Took "First Timer" To Range On Friday
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Took "First Timer" To Range On Friday

Took "First Timer" To Range On Friday

Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine and I went to Target Master in PA on Friday, it was his first time at the range. We took his Walther P22 and my Beretta 96 .40S&W. He had never previously fired a pistol and was a little nervous at first. Once we were set up on the firing lane I went over some basics with him to reinforce some of the info we had discussed earlier before we left. His first shot group wasn't all that bad and there was actually a shot group to work with rather than being all over the place. At that point I knew he would pick it up pretty quickly. Throughout the day his shot groups for the most part improved as did his familiarity with his weapon and range basics.

Long story short we went thru about 300 rounds between both of our pistols and he left the range with greater confidence in his abilities. As we left the range he very enthusiastically said "Hey, that was a lot of fun!" I couldn't agree more, we are already planning our next trip.

"Common Sense" gun laws. Common sense tells me that the gun didn't carry itself to the crime scene and pull it's own trigger. Punish the criminals, not the guns!

Exclamation Good work!

If you can teach him well and light a small fire...it will spread and you will soon have a lot more 2A friends!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

You both deserve a great pat on the back! Job well done!

Heck yeah it's fun!

Congratulations on the education opportunity!

I got my in-laws out at the range a while ago. My mother-in-law had never shot anything at all before and she had a great time. Now they've been talking about going through the motions to get their CCW permits (OH, so the get to take a course and stuff).

Hopefully they do it soon, then we can go gun shopping!
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

Glad to hear you two had a great time. Seems like there have been a lot of first timers at the gun shops and ranges over the mast month. I know a few people I never would have guessed come up and ask if I could take them. Sounds like you did a good job teaching him the basics. Soon you'll be helping him pick out his first gun!
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Good job, Templar! Have you considered becoming a CCW/Range instructor? With Obama about to take office in 29 days, we need as many of your kind as possible.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I was just browsing through and noticed that you went to Target Master in PA. I was recently there a few weeks ago with my dad, and had a really excellent time, however it is only the second time I have ever been. I have a few questions though, if anyone has some suggestions I would really appreciate hearing any ideas :) I started out shooting a 22, and then moved to a 9mm glock, model 26 I believe? But two concerns: the casings shoot directly back at me, very hot, not so comfortable! And I have a difficult time finding a gun that fits my hand well because I have very small hands. I haven't tried any other types of guns aside from the glock, and don't know a whole lot about the different guns and models available. I would love to hear any suggestions or information since I have just started learning about guns, and its wonderful to hear that there are others that have recently started showing an interest and don't know a whole lot about guns yet, it's wonderful to feel supported! :)

GabbyDP, I also have small hands, which was a factor in my decision to purchase a 9mm Smith & Wesson model 3913. It is also lightweight. This made it easy to carry while running 10+ miles cross-country, every day for years.
    It is very accurate, but must be kept clean and lubed for dependable operation.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Good job, Templar! Have you considered becoming a CCW/Range instructor? With Obama about to take office in 29 days, we need as many of your kind as possible.

I have never considered becoming an instructor. That would be interesting to look into though, I think it's something I would enjoy.

"Common Sense" gun laws. Common sense tells me that the gun didn't carry itself to the crime scene and pull it's own trigger. Punish the criminals, not the guns!

nothing better than taking somebody new to the range, great job. glad he had a good time also, I'm sure you will have a new Friend to go with. it's always more fun with somebody to go with, to practice and learn together.
    luckily I have skipjack and my kids to go with, and another friend joined the conservation club we belong to this year so thats even better.
    skipjack has taught me a lot. I have to thank him.
    "Victory at all cost Victory in spite of all terror. Victory no matter how long and how hard the road may be; for without Victory there is no survival."
    (Winston Churchill)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast