened in Dallas back some time in the 90's. Fourty five min. after a woman called 911 to report someone trying to break in her house the police arrived to find her dead. As many others have said before you are the only one that can protect you 24 hours a day.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

5. Right up through the court system, all the way to SOCUS, it has been repeatedly ruled that public safety departments have NO obligation to provide protection/services to individual citizens. Basically, these rulings say you "may" get assistance, but the truth is that you are pretty much on your own when it comes to your personal safety. For me that puts into very stark focus those who would disarm law-abiding citizens. Simply put, they are my enemies.

Regardless of the outcome, regardless of whether the victim had a gun of her own, and regardless of what the Supreme Court says about police responsibility toward individual citizens, a 48-minute response time by police officers is simply unacceptable.
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 12-16-2008 at 09:30 PM.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Regardless of the outcome, regardless of whether the victime had a gun of her own, and regardless of what the Supreme Court says about police responsibility toward individual citizens, a 48-minute response time by police officers is simply unacceptable.
    Absolutely!

But really, in any situation, ***** happens* as they say. Being armed gives a double layer of protection from the Murph Monster as it takes two SH. I mean, even if she was armed, she could have set the gun down, or dropped it, or whatever.

Having multiple layers only improves the odds, it never makes it error free.
    - FreedomsAdvocate
    Citizenship ought to be reserved for those who carry arms. - Aristotle
    My latest article on Associated Content

The police in Los Angeles pretty much agree that they cannot protect and serve as their motto suggests. It's up to us, folks, to protect and serve ourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomsAdvocate View Post
    Absolutely!

But really, in any situation, ***** happens* as they say. Being armed gives a double layer of protection from the Murph Monster as it takes two SH. I mean, even if she was armed, she could have set the gun down, or dropped it, or whatever.

Having multiple layers only improves the odds, it never makes it error free.
    Whoa, and would you say that if she had been a he? I think not. Properly trained, no one sets their gun down or drops it, male or female. Sorry, try again!
    Last edited by gdcleanfun; 12-16-2008 at 09:31 PM.

When seconds count, the police are only...almost an hour away!

Years ago I had a minor accident in Clay County (south of Jacksonville). This was before cell phones had the features that they do today, and I didn't have the non-emergency number for Clay Sheriff's Dept, so I called 911. I was on hold for a few minutes before an operator picked up. She asked my emergency, then put me on hold again. I waited for something like 15 minutes. Finally she came on and said she would have an officer call me back. Now this wasn't a super high-priority issue, but clearly they were vastly overburdened. If I had shot someone in self-defense, the body would be cold by the time they picked up the phone!

We waited for about half an hour, and it was an extremely cold night. My friend and I were sitting in my car burning gas to keep the heater on, and the other people were, too. Finally we all just said forget it...it was a commercial truck anyway, and I talked to the owner of the company who swore by all that was holy and right that he would pay for the damage. He did, and my car was eventually fixed.

The next day, I got a call from the Sheriff's Department.
    Last edited by toreskha; 12-17-2008 at 12:20 AM.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Whoa, and would you say that if she had been a he? I think not. Properly trained, no one sets their gun down or drops it, male or female. Sorry, try again!
    No implication on the 'she' (it was a she in the article.) My point was that EVERYONE makes mistakes, males, females and everything in between. Two layers of protection is better than one.
    - FreedomsAdvocate
    Citizenship ought to be reserved for those who carry arms. - Aristotle
    My latest article on Associated Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast