Carry Permit Background ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry Permit Background ?

Carry Permit Background ?

I want to get a carry permit but I afraid I may have a old warrant. About 12 years ago I got a DUI and missed one of the driving classes required. What's the chance a warrant was issued and would it come up trying to get a permit?

I guess I should go try to get it and if something does show up, pay the fine or whatever and move on. It's not like they would lock me up or something, would they?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug View Post
    I want to get a carry permit but I afraid I may have a old warrant. About 12 years ago I got a DUI and missed one of the driving classes required. What's the chance a warrant was issued and would it come up trying to get a permit?

I guess I should go try to get it and if something does show up, pay the fine or whatever and move on. It's not like they would lock me up or something, would they?

Thanks in advance
    Is your drivers license current? If so then you can breathe a sigh of relief that you have not been suspended. Typically the drivers license of the violator is suspended when the agreement is broken. Also, was the DUI your first conviction? This is important because subsequent DUI's are felonies in the State of Alabama. If you have not been convicted of a felony or any crime involving violence, then you should be okay. You may just need to apply for your permit to see if anything from that incident is still hanging over you. More than one DUI = no permit. By the way, if issued a permit, it is null and void while consuming alchohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    Is your drivers license current? If so then you can breathe a sigh of relief that you have not been suspended. Typically the drivers license of the violator is suspended when the agreement is broken. Also, was the DUI your first conviction? This is important because subsequent DUI's are felonies in the State of Alabama. If you have not been convicted of a felony or any crime involving violence, then you should be okay. You may just need to apply for your permit to see if anything from that incident is still hanging over you. More than one DUI = no permit. By the way, if issued a permit, it is null and void while consuming alchohol.
    Yes, my license is current and been renewed several times since then. Also, haven't had a drink since then either

Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug View Post
    Yes, my license is current and been renewed several times since then. Also, haven't had a drink since then either
    Good for You! It sounds to me like you have nothing holding you back. Head down to the Sheriff's office and get an application. Good Luck!

It may come down on how far AL goes back on their checks. If I remember correctly in SC they go back 10 years on vehicle offenses and a DUI could be a disqualifier. In fact too many speeding tickets can be a disqualifier also.
    Last edited by Red Hat; 12-17-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

7. Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    It may come down on how far AL goes back on their checks. If I remember correctly in SC they go back 10 years on vehicle offenses and a DUI could be a disqualifier. In fact too many speeding tickets can be a disqualifier also.
    Ohhhh I hope not. Ive had 2 speeding tickets this year. But none in the previous 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Ohhhh I hope not. Ive had 2 speeding tickets this year. But none in the previous 7 years.
    Those two speeding tickets aren't going to keep you from being approved for a pistol permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    Those two speeding tickets aren't going to keep you from being approved for a pistol permit.
    That may not keep you from getting one in your state glock. But in NH/SC like redhat said. Speeding tickets can keep you from getting your permit any law you break will keep you from getting one. It's not always the case but some times it is. I mean if you cant even follow simple traffic laws then why should you be given a permit to carry a weapon? traffic laws are one of the most basic and simple laws to follow. But again i have no idea what the laws are in your state. I do know My police department will not Issue a person a permit who has a DUI. As Open carry is legal in NH so if they want to carry they can still do so with out a permit.
    Last edited by S&WM&P40; 12-18-2008 at 09:57 AM.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Instead of wondering, you should go find out, get it taken care of if you do have a warrant, and then take things from there.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    That may not keep you from getting one in your state glock. But in NH/SC like redhat said. Speeding tickets can keep you from getting your permit any law you break will keep you from getting one. It's not always the case but some times it is. I mean if you cant even follow simple traffic laws then why should you be given a permit to carry a weapon? traffic laws are one of the most basic and simple laws to follow. I mean to many tickets for Jay walking could keep you from getting it ( there is no case of this ever happening) but it could. But again i have no idea what the laws are in your state. I do know My police department will not Issue a person a permit who has a DUI. But again they can do that as it's not your 2A rights to carry a gun concealed just that you have a right to have them. As Open carry is legal in NH they can still use there 2A rights and carry there firearm open on there side. Like the case that just went to court. A city worker went around and put copy's of his permit on his co-workers desks. They felt unsafe and his permit was pulled. He then took it to court and said his 2A rights had been stepped on and so on. They court came back and said You do not have a right to carry concealed just a right to keep and bear arms. They said that open carry is legal and if he still wanted to use his 2nd A rights he would have to open carry ( or something to this effect it's not word for word but you get the point).
    You are right. It does vary from state to state. I have never heard of anybody being denied a permit because of a couple of traffic infractions. In our state, if you are at least 21 years old, not a convicted felon or have never been convicted for any crime of violence, then you are eligible for a permit. Ultimately it is up to the Sheriff of the county that you live in whether or not you are approved. If he/she doesn't like what they see on your rap sheet (if any), they can deny you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast