Which has more stopping power 9mm or .40 Caliber - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which has more stopping power 9mm or .40 Caliber

Quote Originally Posted by NR232 View Post
    Now, back to your OP. Why do you want to swap models and calibers in the first place? What is your motivation? Do you have any defensive handgun training? Would't your money be better spent on ammunition and a defensive handgun class? ............................................ I appreciate your answer. The M2 has a better mag release and zero back strap to fall off if I was to drop the gun.. I like the idea of more ammo and a defensive training class .
    I've never seen the back strap fall off a handgun so that wouldn't even be a consideration.

What is it about the M2s magazine release that is such an improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    What is it about the M2s magazine release that is such an improvement?
    You should take a look at Wather's fancy European trigger guard mounted magazine release lever. H&K has the same crap. With the M2, they finally figured out that the US market wants a push button and not a lever.

4. It has a button in the traditional spot of just about all autos . As wear current one has like a lever in the trigger guard. Also the current gun does have a back strap that leaves gun un operable if it feel off after dropping it . Have I ever dropped it ? No but Murphy's law .

It has a button in the traditional spot of just about all autos . As wear current one has like a lever in the trigger guard. Also the current gun does have a back strap that leaves gun un operable if it feel off after dropping it . Have I ever dropped it ? No but Murphy's law .
    Oh God yes,get the M2.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

6. I like the 9 mm for capacity and shootability. That said I also love my Springfield XD Mod 2 in .40. Especially because with the ammo shortage in the last couple of years 9 mm was nearly impossible to find in my area. But I could find .40 in spades. I see no problem with having pistols in multiple calibers, especially as it can get you through a shortage, at least potentially.

I have a Walther PPS in .40Caliber They just came out with a Walther PPS M2 but can only find them in 9mm. I was thinking of trading for the new M2 model. With these new Self defense bullets out there I wonder if there is no disadvantage going from .40 Cal to 9MM ?
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    9 mm vs. .40 S&W has been debated over and over and over again. You can find a lot of answers by just using this forum's search function or Google. In short, all service handgun calibers have poor stopping power, which is why the standard argument is to choose the biggest caliber you can shoot fast and accurate with.
    What he said.
    The 40 has more potential stopping power, but there are several factors that determine whether that potential is turned into realized stopping power or not, the main one being ammunition choice. Inferior ammunition can turn any caliber into something relatively useless compared to others out there. Normally the gun would be a significant factor too, but since it sounds like you're using what amounts to the same gun, albeit with new features, the gun itself shouldn't be much of a factor. Essentially yes, you would be reducing your stopping power, but the small amount you're reducing it could be well worth it if it is necessary for you to have confidence in your weapon.
    Of course there are plenty of high quality 40's out there from other gun makers that could suit your requirements, but you seem set on staying with the PPS, so I won't add that argument to the discussion.
    So it basically goes back to what bofh said, that you should choose the biggest caliber you can shoot fast and accurate. We all know that shot placement is far more important than caliber or potential stopping power. However I usually don't say it exactly the way bofh did. I say you should choose a gun that you can both shoot effectively and carry effectively. We know shooting in self defense involves more than just being fast and accurate, but people sometimes forget to think about that when choosing a gun. Carrying effectively is also something way too many people don't think to consider, but it's very important because it directly affects your shooting ability. In some instances it may even be the deciding factor in whether or not you actually get the chance to shoot in self defense at all. Your holster choice is a major factor here too. Unfortunately too many people think only of shooting ability when choosing a gun, and it never occurs to them to think about how effectively they may be able to carry it. But I'm really just preaching here because you've already used a model of this gun and presumably have long since addressed effective carry methods.
    There is no perfect gun or perfect caliber, and what works well for one person won't necessarily work well for the next one. You may be taking a step down in potential stopping power but it's not a huge step. And if it address something that makes you uncomfortable with your current gun then that change may very well be a good choice for you. The 40 also has a reputation for 'snappy' recoil, particularly in short barreled guns, so your effectiveness with follow-up shots might actually improve by going to a 9mm. In that case your realized stopping power might be just as good with the 9mm, or possibly even better.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

8. From a gunstore employee, I get this question all the time. I tell people this.

A modern self defense bullet(hollowpoints) will do an incredible job of stopping an attacker. I hate the whole "most of the time" speak or "statistically speaking" things. If you need your firearm, you have already broken a statistic so that argument is silly to begin with. Best case scenario, the mere sight of a firearms scares the attacker away. Worst case scenario, you have an assailant doped up on a drug like PCP. That leaves you with no option but to inflict tremendous damage on vitals to protect yourself or others from potential harm. The difference between 40 S&W and 9mm Luger is noticeable in grains and velocity. 40 will stop quicker, expand a little more, and recoil a little more. 9mm is cheaper, available, and recoils less. The difference in "stopping power" is not important in a situation where hitting vitals is all that matters. 40 will give you a slightly higher chance of hitting your mark with the better expansion. 9mm will allow you to hit more accurately, quickly with the less "snap" felt by your first shots. 9mm is easier to train with(cheaper), and that is absolutely essential for self defense. 9 shows benefits in size for your carry pistols as well. The recoil is easier to manage in a smaller pistol. 40 better shows benefits in a service size pistol where the recoil is easier managed.
    If ballistics are needed to show you the difference, this is an excellent representation of popular carry ammo tested through CARRY pistols.
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self...llistic-tests/

Quote Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
    A lot of the government and police agencies are going back to the 9mm.

What do they know that we don't?
    I thought it was more or less because of availability and cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common handgun calibers are not "man stoppers".
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

9x19mm is easier to shoot.

.40S&W makes a bigger, deeper hole.

If you can shoot a .40S&W as well as you can shoot a 9x19mm. Shoot the .40.

If not, shoot the 9mm.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast