Best Conceal & Carry Revolver? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best Conceal & Carry Revolver?

Anyone? Bueller?

Lightbulb Well, a well aimed shot is ideal....

Quote Originally Posted by andywhite.net View Post
    Hi,

I discovered this thread while googling about revolvers.

I have a couple semi-autos, but am interested in obtaining my first revolver.

About .357s: What's the risk of one of those rounds actually going through a threat and striking someone or something unintended?

Thanks.

Andy

I believe that the risk of a center of mass shot from a .357 going through is minimal. Those bullets tend to do a very good job of mushrooming, consequently dumping all of their energy into the target.

You must remember, though, that you still own every bullet that leaves the barrel of your firearm, wherever it might roam.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

I second the S&W J frame. Load it with .38 Special +P's and your good to go. If you don't mind the sting and recoil of the .357 round then by all means load em' up.

Take a look at the new Ruger LCR, I just got one and it is a very nice little wheel gun.

Roy
    Dacono CO
    CCW, Ruger LCR, Winchester 94, S&W 686-3

Welcome! Go with the hammerless S&W 340PD chambered in .357. I believe the M&P versionof the same gun comes equipped with Crimson Trace Laser Grips. I carry my 340PD as a backup. If you want to go a little bigger, look at S&W's offerings in their larger framed Scandium wheelguns. Light guns that pack a big punch. Even though they hurt when you shoot at the range, if you had to use under duress, adrenaline will take over anyway.

Thanks, all!

How difficult is a hammerless revolver to clean?

I've been carrying a S&W 638 in a Kramer horsehide pocket holster for years now. Haven't worn either out yet.

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/dshane/Toys/DSC09141.jpg[/IMG
    - enfield

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    I've been carrying a S&W 638 in a Kramer horsehide pocket holster for years now. Haven't worn either out yet.

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/dshane/Toys/DSC09141.jpg[/IMG
    Excellent CCW revolver!

Product: Model 638 Revolver

Let me throw my 2 cents worth in.

I think your primary revolver should be like a primary auto. BIG!!

I recommend a .41 Magnum in a 4inch barrel.

Second choice would be a .357 magnum in 4inch.

Remember, it is NOT the length of the barrel, but the size of the handle that gives you away in concealed carry.

Also Magnums are made for 4 inch or longer barrels. Longer barrel more speed. Shorter barrel more noise and less speed.

Ballistics by the inch
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

S&W Model 10 Snub

Yup - A revolver is my favorite as well. Won't jam, no safety to think about in a stress situation, always a round in the chamber. Point and shoot.

The S&W J frames (5-shot small frame) are great guns - as long as you stick with the steel frames. The lightweight framed revolvers are great to carry - but hell to shoot. Load them up with plus P ammo, and you'll only have the first shot come close to the target - and that assumes you practice. I mean really practice like 99% of us don't do enough of.

I carry a Charter Arms Undercover . The Undercover is an alloy framed inexpensive knock off of the S&W J-Frame. It is a bit lighter weight than the Taurus 85 stainless (another economical S&W J-Frame knock-off) that I also carry. I can shoot the Taurus much better - probably because of the heavier steel frame. (OK- the Taurus does have a better trigger than the Undercover).

HOWEVER: My Real carry gun is the S&W K frame (6-shot medium frame) Model 10 with a 2-inch snubby barrel. They don't make these as a 2-inch snubby any more, but they are fairly easy to find on the used market. This gun is just a tad larger than the J-frames, and still conceals quite well. It is heavier and will shoot the dickens out of the J frames.

The Model 10 was the baseline for the model 19 .357, but as far as I'm concerned, any snubby in .357 is a bit too hot to handle for most folks. Like I said - it takes real and regular practice to attain proficiency with any gun - especially a small revolver with a powerful load.

Not many folks practice enough.

I include myself in the "not enough practice" category. And I probably shoot a bit more than most. Years ago I regularly shot over 1000 rounds every week in order to hone my skills for practical shooting competitions. Even at that, I never was able to compete with the big bouys that really burned up the brass!

Find a Smith model 10 with a 2-inch barrel and give it a try along side of a lightweight alloy J-frame. I guarantee the difference in shootability will amaze you!

Carl
    Last edited by crstrode; 12-29-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Typos

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast