Coming Home....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming Home....

Coming Home....

So, I have about decided to move back to the states after nearly three years living in Europe.

My shortlist of possible new homes includes Boise, Spokane and Portland (OR). Any comments on the gun climate in those three areas would be welcomed as contributions to my decision. My gun cabinet has been locked for two years and nine months so I am curious about the CCW mentalities, LEO attitudes, ranges and best shops in those areas. Hopefully, the three location limit keeps the thread at a manageable level.

Particularly, I am planning on visiting Boise within the next month to "look around" and am curious if there are any good indoor ranges worth a visit? Gotta get some range time in while I am back for a few weeks, as well as plan on introducing the new woman in my life to handguns. She took the weapons field-stripping course when she was in high school and is willing to consider whether she will take on maintenance responsibilities when we get to the US.

Ed
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

I'm sure someone here can answer your question, but let me just welcome you back!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by ecocks View Post
    So, I have about decided to move back to the states after nearly three years living in Europe.

My shortlist of possible new homes includes Boise, Spokane and Portland (OR). Any comments on the gun climate in those three areas would be welcomed as contributions to my decision. My gun cabinet has been locked for two years and nine months so I am curious about the CCW mentalities, LEO attitudes, ranges and best shops in those areas. Hopefully, the three location limit keeps the thread at a manageable level.

Particularly, I am planning on visiting Boise within the next month to "look around" and am curious if there are any good indoor ranges worth a visit? Gotta get some range time in while I am back for a few weeks, as well as plan on introducing the new woman in my life to handguns. She took the weapons field-stripping course when she was in high school and is willing to consider whether she will take on maintenance responsibilities when we get to the US.

Ed

Welcome back to the good ole' US of A, brother!

All three of the areas you mention are urban, and as a general rule of thumb, (with some exceptions), urban areas are generally more hostile to gun rights, particularly open carry, than rural areas are. Portland doesn't allow open carry. Boise does, and it is located in one of America's most gun friendly states, so you'll do fine there, even if you never get a permit. I don't know about Spokane, though.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

BOISE is without a doubt the most gun friendly as is all of Idaho. Boise has several outdoor ranges ind Impact Guns operates an indoor facility that allows full auto rifle fire, gun sales and rentals. They're a little pricey, but comparatively speaking they are probably quite reasonable. Boise still maintains a small town atmosphere

Thanks for the welcoming words as well as the info from astute!

I will check into Impact. Are they the same group that operated the big internet sales site?

Boise is on top of my list so far. I had lived in NW and Western Washington and encountered a generally friendly atmosphere but Seattle has seemed to be getting squirrelly the last few years, I had a very positive LEO encounter in Idaho a few years ago which went a long way towards making a good impression.

More info would be appreciated from any familiar with the areas and any private messages concerning less firearms-related issues (neighborhoods, employment and such) would be useful.

Thanks.

Ed
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Check out this link for a map of which states allow cc or not. Washington, Oregon and Idaho are all "shall issue" states, though I don't know about any local areas' restrictions. And, welcome home. Were you stationed overseas, or working in some other capacity? If you were stationed then we have a military and veterans forum on this site also that you might like to check out.
    Last edited by gdcleanfun; 12-27-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks gd! I went overseas in search of adventure, new experiences and romance (in the classical sense - wipe that smirk off yer face!). Ended up in Eastern Europe where I saw some new sites, learned some new perspectives on different cultural approaches, learned to appreciate my government even more and, inevitably it seemed, found romance (in the non-classical, much more intriguing sense). Now I need to locate my extended family into the most likely area for stability and growth. Oh, and get back up to speed with my hobby - shooting.

While I have an honorable dicharge noted on my DD-214, I came out on a medical 30-odd years ago.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Glad to here you are soon if not already back with us. Hope there are not a lot of changes, for the worse, with the new President coming in waiting for you. By the way I also think Idaho might be a good choice.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Isn't Ruby Ridge in Idaho? That was just plain scary! and wrong!

Just would like to say, "Welcome Home!"
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". ~George Orwell / Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast