Which has more stopping power 9mm or .40 Caliber - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which has more stopping power 9mm or .40 Caliber

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Which basically says "shot placement"
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Since the 40 and the 9 are very similar, I would think whichever one you are more proficient with on your shot placement is the one you'd need to go with. Maybe with different pistols that handle recoil better or worse is what I would think one should consider but like for example, I'm pretty accurate with my grouping at about 15 yards with my full size beretta storm 40 S&W. Would I be even more accurate with one in a 9? Don't know, never shot one.

As I said I think it all comes down to the gun, the ammunition and the ability of the shooter.

As far as the magazine capacity comparison, how much more rounds would you have to sacrifice in a 40 over a nine? I didn't feel like doing the searching but in a beretta storm full size for example, comparing the 9 to the 40 only equals 3 more rounds with the 9 coming standard with 17-round capacity and the 40 coming with a 14.

As far as a side by side test to whether a 9 or a 40 is more lethal, that I don't know. If you're a crack shot with either of the two, I really don't think it would matter. I like my 40 and that's what I intend to stick with unless it all comes down to finding either one that will conceal carry good. Sorry to deviate from the topic but, does anybody make a compact or sub compact single stack 40? I've seen a bunch in a 9 but I don't think I've ever seen one in a 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Sorry to deviate from the topic but, does anybody make a compact or sub compact single stack 40? I've seen a bunch in a 9 but I don't think I've ever seen one in a 40.
    S&W makes an M&P Shield in .40
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

5. All factors involved, making a decision between 9 mm and 40mm comes down to personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by NR232 View Post
    I have a Walther PPS in .40Caliber They just came out with a Walther PPS M2 but can only find them in 9mm. I was thinking of trading for the new M2 model. With these new Self defense bullets out there I wonder if there is no disadvantage going from .40 Cal to 9MM ?
    Your criminal defence lawyer will cost the same either way.

Quote Originally Posted by throb View Post
    All factors involved, making a decision between 9 mm and 40mm comes down to personal preference.
    So you're saying in probably any given situation a 9mm will be just as effective as a 40?

8. Lots of information here. Ive carried both and my opinion is I wouldn't want to get shot by either. Ammunition has come a long way since the 40 was born and a 9mm working within the limitations of what a handgun is capable will serve the user well assuming this person is equally competent putting shots on target during a crisis. If you can achieve this you've already done better statistically than many officer involved shootings since roughly 25% of those shots don't find their target. I carry a 40 because I shoot good with it but I've also put 10s of thousands of graded rounds down range with it. I'd personally choose that over a 9 but not because I believe the 9 to be inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    S&W makes an M&P Shield in .40
    And made a CS40 until they got too many complaints about the recoil. Under 1" wide slide and a 3" barrel. 7.75" long overall.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

I'm kinda stuck choosing between a 9 or 40 for conceal carry. I guess I really don't have a reason why I prefer a 40 over a 9, I just like the 40 better but, I'm trying to be too much of a perfectionist on what I ultimately end up with both in the gun and what caliber it shoots. That, and even though the general consensus here says that for the most part neither is really more powerful than the other, a 9mm is still smaller.

I'd like to go small enough gun-wise just so that comfort won't be an issue but I'm afraid something small like that little smith and Wesson single stack MP that's available in both calibers would probably be too hard to shoot for acceptable shot placement and accuracy if it was chambered in a 40. I don't know, maybe I'm totally wrong on that.

I'm also even considering the Ruger SR40c and Beretta Storm sub-compact because they are considerably larger than the MP I mentioned and even larger than the LC9s Ruger, plus hold more rounds because they are double stacks and come available in both calibers. The only problem with those is that an ISW holster for them probably won't be as comfortable because they're wider guns and that they are a little on the large side for regular pocket carry.

I'll figger out something someday. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I'm kinda stuck choosing between a 9 or 40 for conceal carry. I guess I really don't have a reason why I prefer a 40 over a 9, I just like the 40 better but, I'm trying to be too much of a perfectionist on what I ultimately end up with both in the gun and what caliber it shoots. That, and even though the general consensus here says that for the most part neither is really more powerful than the other, a 9mm is still smaller.

I'd like to go small enough gun-wise just so that comfort won't be an issue but I'm afraid something small like that little smith and Wesson single stack MP that's available in both calibers would probably be too hard to shoot for acceptable shot placement and accuracy if it was chambered in a 40. I don't know, maybe I'm totally wrong on that.

I'm also even considering the Ruger SR40c and Beretta Storm sub-compact because they are considerably larger than the MP I mentioned and even larger than the LC9s Ruger, plus hold more rounds because they are double stacks and come available in both calibers. The only problem with those is that an ISW holster for them probably won't be as comfortable because they're wider guns and that they are a little on the large side for regular pocket carry.

I'll figger out something someday. Lol.

Treyvon Martin was killed with a discount 9mm out of a cheap gun.

There is no meaningfull difference between the diameters of handgun ammunition. Your time and money are better invested in the charge driving the bullet, the length of the barrel taking full advantage of that charge, and placing that bullet on-target.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast