Took "First Timer" To Range On Friday - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Took "First Timer" To Range On Friday

Teaching

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I have never considered becoming an instructor. That would be interesting to look into though, I think it's something I would enjoy.
    As Master Yoda said to Luke - "don't think, do!" There are a number of ways to get certified as an instructor, the most common one through NRA. Go to their site and see if an instructor program is in your area. Then get on a teaching team and let the fun begin.

If you have any questions just PM me.
    NRA Certified Instructor, Vietnam Veteran
    XD 9 MM, XD 40, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 5.25 Custom Canyon Creek 9 mm, XDM 9MM, XDM 40 Canyon Creek XDM Limited, CZ 75B, Ruger MIII, Buckmark, Beretta Neos, CX4 Storm

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    I was just browsing through and noticed that you went to Target Master in PA. I was recently there a few weeks ago with my dad, and had a really excellent time, however it is only the second time I have ever been. I have a few questions though, if anyone has some suggestions I would really appreciate hearing any ideas :) I started out shooting a 22, and then moved to a 9mm glock, model 26 I believe? But two concerns: the casings shoot directly back at me, very hot, not so comfortable! And I have a difficult time finding a gun that fits my hand well because I have very small hands. I haven't tried any other types of guns aside from the glock, and don't know a whole lot about the different guns and models available. I would love to hear any suggestions or information since I have just started learning about guns, and its wonderful to hear that there are others that have recently started showing an interest and don't know a whole lot about guns yet, it's wonderful to feel supported! :)
    let me be the first to welcome you to the site!
    the best thing you could probably do is to go to a gun store and hold as many pistols as you can and see what fits your hand best.. one of my pistols is a baby desert eagle. I have medium sized hands, but there are friends of mine who have small hands and they agree that it has one of the most comfortable grips for their hands as well. give it a try and let us know what you decide on!
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 12-23-2008 at 06:37 PM.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by defender829 View Post
    GabbyDP, I also have small hands, which was a factor in my decision to purchase a 9mm Smith & Wesson model 3913. It is also lightweight. This made it easy to carry while running 10+ miles cross-country, every day for years.
    It is very accurate, but must be kept clean and lubed for dependable operation.

Thank you for the suggestion! :) May I ask about why you chose to carry a handgun while running? Is it profession related or a personal choice? I'm interested in hearing some different opinions, or how you decided to carry a handgun for self-protection :) As I mentioned, I'm new to the whole concept and would like to get some more information

Scarecrow:
    Thank you for the welcome! :) I will definitely look into that. I have only gone to a shooting range a few times, so the concept is still very new to me. Do you have any suggestions or advice? :)

Thank you for the suggestion! :) May I ask about why you chose to carry a handgun while running? Is it profession related or a personal choice? I'm interested in hearing some different opinions, or how you decided to carry a handgun for self-protection :) As I mentioned, I'm new to the whole concept and would like to get some more information
    I wish I could still run like before (back pain forced me to quit). A friend and I started running in the Army, and my addiction to it returned months after arrival back home. A handgun, and sometimes a dog, were the best companions I could find. I chose to run in the woods, at all times of the day and night. During hunting season, nighttime was safest.

A handgun can give you the confidence to go places you might would otherwise be afraid to go. What did I think I might need protection against? Critters such as bears and big cats, and people. The only things I ever chose to shoot were snakes and armadillos.

It is our right and responsibility to defend our loved ones and ourselves!

I was just browsing through and noticed that you went to Target Master in PA. I was recently there a few weeks ago with my dad, and had a really excellent time, however it is only the second time I have ever been. I have a few questions though, if anyone has some suggestions I would really appreciate hearing any ideas :) I started out shooting a 22, and then moved to a 9mm glock, model 26 I believe? But two concerns: the casings shoot directly back at me, very hot, not so comfortable! And I have a difficult time finding a gun that fits my hand well because I have very small hands. I haven't tried any other types of guns aside from the glock, and don't know a whole lot about the different guns and models available. I would love to hear any suggestions or information since I have just started learning about guns, and its wonderful to hear that there are others that have recently started showing an interest and don't know a whole lot about guns yet, it's wonderful to feel supported! :)
    Welcome aboard. I have medium-sized women's hands though they are small maybe by most men's standards. I bought a Beretta 9 SB Compact and it fits my grip nicely. That said, I still shoot my full-sized 9 and both of my full-sized Colt 45 pistols, my 22 revolver, and I like to shoot my "assault" rifles (yes, I went ahead and bought them) and shotguns. Hand size doesn't matter as much as grip size or grip position in my opinion. What else matters is the *feel* of the firearm when you hold it in your hands or up against your shoulder, and your hand, wrist, and arm strength. Proper training matters, too. I'm glad you have someone who will go to the range with you. I've been lucky to have many good teachers and lots of support, I've always thought that not many women enjoyed associating with firearms. However, I recently joined an outdoor range just outside of town that's owned by a woman who shoots Cowboy Shooting. Sweet! Not that it matters who owns it really, I'm just tickled at the thought.

I like the advice that was given below. My 2 cents added, go to a store that has a large selection of pistols and revolvers (I like the huge selection at the Bass Pro Shop in Las Vegas but I don't know if all Bass Pro Shops sell firearms) and try out your grip on every single one, *grin* well, maybe a dozen or so different makes and models and sizes and calibers. Firearms are like cars, you have to find the one you feel comfortable sitting in. Also, do your due diligence online and find out about the different sizes of bullets. They might all look alike to the novice but they are altogether different when being fired as projectiles. Usually, the larger or longer they are, the more *kick.* Also, ask about how the pistol or revolver handles when being shot, how much of that *kick* there is, where the empty cartridges go flying to (yes that can be hazardous w/out goggles and hat and protective clothing,) and everything else you can think of. Take your dad with you to the store. He will probably have more questions to ask for you than you would have. Last, don't ever forget your hearing protection! My ears ring even with double protection, a sign of hearing loss. No need for that! Huh? What'd U say? Can't hear ya!
    Last edited by gdcleanfun; 12-24-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by defender829 View Post
    I wish I could still run like before (back pain forced me to quit). A friend and I started running in the Army, and my addiction to it returned months after arrival back home. A handgun, and sometimes a dog, were the best companions I could find. I chose to run in the woods, at all times of the day and night. During hunting season, nighttime was safest.

A handgun can give you the confidence to go places you might would otherwise be afraid to go. What did I think I might need protection against? Critters such as bears and big cats, and people. The only things I ever chose to shoot were snakes and armadillos.

It is our right and responsibility to defend our loved ones and ourselves!

Running at nighttime seems a little nervewracking! I've never lived in an area where the wilderness is the concern, it's always been people. I found in interest in handguns and self protection for a few reasons: I'm interested in criminal justice for a career; and being a young female, I really dislike feeling completely vulnerable and unable to defend myself should the situation arise. But that's just my personal opinion I'm still trying to sort through how I feel about guns as far as self-protection is concerned, at least for my personal use, and I enjoy hearing more about it and other's opinions .

Keep up the good work Templar and welcome GabbyDP. By the way I have carried before when I ran.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Welcome aboard. I have medium-sized women's hands though they are small maybe by most men's standards. I bought a Beretta 9 SB Compact and it fits my grip nicely. That said, I still shoot my full-sized 9 and both of my full-sized Colt 45 pistols, my 22 revolver, and I like to shoot my "assault" rifles (yes, I went ahead and bought them) and shotguns. Hand size doesn't matter as much as grip size or grip position in my opinion. What else matters is the *feel* of the firearm when you hold it in your hands or up against your shoulder, and your hand, wrist, and arm strength. Proper training matters, too. I'm glad you have someone who will go to the range with you. I've been lucky to have many good teachers and lots of support, I've always thought that not many women enjoyed associating with firearms. However, I recently joined an outdoor range just outside of town that's owned by a woman who shoots Cowboy Shooting. Sweet! Not that it matters who owns it really, I'm just tickled at the thought.

I like the advice that was given below. My 2 cents added, go to a store that has a large selection of pistols and revolvers (I like the huge selection at the Bass Pro Shop in Las Vegas but I don't know if all Bass Pro Shops sell firearms) and try out your grip on every single one, *grin* well, maybe a dozen or so different makes and models and sizes and calibers. Firearms are like cars, you have to find the one you feel comfortable sitting in. Also, do your due diligence online and find out about the different sizes of bullets. They might all look alike to the novice but they are altogether different when being fired as projectiles. Usually, the larger or longer they are, the more *kick.* Also, ask about how the pistol or revolver handles when being shot, how much of that *kick* there is, where the empty cartridges go flying to (yes that can be hazardous w/out goggles and hat and protective clothing,) and everything else you can think of. Take your dad with you to the store. He will probably have more questions to ask for you than you would have. Last, don't ever forget your hearing protection! My ears ring even with double protection, a sign of hearing loss. No need for that! Huh? What'd U say? Can't hear ya!
    To start, thank you for your support and suggestions! I understand where you're coming from when you mentioned that it's nice to have support from other women, because I agree, for the most part it's assumed that women do not associate with firearms. However, completely incorrect assumption! Personally, I think it's all the more important that we do have women that have an interest in firearms and self-protection.

I am definitely aware of the "kick" and where the cartridges go! The glocks tend to throw the cartridges down my shirt, so for now I'll stick to turtle necks while at the range! And the "kick" still tends to make me nervous. I'm assuming this is due to a lack of experience and general practice and that it will get better with time, but for now my aim is significantly worse when I'm concerned about the recoil! Safety goggles and hearing protection is always exercised, I welcome reminders and recinforcements though :smiles:

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Keep up the good work Templar and welcome GabbyDP. By the way I have carried before when I ran.
    Thank you :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast