Best Conceal & Carry Revolver? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Conceal & Carry Revolver?

1. Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Are you sure this shoots a big enough round?
    probably not

I'm sure that Rht4162 is being totally facetious with his humorous suggestion of the 454 autorevolver.

In any event, I may me going slightly "against the flow" when I say that the revolver I use for concealed carry has an exposed hammer. It's a 5-shot J-frame Taurus 605 SH2 titanium 357 magnum. It only weighs 16 ounces so its great for concealed carry. I carry it in an Elite in-pocket holster and I have practiced innumerable quick draws without ever snagging the hammer on my pocket. I just drop my thumb down to the hammer and cock it in synchronization with the draw so the first shot is single-action instead of double-action. I don't know about the rest of you but, if I'm rushed, I shoot more accurately single action. Let's face it...that first shot could be critical. Anyway, I'm not knocking the revolvers with shrouded hammers, just expressing my preference.
    MOLON LABE

4. yes quite i was, though if you ask many there is a diffrence between what is the best for carry and what we would like to carry, do to real world circumstances, its like the difrence between idealism and realism gents

My BUG and sometimes primary carry gun is a 5 shot, S&W 340PD, chambered in .357, Scandium J Frame, tipping the scales at a mere 15oz loaded. It spends a lot of quality time in my right front pants pocket, nestled into a $7 Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Yeah, it kicks like a mule and hurts like hell to shoot it, but.....if I had to use it at close range under duress, I probably wouldn't even feel the mule, due to adrenaline. I hope I never need to use it, nor any of my guns. Best of luck and have a prosperous 2009! Montanna is a beautiful place!

Surfcc

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    Welcome to USA Carry Montana! Sorry to hear about the issues with the Taurus'. I lean towards S&W with revolvers, but that is just my opinion. I also like the colt cobra, but that has a hammer. I don't even think they make those any more, didn't bother to look. Ruger also makes some decent revolvers. Any reason why you are leaning towards a revolver over a semi-auto? Just curious. I like revolvers because I feel they are more reliable. I do love my SIG P220 though, so I can't really talk. Best of luck!
    Yup, they sure do make them and I just procured a brand spanking new one a month or so ago, Cobra Model CA-380, made in Utah, it's not a revolver and nowhere does it say Colt so maybe some other company took over. It has no hammer but it's a cute little bugger, fits easily into most any pocket except maybe a change pocket! Here's a pic. But mine's all black and stealth-like. The magazine says Cobra Enterprises, Utah, 380/32. It rests easily beside its mate, another cute little bugger, an AMT 380 "Kurz". I hear them whispering secrets to each other often, like twins with their own made-up language...

Happy New Year.

Thumbs up Me, too!

Quote Originally Posted by surfcc View Post
    My BUG and sometimes primary carry gun is a 5 shot, S&W 340PD, chambered in .357, Scandium J Frame, tipping the scales at a mere 15oz loaded. It spends a lot of quality time in my right front pants pocket, nestled into a $7 Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Yeah, it kicks like a mule and hurts like hell to shoot it, but.....if I had to use it at close range under duress, I probably wouldn't even feel the mule, due to adrenaline. I hope I never need to use it, nor any of my guns. Best of luck and have a prosperous 2009! Montanna is a beautiful place!

Surfcc
    I LOVE mine, too. I have the CT laser grip, which makes a big difference in followup speed for me. A friend at the range had the same model without the laser grip, and it made a big difference on our timing.

Once, while we were shooting .38's at some bowling pins, my "friend" put a .357 in the third chamber. Those things hurt even when you are expecting it. However, since I was only expecting the .38 (I think we were shooting "low recoil" ammo, at that) I darn near dropped the gun. OWWW!

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Yup, they sure do make them and I just procured a brand spanking new one a month or so ago, Cobra Model CA-380, made in Utah, it's not a revolver and nowhere does it say Colt so maybe some other company took over. It has no hammer but it's a cute little bugger, fits easily into most any pocket except maybe a change pocket! Here's a pic. But mine's all black and stealth-like. The magazine says Cobra Enterprises, Utah, 380/32. It rests easily beside its mate, another cute little bugger, an AMT 380 "Kurz". I hear them whispering secrets to each other often, like twins with their own made-up language...

Happy New Year.
    Guess they just took the name sense Colt no longer makes the Cobra pistol. Here is a picture of the Colt.

Colt Cobra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

First off, welcome Montana!

I too am a fan of the revolver for specific purposes. I am trying to get my wife in a class the beginning of Feb taught by one of my coworkers. I think the shrouded hammers are nice especially if you carry a purse as you can fire through and not have the hammer snag. (I am NOT saying they are for girls) My wife keeps my .357 in the headboard for the days I am on my 24's and she is home alone w/ the baby. I personally like my Ruger GP 100, and I know they make those smaller.

The only point to consider w/ the shrouded hammers is that you need a tool to get to the hammer mechanism to clean them. One of the guys I used to work w/ before he became a full time LEO just sold his airweight. Craig said that was his only beef w/ it. It opened up my eyes as a point to ponder. All in all, I believe they still are nice pieces. Good luck in your search, and if they do make models that do not need tools for this, that would be a selling factor for me at least.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". ~George Orwell / Rudyard Kipling

A Ruger or SW snubbie is always a practical choice for concealed carry. I have a handful of snubbies, but I usually use my Taurus 85UL.....and I agree that a .357 is a better bet in the winter for "layer penetration."
    Otherwise, .38 is always a good bet.
    "Never advance cheerfully on your late opponent without reloading. You may have used your last round, and he may not be properly dead and still spiteful." Major Hugh Pollard

Hi,

I discovered this thread while googling about revolvers.

I have a couple semi-autos, but am interested in obtaining my first revolver.

About .357s: What's the risk of one of those rounds actually going through a threat and striking someone or something unintended?

Thanks.

Andy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast